Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

Well this is frustrating

Add me to the list of people that are back to having an issue with being stuck on 3g and having to toggle airplane mode to get 4g to lick in again.

Issues started again after the security update.

What's going on?

Sprint Social Care

Hi glenngg ! This does not sound good. How often does this happen? Are calls and texts being affected too? Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hi @Sprint_Ciara , yes, I have done the steps that we're suggested at the beginning of this thread.

@Em_Will_I_Am was supposedly looking into this but we haven't heard from him in quite sometime.

Probably because the issue seemed to have cleared up for awhile with a security update.  Unfortunately now it would seem the most recent security update has broken things again.

This typically happens when traveling between work and home.  Both of which have decent LTE coverage.  I think somewhere along the trip there is a dead spot and drops to 3g but doesn't go back to LTE unless airplane mode is cycled.

Calls and texts do not seem to be affected.

Let me know if you have any new troubleshooting steps or if there is something I can do to help you figure out how to solve this issue.

Sprint Social Care

I get what you're saying and how inconvenient this could be. This appears to be an outdoor coverage limitation. Most of the issues come when there is a spot of poor coverage between the towers and the phone moves out of coverage ( or to roaming) and that causes the drop on the services.
There are factors that can also affect the coverage, such as in a valley, right next to a mountain, hill, or large building, or almost exactly halfway between 2 towers. In these locations, you are losing coverage from one tower before picking up the next one.

I know you tried some steps on this forum, when was the last time you did so?

You may try these steps one more time like a working around:

1. Dial *#*#72786#*#*, then tap the Call icon.

Note: The last * will not display.

2. Tap OK.

The device will power off and restart.

3. The network settings are now reset.

Please let me know as soon as the steps are done, once you test it, please let me know if you see any improvements. 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Community Manager

Yeah, the problem seem to have disappeared once Android 10 came on the scene.  PM me your work and home address and I will check the route and see what's up.

@glenngg wrote:

Hi @Sprint_Ciara , yes, I have done the steps that we're suggested at the beginning of this thread.

@Em_Will_I_Am was supposedly looking into this but we haven't heard from him in quite sometime.

Probably because the issue seemed to have cleared up for awhile with a security update.  Unfortunately now it would seem the most recent security update has broken things again.

This typically happens when traveling between work and home.  Both of which have decent LTE coverage.  I think somewhere along the trip there is a dead spot and drops to 3g but doesn't go back to LTE unless airplane mode is cycled.

Calls and texts do not seem to be affected.

Let me know if you have any new troubleshooting steps or if there is something I can do to help you figure out how to solve this issue.

Journeyman

The issue keeps getting worse now and now im stuck on 3g most of the time.  I have to constantly toggle airplane mode.

Journeyman

@Sprint_Ciara @Em_Will_I_Am 

I appreciate your replies.

I reached out to Google tech support as well and they had me go into settings, advanced, reset options and reset wifi, mobile and Bluetooth.  

Uncheck erase downloaded Sims and then reset settings.

Perhaps this was already mentioned earlier in the thread but I didn't go back to check.

So far, I have not seen the issue return and the switch from 3g to LTE and back seems to be working.  But it has only been 2 days.  I will report back in a few days.

Journeyman

@glenngg @Em_Will_I_Am 

Just to let you guys know, I also did this and it seemed to work for a little bit then the same behavior came right back.

Also, unchecked the box to erase the sim.  Was tempted to leave that box checked but im assuming that would erase my esim data.

Journeyman

Do you happen to have the code for the LG V40 so I can try this as well?
Journeyman

@riyatch have you done it since receiving the dec update? How long did it seem to work?

Google said if the problem persisted they would proceed with a warranty claim but I don't think it's a defective hardware issue so there's probably no point in that.

Journeyman

@Ian6930087 if you mean the code that @Sprint_Ciara provided earlier yours is most likely ##72786#

It should reset the provisioning.

Journeyman

@glenngg 

Mine lasted for about 1 day.  Did to my wife's pixel 3xl and hers lasted a couple days.  We take different routes to work.  Seems to happen after connecting to certain towers.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat