cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola G5 Plus - Invalid Sim Card

Journeyman

Motorola G5 Plus - Invalid Sim Card

I've owned this phone for almost 2 years, bought it brand new at Best Buy unlocked. It was not purchased third party or for another carrier. I was on the MVNO Republic Wireless for awhile, and then I switched to my family's Sprint plan. There were no issues upon switching plans.

A couple months ago, my phone prompted me to update to Android Oreo 8.1. I did the update, at which point I ended up getting an invalid sim card issue after the update had completed and phone rebooted. I could not resolve this by rebooting the phone, removing the sim card and placing it back in. I went to a local Sprint store and they told me my something about my sim card was rare and they didn't think they'd have another one on-hand. They ended up finding another one like it, they registered that or whatever it is that is needed to be done, put it in my phone, rebooted it, and after about 10-15 minutes, it started working again.

This morning I woke up to find my phone telling me Invalid Sim Card again. This time I did no updates, my phone wasn't even plugged in so I don't think it could have done updates on its own. Powering off/restarting does not fix, re-seating the sim card does not fix. 

Do I need to get another sim card or what can be done to make this card valid again?

23 REPLIES 23
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Motorola G5 Plus - Invalid Sim Card

That's definitely odd that it's just randomly stopped working. We'll want to take a look at a few things on your account to make sure everything is lined up correctly behind the scenes and then try some troubleshooting. I'm going to drop you a PM so we can get some additional info from you. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

This same exact thing happened to me this morning, same exact phone too.  I tried the reset network settings of dailing *#*#72786#*#* , and that worked for all of 5 minutes before I got the same "invalid sim card" error.  Android 8.1.0

My phone now cannot make or receive any calls or SMS messages!

Definitely bizarre!  Well let's take a look at a few things on your account to make sure everything is lined up correctly, then maybe some troubleshooting. I'm sending you a PM to get some more information.

Journeyman

FYI, 2 days after posting this, I had rebooted my phone for a separate reason and the invalid sim card went away and my service was working. Then about 3-4 days after that, I had rebooted my phone and the invalid sim card came back. (Mind you, I had done numerous reboots during the time where the invalid sim card was showing and those didn't fix it, so it's not as though one reboot fixed it. It always works for about 5 minutes, at which point it then declares the sim card invalid.)

I went to a local Sprint store yesterday and they swapped out the sim card and rebooted, initially it still said invalid sim card. Then it said it was doing some network configuration, and then it said something about a network update, at which point the invalid sim card issue went away. 

I'm assuming Sprint made some change to some aspect of their network that affects some devices which causes that sim card issue. I don't know why it requires changing sim cards to resolve but I guess it's better than not having a solution at all.

Journeyman

My phone is still out of order... Sprint support on this forum took my information, but still no fix.  I have tried both rebooting and resetting the network settings multiple times with no success.  When I do the reset, it will show a network for a few minutes, then I get the "invalid sim card" message again and it's dead.  :-(

Highlighted

Can you get a new SIM? The previous customer stated he was able to get it fixed with a new SIM.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

How do I get a new SIM?  There are no Sprint stores near me.

You can order one through TeleSales. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

I am having the same issue(s). Was out today and couldn't make a call. It said "Network not available," then "SIM Card Invalid." I already went through all this in March when I traveled to CA. Had to go into a SPrint Store and they put in a new SIM Card. Was fine until today. Came home, removed SIM card, cleaned off contacts, put it back in. Started working again. This maddening, and making my cell phone totally unreliable...as a phone!

Journeyman

I got an invalid SIM card message about a week ago. I simply shut down my phone and restarted. Last night it happened again, and has been continually happening. I spent about an hour on the phone last night with Sprint support, who had me try everything. 

Later this morning,  I will go to an official Sprint store, and hopefully solve the problem.

I must say that the Sprint support representatives I dealt with last night on the phone were great. However, I am surprised to see that others were having the exact same problem with the invalid SIM card, and Sprint has not been able to come up with a solution. 

Were you able to get the SIM issue resolved at the store today?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat