cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coolpad Surf: 5 GHz WiFi?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Coolpad Surf: 5 GHz WiFi?

I own a Coolpad Surf hotspot which provides an internet connection to my desktop computer via WiFi. In the browser interface, I can select a WiFi channel in the 2.4 GHz band, but I see no option to select a channel in the 5 GHz band. I wonder if that is because my desktop computer does not support 5 GHz WiFi. If I buy a USB WiFi adapter that supports 5 GHz WiFi and plug that into my desktop computer, will that cause the browser interface for the Coolpad Surf hotspot to show that WiFi channels in the 5 GHz band are available for use?

5 REPLIES 5
Sprint Social Care

Re: Coolpad Surf: 5 GHz WiFi?

StevenBrown

Hey Steven! Based on the device specifications, it will only connect from 802.11 b/g/n to 2.4GHz. 

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Sprint_Kryshna,

I refer you to the specification for 802.11 /n, linked to below. It states
"IEEE 802.11n-2009, commonly shortened to 802.11n, is a wireless-networking standard that uses multiple antennas to increase data rates. The Wi-Fi Alliance has also retroactively labelled the technology for the standard as Wi-Fi 4. It standardized support for multiple-input multiple-output, frame aggregation, and security improvements, among other features, and can be used in the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz frequency bands."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009

So, that is why I asked the question. Will access to 5 GHz WiFi channels appear in the browser interface to the Coolpad Surf hotspot if I equip my desktop computer to operate on the 5 GHz WiFi band?

Sprint Social Care

I don't think it will access to 5 GHz WiFi channels because it only supports up to 2.4 GHz, even if you equip your desktop computer, at the end of the day, it is the device "Coolpad Surf" that we are talking about, and based on the specifications it only support up to 2.4 GHz. 

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Sprint_Kryshna wrote: "...based on the specifications it only support up to 2.4 GHz."

Where does it actually say that? From the Coolpad web site, the page at

https://coolpad.us/surf-sprint-boost/#tech-specs
the specifications state: 

Connectivity

LTE: B2/4/5/12/13/25/26/41
Wi-Fi Specs: 802.11 b/g/n
Max Wi-Fi: 10 Users
USB Type: Type A Micro USB
SIM Type: Nano SIM
Card Slot: No

There is no mention of WiFi frequency band, but it does state that it complies with 802.11 b/g/n, and 802.11n includes both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. Is it your opinion that the Coolpad Surf hotspot does not support the 5 GHz WiFi band, or do you know that to be a verifiable fact?

Sprint Social Care

StevenBrown,

You can be able to locate this information on the user guide of the device. Do you still have the box or the user guide by any chance? Here is the link here keep in mind that when the manufacture make a device they made it depending on the carrier specifications. 

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat