cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

Community Manager

Re: Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

An update of sorts... We are in current conversations with Google and ever example given to me have been forwarded on.  Thanks to all who have reached out.  Internally, at Sprint a lucky engineer is scheduled to drive around problem spots reported from the Kansas City examples with logging equipment and various Pixels.  

From a personal standpoint, from the examples I've seen, there is a high amount of 3G usage.  Using my own Pixel 3 XL usage, I'm on LTE literally 99% of the time:

Capture.PNGPersonal Data Use on my Pixel 3XL

Most of the examples sent to me, there is a high 3G usage, in some cases as high as 50%.  Now, full disclosure, some examples, people were just in bad LTE coverage and the device is just making due with bad coverage.  Now I have also seen examples in great LTE coverage but performance is not there.  I've also checked it against other devices (Samsungs, Apples, and LGs) within the same area.

True, it is not isolated to Sprint because I've seen complaints on all carriers of the same behavior.  Now, would I call it widespread?  No, I would not.  I know widespread is subjective especially when you are going through it, but given the number of Pixels we have on our network compared to calls to care and tickets created, it's nothing.  Just because it's not widespread, does not mean it's not a problem.  So, it will still be investigated.  Hopefully, next week we can get some debugging logs and go from there, but so far the biggest challenge is duplication.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Perhaps it is a coverage issue with the way that these particular models respond to weak coverage and reactivating LTE. I previously had an iphone 6s on sprint and found that it also had poor LTE coverage in this area but would properly return to LTE when it presumably could.

Thanks for your dedication to this, Will.

Journeyman

If it's isolated to just a few phones, and Sprint can see unusual 3G use, will there be a possibility of replacing affected devices?  Especially since they are more than likely leased?  

Community Manager

A couple of challenges I can think of offhand.  1. The vast majority of the examples I received are the OM version, the one purchased from Google.  2) An identifier would have to be determined such as an ESN range or manufacturing location.

@Beaum wrote:

If it's isolated to just a few phones, and Sprint can see unusual 3G use, will there be a possibility of replacing affected devices?  Especially since they are more than likely leased?  

Journeyman

Hmm. Well I got mine at a Sprint store.  I just updated to Android 10, maybe that will help?  I'll report back.  

Journeyman

I just upgraded to Android 10. 

VoLTE is working !!!!

Journeyman

But what happens if you get stuck on 3G? 😂
Journeyman

The issue seems to have correcTed itself. My phone is switching back to LTE 

Journeyman

Just updated Pixel 3 XL to Android 10 last night... starting to regret it. Cell service is cutting in and out when I talk to people; have tried with several phones on other carriers to confirm it's mine and not theirs. Not sure why cell service would be getting worse. Updated device config and PRL carrier settings after OS update... Have already sent my APN settings in to @Em_Will_I_Am 

Journeyman

Make sure VoLTE is disabled. As we all know, LTE service is weaker than traditional 1xrtt, thus your voice calls will have a hard time connecting and staying connected if you are in weak LTE.

Journeyman

Dumb question, but how do I disable VoLTE? Carrier settings? Thanks!

Journeyman

Settings, Network and Internet, mobile network.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat