cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

@Sprint_Ciara- this is an issue with the December Google Pixel update.

Google needs to fix it. Sprint should be working with Google to resolve, or, Google should be working with Sprint to resolve.

Even if the eSIM (or regular SIM) is refreshed or replaced, the phone will still do this when switching towers. Randomly. 

Signal drops. It looks to reconnect. Sometimes it connects normally, or partially. More often, it drops to 3G or even roaming.

This seems to affect 3, 3XL, 3a, and probably the 4/4XL.

Sprint Social Care

coffeebeans I totally agree. I guess everyone is already aware of these issues. In all cases, I have already reported this. 

Do you personally own a Google phone? Did you go through the same troubleshooting steps? 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Yes. 3a.

Looks like there is someone at Google that knows about the problem.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/20315536?msgid=20979015

Possible fix at some point. Hopefully in the January update.

Thank you for reporting!

Sprint Social Care

Thank you for sharing! Hopefully, this will be resolved soon. 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Community Manager

OK folks...Keep in mind I have to be very careful in what I can say because I have not been cleared to what I can publicly say.  So, when the follow-up questions come, please forgive my lack of answers.  With that said,  there is good news and there is bad news.

Good news...the root cause has been identified.  Much thanks to our Florida customer who was able to obtain logs for us with our logging device.

Bad News...There is a fix that is tentatively set for 1Q2020.  The keyword is "tentatively" and that date may get pushed back.  I have a date, but I try not to put dates on here because inevitably when the date comes and goes I get a lot of "YOU ARE A LIAR @Em_Will_I_Am!!!" and also I have not been given the permission to post the date.  Usually, I try to be a rebel on here and post stuff and ask for forgiveness later, but I was explicitly told not to when I was given this information last week.  I've been trying to negotiate since that time what I can and cannot say.  I'm only answering now because the thread is lit now and I want to tell y'all something.

So, in the meantime, the only workaround is to power cycle and/or toggle airplane mode.  If I'm given the green light, I will be more explicit in my information.

Journeyman

Well, I am glad there is a planned fix, but we are potentially looking at 4+ months of poor service with these phones? We are at one month already and I do not find that acceptable in the least.

Journeyman

I'm am DONE. I will NEVER lease/purchase another Pixel phone. Back to Samsung or Apple. Anything is better than the problems I've had with this phone since July. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Gets new Pixel. Gets updates! ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Gets update that breaks primary means of connection when away from wifi. Ope.

I'm turning LTE off until I hear that this is resolved. Maybe that'll be a little less disruptive than losing connection while driving.

Thanks for sharing what you can, @Em_Will_I_Am, it is appreciated and I understand your situation of not being able to be more specific.

Sounds like this is probably something buried in the Qualcomm code or somewhere that Google probably has to wait to get fixed, or they'd be more forthcoming about it. Since they probably can't fix it themselves and they can't say anything about Qualcomm code and neither can Sprint, here we are. Thanks, Qualcomm.

Miss my Z3 Play with extended battery and Moto actions. And rock solid connectivity.

Sigh.

Community Manager

I think the December update is coincidence or it may have exacerbated an underlying issue.  All I can say is you are a very smart man @coffeebeans.

@coffeebeans wrote:

Gets new Pixel. Gets updates! ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Gets update that breaks primary means of connection when away from wifi. Ope.

I'm turning LTE off until I hear that this is resolved. Maybe that'll be a little less disruptive than losing connection while driving.

Thanks for sharing what you can, @Em_Will_I_Am, it is appreciated and I understand your situation of not being able to be more specific.

Sounds like this is probably something buried in the Qualcomm code or somewhere that Google probably has to wait to get fixed, or they'd be more forthcoming about it. Since they probably can't fix it themselves and they can't say anything about Qualcomm code and neither can Sprint, here we are. Thanks, Qualcomm.

Miss my Z3 Play with extended battery and Moto actions. And rock solid connectivity.

Sigh.

Journeyman

@Sprint_Ciara  - thanks so much for your willingness to help 🙂

My phone is on the Dec 5 update. As far as how long I've been having the issue, it seems like it's been months. I got the phone in June of this year (BYOD) and honestly can't wait to go back to a Samsung. 

One thing I have noticed recently (at least the past couple of weeks) is that, when I turn mobile data off, the signal indicator always has the "x" now (screenshot included). I don't remember this happening before this month or so. No combination of restarting, airplane mode, device config update, or even using the "reset network programming" dial code (*#*#72786#*#*) listed earlier in this thread has gotten rid of this "x" even temporarily. When I turn mobile data back on, it disappears.

No idea if that's important but it just struck me as strange.

Screenshot_20191231-121400.png

Community Manager

Yes, if you turn off mobile data, you will get an X.  The bars that are displayed are what the device is currently on.  Meaning if the phone is connected to LTE, it will display the signal for that.  If it's on voice, it will display the signal for that.  When you are not on a call, the device nests in LTE. When a call or a text comes through, it will drop to a voice channel and pick up the call or text.  So, by turning off mobile data, the device has no LTE or mobile data and displays the X.

@demonkey36 wrote:

@Sprint_Ciara  - thanks so much for your willingness to help 🙂

My phone is on the Dec 5 update. As far as how long I've been having the issue, it seems like it's been months. I got the phone in June of this year (BYOD) and honestly can't wait to go back to a Samsung. 

One thing I have noticed recently (at least the past couple of weeks) is that, when I turn mobile data off, the signal indicator always has the "x" now (screenshot included). I don't remember this happening before this month or so. No combination of restarting, airplane mode, device config update, or even using the "reset network programming" dial code (*#*#72786#*#*) listed earlier in this thread has gotten rid of this "x" even temporarily. When I turn mobile data back on, it disappears.

No idea if that's important but it just struck me as strange.

Screenshot_20191231-121400.png

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am gotcha! Thanks - i didn't remember this happening a while ago, but i probably just wasn't paying attention ...

I wish I were smart like @coffeebeans :'(

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat