cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMEI Not Sprint Network Eligible on Google-Provided Replacement Pixel 2 XL

Journeyman

IMEI Not Sprint Network Eligible on Google-Provided Replacement Pixel 2 XL

I have been using a Google Pixel 2 XL on Sprint's network since November of 2017.  Last week the device bricked on me overnight and I contacted Google about the issue.  The device was still under warranty and they sent me an unlocked replacement device.  I've tried multiple times to activate the replacement device by using the automated system, chatting with support agents through both online chat and phone, and even went to visit a couple of Sprint Stores in person.  They all tell me the same thing that the phone is not eligible for Sprint based on the IMEI.  They then tell me that Google sent me the wrong device.  When I contact Google, they look it up on their end and say that everything checks out and it seems to be a carrier issue.

After reading a few posts on here with seemingly similar issues, I have a new glimmer of hope.  Is it possible to have my IMEI manually added to the network list to finally get this phone working on Sprint?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: IMEI Not Sprint Network Eligible on Google-Provided Replacement Pixel 2 XL

Hey Epiring30! Definitely sounds like a headache.  Can you send me a PM with the following info, so I can see what we can do to get it active?

IMEI of the replacement Pixel 2 XL

UICCID of the SIM you're using with the phone

Phone # you're wanting to activate it on

Account PIN or security question answer

Has anyone gotten this to work? I am having the exact same issue with replacement Pixel 2 XL phones not being activated when the IMEI is entered. If you have a fix for this please let me know.

Thanks

Journeyman

They told me that it could take up to 10 business days to manually get the IMEI added to their support list.  However, in my case it took longer than 10 business days and actually never got resolved by Sprint.  My solution and suggestion to you: CHANGE PROVIDERS. Their customer service is terrible as I had dealt with numerous Sprint people (online chat agents, phone customer service reps, in-store agents, and this forum) and no one could help me. If you have to do this every time you buy an unlocked phone, seems to me like they're just trying to muscle you into buying phones from them. Find a provider that just allows you to swap out SIM cards easily and save yourself this headache. I'm away from Sprint now and I couldn't be any more happy with my service.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

I'm sorry to hear you're issue was never resolved Epiring30. I'd like the opportunity to take a look into this for you. If you'd like for me to look into this for you just shoot me a PM.  

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

I was able to get a SMART agent to put in a ticket to add IMEI. I hope this works but from what I am hearing I shouldn't count on that. How can a common issue with the same EXACT symptoms have no solution and no one from sprint customer service not know how to handle these situations. I called Sprint customer service and Google and they all just seem to finger point at each other leaving the customer in the middle. The Sprint customer service agent had no clue what to do but the SMART AGENT did. It seems like a communication breakdown to me.  I will wait my 10 days to see if they can get this resolved. May I ask which carrier you are using now because I don't have much confidence based on my experience so far but maybe the SMART Agents can restore some of it by just fixing my issue by activating the phone received from Google. 

Journeyman

By the way I have been a Sprint Customer for 11yrs so I hope I can get the phone activated without anymore issues.
GrandMaster

no carrier will add every single device created into their database as a "just in case it ever comes here"...main reason why every one of them will need to add a outside purchased unlocked device to their database.

as explained in here..

including...

who you must contact...

how it needs to be added...

why it must be added...

how long it should take..

what info is needed in order to add it...

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Device-Solutions/SOLUTION-How-to-Add-a-Device-to-Sprint-s-database-B...

the agent has more than likely already fired in the info needed to the department that adds the device...so this post is mainly for information purposes only.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Sprint contacted me about my ticket  and told me my phone is not compatible and contact google since it cannot be added to inventory. Here we go with the back and forth finger point again? Seems to be a pattern here. I will call google as instructed and have sprint on the phone and listen to more of the blame game. This is not acceptable.

Journeyman

As expected google will send me another phone with no real way of verifying the IMEI will be right this time. I already told them that on the forums there are other people that had 2 phones sent and both did not work. Does this seem like a good plan to keep sending phones and "hoping" i don't run into the same issue? Sprint is saying its not compatible and google is saying it is. MORE FINGER POINTING . I understand the IMEI is not in the system....JUST ADD IT!!! Its the same phone model PIXEL 2XL this is amateur hour and I am confident Google will just send me another phone that doesn't work because i already know this happened already to someone else. I really don't feel like a valued customer so if this phone doesn't work I'm leaving Sprint and taking the phone they give me to another carrier that doesn't have a problem adding new imei to the system if its not there. If sprint can't activate it I will just take my business elsewhere to a carrier that can activate it or have more "Compatible Phones"
Journeyman

Google is saying these are the bands if if sprint is not compatible find another carrier.

GSM/EDGE: Quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/HSDPA: Bands 1/2/4/5/8
CDMA EVDO Rev A: BC0/BC1/BC10

FDD-LTE: Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/20/25/26/28/29/30/32/66
TD-LTE: Bands 38/40/41
Highlighted
Community Manager

By chance, do you know who contacted you?  I still show your ticket is still opened and we are awaiting word back from Google.

@drewbk718 wrote:
Google is saying these are the bands if if sprint is not compatible find another carrier.

GSM/EDGE: Quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS/HSPA+/HSDPA: Bands 1/2/4/5/8
CDMA EVDO Rev A: BC0/BC1/BC10

FDD-LTE: Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/20/25/26/28/29/30/32/66
TD-LTE: Bands 38/40/41

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat