cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 3a XL - Android 10 Upgrade - IPv6 assignment block app(s) over mobile data

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google Pixel 3a XL - Android 10 Upgrade - IPv6 assignment block app(s) over mobile data

I upgraded my Google Pixel 3a XL from Android 9 to Android 10 yesterday. The app that was working just fine over mobile data (LTE) doesn't work anymore. It works fine over WiFi. This is a big issue for me. After spending 10+ hours on researching this issue, it appears that the cause of this is IPv6 assignment for internal IP address. If you go to Settings --> About Pixel 3aXL, you would see two IP addresses. The IPv4 address looks odd since it is 192.0.0.4 and it never changes even after reboot. The other is IPv6 address,  which appears ok and it changes during reboot. If you run an app that can identify the internal and external ip address, the internal ip address is the IPv6. This appears to be causing problem for my VPN app, which was working fine on Android 9. It works fine over WiFi. If i put the device in 1x mode, i get IPv4 and the VPN app works fine, albeit very slow since it is working with 1x.

I have a friend's device running on Android 9 (S8+) and it has no issue with running the same VPN app over LTE. On S8+, one of the two ip addresses under SIM status is IPv4, which looks ok 29/30.x.x.x and it changes when S8+ is rebooted. And this is also the internal ip address of the device (IPv4). This is different than my pixel 3aXL, which has 192.0.0.4 and never changes (appears some kind of a proxy).

I need Sprint's help to update my APN setting such that my internal IP address is IPv4 and not IPv6.

Most of the time APN are under user control under settings --> mobile networks, etc. In case with Google Pixel 3aXL, you have to use programming menu to even see it *#*#33284#*#* You need MSL code of the device to edit the APN settings. Why would Sprint/Google do this?

Please help. Thank you.

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Re: Google Pixel 3a XL - Android 10 Upgrade - IPv6 assignment block app(s) over mobile data

Hey there! I understand that this may an inconvenient for you. I'd like to know, is your device unlocked? Also, are you currently a Sprint customer? 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Google Pixel 3a XL - Android 10 Upgrade - IPv6 assignment block app(s) over mobile data

Hello. It is not an unlocked device. It is a Sprint version. I am a current Sprint customer. Thx

Also, where do you see UICC information? Thx

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

You can check the UICC info by going to Settings> General> About. 

You could also try these steps as a work around:

These steps will reset the current mobile network programming. After the reset, the device will require Sprint network coverage to activate. ...

1. Tap the Dialpad icon.
  2. Dial *#*#72786#*#*, then tap the Call icon. Note: The last * will not display.
  3. Tap OK. 
  4. The network settings are now reset.

Please let me know the outcome. 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Ciara,

There is no Settings --> General  --> About for Google Pixel 3a XL. I wouldn't have asked if it was that trivial.

Network Reset doesn't change IPv6 assignment. Though I did that already as well as Factory Reset since this was a brand new device and I didn't have much data on it. So it was easy enough for me to try.

I am not sure if I was clear enough in my original post. You need to change the APN Protocol to IPv4 under APN settings (instead of IPv4/IPv6). That forces IPv4 assignment only and not either IPv4 or IPv6. Please look into this carefully. Thanks.

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Let’s work together to find a solution. Please reply to my Private Message as soon as you get a chance. 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Community Manager

The ideal situation would be to contact the app developer to update the app to work with IPv6/Android 10.  We can force the device on IPv4.  This is not done via APN, it is server-side on our end.

@jb007 wrote:

I upgraded my Google Pixel 3a XL from Android 9 to Android 10 yesterday. The app that was working just fine over mobile data (LTE) doesn't work anymore. It works fine over WiFi. This is a big issue for me. After spending 10+ hours on researching this issue, it appears that the cause of this is IPv6 assignment for internal IP address. If you go to Settings --> About Pixel 3aXL, you would see two IP addresses. The IPv4 address looks odd since it is 192.0.0.4 and it never changes even after reboot. The other is IPv6 address,  which appears ok and it changes during reboot. If you run an app that can identify the internal and external ip address, the internal ip address is the IPv6. This appears to be causing problem for my VPN app, which was working fine on Android 9. It works fine over WiFi. If i put the device in 1x mode, i get IPv4 and the VPN app works fine, albeit very slow since it is working with 1x.

I have a friend's device running on Android 9 (S8+) and it has no issue with running the same VPN app over LTE. On S8+, one of the two ip addresses under SIM status is IPv4, which looks ok 29/30.x.x.x and it changes when S8+ is rebooted. And this is also the internal ip address of the device (IPv4). This is different than my pixel 3aXL, which has 192.0.0.4 and never changes (appears some kind of a proxy).

I need Sprint's help to update my APN setting such that my internal IP address is IPv4 and not IPv6.

Most of the time APN are under user control under settings --> mobile networks, etc. In case with Google Pixel 3aXL, you have to use programming menu to even see it *#*#33284#*#* You need MSL code of the device to edit the APN settings. Why would Sprint/Google do this?

Please help. Thank you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you @Em_Will_I_Am for the clarification. Did the server assignment change with Android 10 upgrade? If yes, then this would explain why the apps that were working on Android 9 on Pixel stopped working following the upgrade to Android 10.

I agree with you about the point that it would be great if apps and their associated server/network would be IPv6 compatible. Unfortunately, many folks are still not ready for IPv6 even as world is running out of IPv4 addresses. In the interim, while the compatibility with IPv6 is being addressed, can you please force my device to have IPv4 internal ip address? Thank you so much.

Also, can you please tell me where UICC information is for Google Pixel 3aXL? Is it through programming menu just like APN settings? Also, how can i tell which SIM is active? Physical vs eSIM? Can you folks also help with activating my phone on eSIM. That way, it can free up the physical SIM slot. Anyway, let's work one on one item at a time

Thank you and have a great weekend.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Wow, that's a lot to digest.  So let's make sure I have addressed everything.

Did the server assignment change with Android 10 upgrade?

No, the server assignment is on our end.  By default with go IPv6, but we can force IPv4.  I would think Android 10 and the app specifically have problems with IPv6.

can you please force my device to have IPv4 internal ip address?

Sure can! PM me your phone number.

Also, can you please tell me where UICC information is for Google Pixel 3aXL?

Your UICC is the number on the back of your SIM.

Is it through programming menu just like APN settings?

It used to be in settings but Android removed with the advent of eSIM.

Also, how can i tell which SIM is active?

If you activated via eSIM, then eSIM is active.  If you activated with a physical SIM, then that is active.

Physical vs eSIM?

See the previous answer.

Can you folks also help with activating my phone on eSIM?

We can, but it will be a pain in the butt because your device is already active.  Really no need to activate eSIM if the device is already active.  If you are adamant about it, then deactivate your phone and activate another phone.  Then reset your phone and go through the eSIM activation process.

@jb007 wrote:

Thank you @Em_Will_I_Am for the clarification. Did the server assignment change with Android 10 upgrade? If yes, then this would explain why the apps that were working on Android 9 on Pixel stopped working following the upgrade to Android 10.

I agree with you about the point that it would be great if apps and their associated server/network would be IPv6 compatible. Unfortunately, many folks are still not ready for IPv6 even as world is running out of IPv4 addresses. In the interim, while the compatibility with IPv6 is being addressed, can you please force my device to have IPv4 internal ip address? Thank you so much.

Also, can you please tell me where UICC information is for Google Pixel 3aXL? Is it through programming menu just like APN settings? Also, how can i tell which SIM is active? Physical vs eSIM? Can you folks also help with activating my phone on eSIM. That way, it can free up the physical SIM slot. Anyway, let's work one on one item at a time

Thank you and have a great weekend.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks @Em_Will_I_Am 

Wrt UICC, I meant where it says whether the device is locked to Sprint or the phone can work with any SIM card. That info is not there in GP 3aXL with Android 10. 

I gave my number and acct info to Sprint_Ciara and Sprint_Carlos and they were going to pass it on to you. Let me know if you got it from them (it's in the PM messages).

I won't worry about Physical SIM vs eSIM for now. Thx

Highlighted
Community Manager

Due to the change in the unlock process by Google, the UICC is no longer viewable in the device.  Once the lease is paid off, the unlock code would be sent out by Google or we can contact Google to request the unlock code.

@jb007 wrote:

Thanks @Em_Will_I_Am 

Wrt UICC, I meant where it says whether the device is locked to Sprint or the phone can work with any SIM card. That info is not there in GP 3aXL with Android 10. 

I gave my number and acct info to Sprint_Ciara and Sprint_Carlos and they were going to pass it on to you. Let me know if you got it from them (it's in the PM messages).

I won't worry about Physical SIM vs eSIM for now. Thx

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks @Em_Will_I_Am for the UICC info. Any update on IPv4 assignment for my pixel 3aXL? Thanks.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat