cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 3a - Sim Card cannot connect

Journeyman

Google Pixel 3a - Sim Card cannot connect

2 days ago I puchased an unlocked phone with a sprint contract from BestBuy.com.

The phone is a Google Pixel 3a unlocked, model GA00655. The phone came with a sprint sim card on the outside of the box (I was switching to this phone from Verizon). Unfortunately, this sim card has not allowed me to access the cell network.

After I failed to use the sim card, I attempted to activate using esim. However, I cannot login to mysprint to activate in this way because it tries to send a verification text to my phone number (the one which I am unable to activate).

Since then, I have been working more with the sim card, however no matter what I try it returns a "the sim card has locked, please power cycle your device and if the problem persists contact customer service."

I have already reset the networking, and taken it into a sprint store where they tried to make it work for an hour with no success.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Google Pixel 3a - Sim Card cannot connect

Hi Asaunde1! When you purchased this "Unlocked" phone with service from BestBuy.com, Did you select activate it now or activate it later? If you chose to activate it now with Sprint Service because of a lower price, Best Buy likely sent you a phone locked to Sprint service, even though you paid full price for it.  For us to unlock it, it'll need to be active on our network for a minimum of 50 days.  I've seen this before with another customer purchasing the same phone from BestBuy.com

I recommend exchanging the phone at Best Buy for one with Verizon if that's who you intend to use it with, service or a truly unlocked phone.  If you're switching to Sprint, you can use either the included physical SIM card, or use eSIM.  Activating with eSIM does require you to be connected to WiFI for the process to work correctly. 

Thanks for the reply! 

I did select activate it now. However, I've seen other people have this issue when they are trying to switch to another service in the first 50 days. I'm not trying to do this!

I am using my sprint provided card to attempt to connect to the sprint network that I paid for! The 50 day lock shouldn't therefore be the reason for my phone's sim card not connecting.

Got it.  Can you send me a PM with the following info? I should be able to get that phone active for you.  I'll try to get it going with that physical SIM first, but if all else fails, I can try it with the eSIM. 

Sprint Account #

Phone #

Account PIN or security question answer

MEID of that Pixel 3a

UICCID of the physical SIM card. 

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat