Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

I have 2 pixel 3 xl phones and both of them will often get stuck on 3g and not switch back to lte until I toggle airplane mode, then they will switch back to lte and stay for a while then at some point if they fall back to 3g they will get stuck on 3g even though I am in an area with strong lte coverage.  Please help.

449 REPLIES 449
Highlighted

Signed up just to say both myself and a colleague with Pixel 4XLs are experiencing this issue. My phone is unusable off of wifi, Google won't take my phone back so add me to the group of users who are SOL because this hasn't been acknowledged or addressed yet.

Highlighted

Hi iamthelobo ! This seems to be a huge inconvenient. What happens when you turn off the 4G? Does the device at least work on 3G? If yes, when the device is on 3G, how many signal bars does it display? 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

I fixed it!

I paid out the *** to buy off my lease and got an iPhone.

A portion of my touch screen stopped working.  The 3G problem helped me make the decision to jump ship vs fix a phone that would still be broken.

Highlighted

When it switches to 3G it does not even load data at all. It's usually very low 3g signal if any. Sometimes there is even an x next to the signal bars. Switching from airplane mode and back temporarily gives me LTE until it loses signal again.

Highlighted

Understood! Many of our customers have reported issues with the Google Pixel being stuck on 3G.

We could try some steps as a work around, because it seems that the issue has not been fully addressed. 

1. These steps will reset the current mobile network programming. After the reset, the device will require Sprint network coverage to activate. 
  2. Tap the Dialpad icon.
  3. Dial *#*#72786#*#*, then tap the Call icon. Note: The last * will not display.
  4. Tap OK. 
  5. The network settings are now reset.

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

if you were to go into the phone settings and change the mobile network away from "Automatic" to "CDMA/LTE" only do you see any difference?

i know most phones have these options in their settings but not FULLY sure the Nexus/Pixel line has it set the same way or not. worth a shot to see if you can pull in a better 3G signal at least.

@iamthelobo wrote:

When it switches to 3G it does not even load data at all. It's usually very low 3g signal if any. Sometimes there is even an x next to the signal bars. Switching from airplane mode and back temporarily gives me LTE until it loses signal again.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

I've already reset my network settings and I changed my preferred network from "Global" to "LTE" no change in service to report.

Highlighted

The "workarounds" that keep getting suggested by Sprint do not actually work so do not waste your time. Like everyone else, the only (very temporary) fix is to enable then shut off airplane mode; this will temporarily give you LTE coverage. It is crazy that there are so many people affected by this yet a fix is still unclear. 

Highlighted

Yea I don't know why these are even being suggested. If it didn't work for the first 20 people complaining in this thread, it's not going to work for me. I'm just hoping that there will be an update that will fix this issue for good.

Highlighted

probably because this issue talked about in here isnt affecting everyone that owns these phones..

had another poster with the same phone in another thread talking about this issue yet his LTE came back as soon as he left a specific area (this would be a tower issue on his part and not device related)...which none of yours is coming back on its own once you move to another area right? that would be why they run everyone through the same gauntlet of tests...just in case.

@iamthelobo wrote:

Yea I don't know why these are even being suggested. If it didn't work for the first 20 people complaining in this thread, it's not going to work for me. I'm just hoping that there will be an update that will fix this issue for good.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************

Thanks everybody for keeping this post alive and updated... I think it's irresponsible and reprehensible that even today so many of us have to deal with these broken network issues... When other countries are already surfing on 5G we're working backwards towards 3G that doesn't even connect half the time... What is going on over here people?!

Highlighted

It's probably Qualcomm that's going on here.
That's my guess.

Probably a lot of people not bothering commenting or knowing where to. Probably thinking the phone is just failing or that Sprint is. Not realizing an update did it.

Hope next month has a fix. It's a bother but I'm not giving up on the phone just yet. If it's another month I don't know.

View solution in original post

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat