cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

First I would like to thank everyone contributing to this post. I previously had a Nexus 5 two years ago with the same exact issue. I then switched to an essential phone which connected to the network without any problems whatsoever. As of the last 3 weeks I have switched to a pixel 3 XL and have been having exactly the same problems as has been described here. The January update did not fix the problem. I can also return my phone but I really love the phone and the fact that it's pure Android experience. It's mind-boggling that 20 years after Y2K we are dealing with network issues. What I would like to know is if every single Pixel 3 and Pixel 4 phone and all the various iterations have this issue connecting to network towers or is it just the random smattering of faulty phones out there in the wild like the ones we have on this post? Should we be demanding Google to replace these faulty phones if that is the case? or does it involve every single pixel phone that's been manufactured? Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Journeyman

I am not sure if it is all pixel phones or not.  At my most recent visit to the Sprint store I told them again about the issue and he wanted to try a hard sim rather than the e-sim I have in the phone now, unfortunately they did not have any hard Sims in the store.  Could it be an issue with the e-sims?  I think others have said they changed the Sims to no effect.

Journeyman

Far as I'm understanding it, it's all the recent pixel phones. 3, 3xl, 3a, 4, 4xl.
While it can't be commented on to confirm or deny, I think it's a Qualcomm issue in recent software. Sprint can't say. Google can't say. Qualcomm won't. Since nobody can legally comment to confirm or deny, that leaves us to guess.

Only Sprint as the carrier as far as I know.

Some say there were problems before December update but came back with the December update. I didn't have any like this before then.

Also a little disappointed in this problem not being resolved yet. Have had the 3a since launch though so I cannot return it lol.

Journeyman

Thanks for the replies. That actually answered another one of my questions which was whether or not this problem existed from day one or only happened after December update? So we can verify that hopefully it is not a hardware issue since the phones were functioning properly before the December update and somehow the December update broke something in the software which can hopefully be fixed sometime in the future? If that is the case then I for one will hang on to this phone because I think it's worth enduring the pain for the Android and camera experience until this software bug is resolved

Journeyman

I haven't tried the eSim but I did swap to another physical SIM card with the same problem... having read the post I think others have had similar problems with eSIM so I agree with others that it's probably not related to the sim..
Journeyman

Yeah, I've had my Pixel 3 (physical sim) since June and am honestly tired of the **bleep** phone. Between Bluetooth mp3 metadata issues (not transmitting), funky Bluetooth volume crap, and now this issue where every time I leave wifi it tries for 3g and just stays that way until I Airplane it, I'm itching to get back to a Samsung as soon as I have the money. Certain stuff about the Pixel is cool, but I've found myself reeeeally missing my Galaxy phones 

Journeyman

Em_will_I_am can you give us some concrete assurance that this issue will hopefully be resolved sometime in 2020 hopefully in quarter one? As long as there is concrete assurance from Google that this issue will be resolved in 2020 I will not return my pixel and will stick it out... I remember the heartaches back in 07-09 when Sprint was growing the network and I lived through that so I can live through this also... But some of us need to hear this again that there is concrete assurance from Google that this issue is on their radar and they have some Google brains trying to crush this bug

Journeyman

From Page 25

"There is a fix that is tentatively set for 1Q2020. The keyword is "tentatively" and that date may get pushed back."

That's probably as specific as they can get right now
Journeyman

What's crazy is that this problem dates back to about 1 yr ago. They took about 9 months to fix it the first time with Android 10, then took 2 months to break it again with the Dec update. Not sure why they can't just go back to how it was when Android 10 was first released.
Community Manager

This...

@coffeebeans wrote:
From Page 25

"There is a fix that is tentatively set for 1Q2020. The keyword is "tentatively" and that date may get pushed back."

That's probably as specific as they can get right now

Community Manager

Here is the thing... it's not the SIM.  eSIM or otherwise.  Based on what I know, it would affect all Pixels.  Now, I can say, I don't know what is the trigger.  I've had every Pixel, eSim and physical SIM, and have traveled a great deal across the county and have never had the issue personally.  Even when I reported it to HQ and Google, they have problems duplicating the issue.  The only way we got traction and found out what the problem was is we sent a logging device to a customer in Florida that could duplicate the issue at will.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Happens every single time I leave WiFi. Causes all kinds of issues. This is the second time I've had the problem. An update back in Aug/Sep fixed. Dec. update caused the problem to return. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat