cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel XL (Sim card has locked)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Google Pixel XL (Sim card has locked)

I activated a Google Pixel XL (2016) last night but am having trouble keeping connected to the network.  I have a Sprint LTE connection for a couple minutes but then I receive a message "The SIM card has locked. Please power cycle the device and if the problem persists contact Customer Service."

Soon after (couple minutes) I lose connection to the network and my mobile network in settings reads "No SIM Card".  I previously had a Google Pixel (2016 non XL version) active on this line and did not have this issue.

I contacted customer service through chat and after 2 hours of back and forth, I was told my SIM card was not compatible with my phone and that I had to go into the store and get a new one.  This despite being the same exact SIM card active on my previous Google Pixel (non-XL version).  I have a hard time believing that the different variants of the same phone require different SIM card models.  My account shows the correct phone (Google Pixel Xl) on the line as activated but something's still not right.

My guess is that this is an issue on Sprint's end provisioning this phone for the network.  Can someone please help me?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Re: Google Pixel XL (Sim card has locked)

Thanks for reaching out. We know how important it is to stay connected. There are times when the SIM card go bad, causing all types of data issues. How long have you had the SIM card on the new device? When did the issue start?

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

The SIM card was activated yesterday afternoon and had the issue from the get-go.  It still exhibits the same behavior as when I first activated it.

-Stays phone stays active on network after phone is restarted or SIM card is reinserted initially.

-SIM card locked message.

-LTE Data available for short while. in Settings, Mobile Data shows "LTE", homescreen shows "Sprint". Can make and receive calls and texts, browse internet (without wifi).

-Phone connection disconnects from Sprint network.

-in Settings, Mobile Data shows "NO SIM card". "Sprint disappears from homescreen.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

It sounds like it is a SIM card Issue. Please visit Sprint.com/storelocator for a store near you and have the SIM card replaced. 

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

If this same SIM card worked yesterday on my other Google Pixel (non-XL) why would it not work on the Google Pixel XL that I tried to activate?

If it did work previously on another Pixel (as of yesterday), would it really be a physical SIM card issue?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I get what you're saying, however, some SIM cards will only work in specific devices models. 

Our recommendation would be to visit you nearest Sprint repair center, for them to be able to get the right SIM card for you. 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks I'll try that.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat