cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No voicemail notifications on Moto G6

Journeyman

No voicemail notifications on Moto G6

I activated a Moto G6 on Ting, which uses the Sprint network.  Whenever someone leaves me a voicemail, I do not get any notification on the phone that there is a message.  My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S4, also on Ting, and I had no problems with the voicemail notifications. 

On the new Moto G6, I have notifications turned on for all apps, and I went into the dialer Settings | Voicemail | Notifications and made sure Notification Sound is on and "Show notification dot" is turned on.  I do not have a visual voicemail app installed.  Shouldn't I still get a notification from the carrier that there is a voicemail as long as I have voice service, even if there is no data service available?  Ting suggested doing a factory reset on the phone, but I doubt that it needs a reset because it is brand new. I'll try a reset if that's my only option. Any other suggestions on how to fix the problem of not being notified when I have a voicemail waiting?

8 REPLIES 8
Community Manager

Re: No voicemail notifications on Moto G6

Could be a lack of service option code that on the account.  Although Ting runs on the Sprint network, we are unable to pull up the account to check for provisioning. In this case, you would have to contact Ting.  Could be something as simple as VVM Notification = False.

@jbirdtx wrote:

I activated a Moto G6 on Ting, which uses the Sprint network.  Whenever someone leaves me a voicemail, I do not get any notification on the phone that there is a message.  My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S4, also on Ting, and I had no problems with the voicemail notifications. 

On the new Moto G6, I have notifications turned on for all apps, and I went into the dialer Settings | Voicemail | Notifications and made sure Notification Sound is on and "Show notification dot" is turned on.  I do not have a visual voicemail app installed.  Shouldn't I still get a notification from the carrier that there is a voicemail as long as I have voice service, even if there is no data service available?  Ting suggested doing a factory reset on the phone, but I doubt that it needs a reset because it is brand new. I'll try a reset if that's my only option. Any other suggestions on how to fix the problem of not being notified when I have a voicemail waiting?

Journeyman

I contacted Ting, and they reset my voicemail.  They also had me reset network settings and reactivate the phone.  They said the problem isn't VVM Notification = False since they reset the voicemail and checked everything.  I am still having the same problem.  Ting said they've had this problem several times with Moto G6 users.  They said the best I can do is try an app like YouMail, and wait to see if Sprint releases an update for the phone.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hmmmm... Not sure if I buy it because with that logic no Moto G6 would work on our network. PM me your phone number and see if I can see anything on this end.

@jbirdtx wrote:

I contacted Ting, and they reset my voicemail.  They also had me reset network settings and reactivate the phone.  They said the problem isn't VVM Notification = False since they reset the voicemail and checked everything.  I am still having the same problem.  Ting said they've had this problem several times with Moto G6 users.  They said the best I can do is try an app like YouMail, and wait to see if Sprint releases an update for the phone.

Journeyman

I was curious if this was ever resolved for the original poster.

I have this problem as well. Also a Ting user. Bought my daughter an unlocked Moto G6 (SKU XT1925-6) at CostCo on Black Friday. Voicemail hasn't worked since we bought it. Tried the built-in Google Dialer app as well as the Sprint Visual Voicemail app (which works on our Samsung phones just fine through Ting as well as my daughter's previous Galaxy SIII through Ting). The dialer is configured and works fine for calls, but new voicemail notifications never show up. The Sprint Visual Voiemail App gives an "Account verifiation error, Communiation with the Voicemail-to-Text server has timed out. We will continue to verify your Voicemail-to-text account status in the background. Voicemail service will not be interrupted while we verify the account status."

End result is, whenever she gets a voicemail, she instead gets a text message that she has a voicemail and to dial in and listen to it the pre-smartphone way.

I wondered if since Sprint doesn't actually sell the G6 if it isn't fully compatible with your systems and since you don't sell it if you aren't updating the Visual Voicemail app to be compatible with it.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Since Ting is only using the Sprint spectrum, not actually a Sprint network service, our software updates wouldn't be applicable for the phones that are on Ting. The Visual Voicemail software should be updated and managed by Ting. Have you spoken with Ting about whether the Visual Voicemail is set up properly on her line?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

This has not been fixed for me. I did a factory reset on the phone today, and I still have the problem. I tried installing Visual Voicemail, and it doesn't doesn't indicate that I receive voicemails or allow me to listen to voicemails. I don't get a text that shows I received a voicemail either. I get nothing. I missed an appointment recently because I didn't get a notification. Very irritating. Neither Ting nor Sprint has been able to resolve this. How were you able to get it to send you a text when you received a voicemail?
Journeyman

It just happened. I didn't sign up for it. Given it is my daughter's phone and she is 99.9% texting, this isn't something we've experienced much. Mostly when I've had time to mess with it (which is when I can pry it out of her sleeping hands).

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Howdy jbirdtx. As much as I would love to assist you, I'm unable to access your account to properly trouble shoot the phone. Normally we would refresh the phone, or even completely restart the voicemail. 

I understand that Ting uses the Sprint network, but that does not make your account a Sprint account. I also use a prepaid service, and that service also uses the Sprint network, as well as others. But if I'm having trouble with my phone I reach out to my prepaid company. In this case I would suggest contacting Ting. I was able to find the following info online for you: Ting customer support: 1.855.846.4389. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat