cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

Journeyman

Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

I have 2 pixel 3 xl phones and both of them will often get stuck on 3g and not switch back to lte until I toggle airplane mode, then they will switch back to lte and stay for a while then at some point if they fall back to 3g they will get stuck on 3g even though I am in an area with strong lte coverage.  Please help.

198 REPLIES 198
Journeyman

Re: Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

BTW, these phones were purchased new from Google and seemed to be fine the first month but since around January we have been having issues. Our previous Samsung s7 edge phones on Sprint didn't have these problems.
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Have you done any troubleshooting on these phones, like a data profile update?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

This is a very serious and annoying issue that Sprint needs to comment on, and soon.  I too (and I take it many of us have), have been battling this issue for a few months now.  By the looks of things, it seems to be most BYOD phones currently, or at least the Pixel devices.

"Being stuck on 3G" isn't the only problem or symptom.  This is happening multiple times throughout the day.

More often than not, I am now roaming, instead of being on 3G.  When I do drop into roaming, the phone time is off by quite a few hours, so the location is obviously being detected wrong.

Without fail, I go into carrier settings and update device config to reactivate the phone.  I then have my 4G LTE back and everything is fine again, for a little while.

While reading through other posts, one user suggested they were turning on airplane mode and back off, I just tried it, and can too verify this also works.

Every once in a great while I receive a PRL update when I check, but there aren't any to speak of at the moment.  I am constantly checking, hoping a fix is delivered shortly.

This is OBVIOUSLY a SPRINT issue, not a phone issue. 

This needs to be fixed, and quickly.

This definitely looks like something I need my Tech Guru to look into.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

Yes, I have done every trouble shooting procedure I could find.  I spoke to Sprint tech support, I searched the internet and have tried everything out there.  This seems to be a problem with Sprint not working well with some unlocked phones.

Thank you for following up. I've got it sent off to the Tech Department. Please allow us some time to work with this. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

Thank you so much for looking into this. I have read numerous complaints in different forums on the internet and some people just accept it or decide to switch networks. I'm just surprised this hasn't been brought to light earlier. Maybe issues like this is why Sprint has a poor reputation with coverage and speed because so many devices are not working properly. My previous Samsung had no issues like this.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this and I am hoping it can be fixed because I would hate to leave Sprint after being with Sprint for over 15yrs.
Highlighted

@riyatch and @PolarOx, Will you both got through the basic troubleshooting steps for me? The data profile update is as follows: 

1. From the home screen, swipe down the Status bar.

Note: The device must be in a Sprint coverage area to update the Data Profile. To verify Sprint Coverage, visit the Sprint website at coverage.sprint.com.

2. Tap the Settings icon.

3. Tap More.

4. Tap Cellular networks.

5. Tap Carrier settings.

6. Tap Update device config.

7. Once the update is complete, tap OK.

8. The data profile is now up to date.

Then I would like you to reset the network settings. The steps are: 

1. These steps will reset the current mobile network programming. After the reset, the device will require Sprint network coverage to activate. Verify your coverage at coverage.sprint.com.

From the home screen, tap the Phone icon.

2. Tap the Dialpad icon.

3. Dial *#*#72786#*#*, then tap the Call icon.

Note: The last * will not display.

4. Tap OK.

The device will power off and restart.

5. The network settings are now reset.

Please let me know as soon as the steps are done, and what type of coverage you have at that time. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Journeyman

Hi Redcruzer,
I have done both those steps multiple times which temp fixes the issue. Also, resetting netwirk connections provides temp fix. Also, reprovisioning the phones provides a temp fix. I will do it again but I did do both procedures a few days ago.
Journeyman

As far as update device settings, I do this multiple times throughout the day.

I did do that again, as requested.  (I had 4G LTE coverage at the time, as I had just performed this procedure within the last hour).

I have also reset the network settings using the described dialpad procedure, and restarted my phone.

I still have the same 4G LTE coverage after reboot.  

SprintDM auto configuring mobile network after reboot.

After SprintDM auto configure, still same 4G LTE coverage.

I will report back on Monday to let you know if I have dropped service type at all over the weekend (if it's not fixed, it will stop being in 4G coverage within the next 4 hours).

Thank you,

PolarOx

@riyatch, I understand that you've done it before. But sometimes things get lost in translation, so I have to have you try again. I appreciate your patience. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat