Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

Go to solution
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

Update:  This is what I have been allowed to say.  AHEM!!

Some users report Pixels appear stuck in 3G data until a power cycle is completed. Handsets do not seem to acquire LTE in known LTE coverage areas.  Please be advised this behavior will be fixed in the March 2020 software release. To temporarily resolve the behavior, perform a power cycle on the device. The behavior may return randomly until the fix has been released. You may receive Android Security updates prior to the fix release.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am  thanks for the info and for being so communicative in general. Looking forward to the March update and hoping it addresses the issue! If not, I'm about done with my Pixel in general anyway so it's going into the nearest lake 😛

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just wanted to say that this is happening on the Pixel 2 XL as well.

After the last update it's as if the phone cannot see band 25 anymore at all. Band 26 is useless in the area of Jersey where I am presently working, band 25 and band 41 are the only serviceable bands. 41 still works pretty good but its dead as soon as you head indoors.  Indoors, I had previously been able to force the phone to connect to band 25 if I tinkered with the hidden dialer menus, on band 25 I could at least average 4 to 8mbps. 

Since the update, band 25 is seemingly non existent, picking up many different bands that hadn't been seen before by the device, like band 2 for example but they along with every other band besides 25 and 41 are useless in this area.

Now compounding those issue is that even after a phone call or any disturbance in the data network, it forces the phone into a  no data state or locked into 3g (which is for all intents and purposes a no data state).  Roaming is also non-existent although this has been the case since I have had the Pixel 2. I have roaming covered in my plan, I have all roaming options enabled in settings yet it's as if the network itself would rather park the phone in a dead zone then pick up another carrier's signal. (This hadn't been the case in years back with samsung galaxy devices.)

I've been with this company since 2003, obviously I have a high patience level for lackluster service so I am not going to be ditching the phone or service as i'm hopeful one day this loyalty will be rewarded when/if the merger happens.

I was wondering that perhaps there could be a better option for the more technical users here? Something within the dialer data menu's and what not? Those tweaks have aided me greatly in the past. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Before you throw it in the lake, give it to me first.  I will give it a good home 😃

@demonkey36 wrote:

@Em_Will_I_Am  thanks for the info and for being so communicative in general. Looking forward to the March update and hoping it addresses the issue! If not, I'm about done with my Pixel in general anyway so it's going into the nearest lake 😛

Highlighted
Community Manager

A couple of things here. 1) Full Disclosure...the Pixel 2 will not be included in the March fix.  Only 3, 3XL, 3a, 3aXL, 4, and 4XL. 2) Based on what you have written the phone is working as designed as sound like you are in bad coverage.  Let me explain.

In all honesty, you don't want your device to see Band 26.  If it does, it means you coverage suuuuuuucks.  It is programmed to look for Band 41 first, then 25, and as a last resort 26. If you go inside your job and it does not pick up 41, it's either fair/weak coverage already or something environmental in the building (Metal roof, walls, surrounded by thick trees, etc).  You further confirm my theory because you said your device picks up Band 2.  Band 2 is a T-Mobile LTE band.  The coverage is so weak it is roaming on T-Mo.

This is only based on your post.  If I had the exact address, I could confirm it.  

@Forza541x wrote:

Just wanted to say that this is happening on the Pixel 2 XL as well.

After the last update it's as if the phone cannot see band 25 anymore at all. Band 26 is useless in the area of Jersey where I am presently working, band 25 and band 41 are the only serviceable bands. 41 still works pretty good but its dead as soon as you head indoors.  Indoors, I had previously been able to force the phone to connect to band 25 if I tinkered with the hidden dialer menus, on band 25 I could at least average 4 to 8mbps. 

Since the update, band 25 is seemingly non existent, picking up many different bands that hadn't been seen before by the device, like band 2 for example but they along with every other band besides 25 and 41 are useless in this area.

Now compounding those issue is that even after a phone call or any disturbance in the data network, it forces the phone into a  no data state or locked into 3g (which is for all intents and purposes a no data state).  Roaming is also non-existent although this has been the case since I have had the Pixel 2. I have roaming covered in my plan, I have all roaming options enabled in settings yet it's as if the network itself would rather park the phone in a dead zone then pick up another carrier's signal. (This hadn't been the case in years back with samsung galaxy devices.)

I've been with this company since 2003, obviously I have a high patience level for lackluster service so I am not going to be ditching the phone or service as i'm hopeful one day this loyalty will be rewarded when/if the merger happens.

I was wondering that perhaps there could be a better option for the more technical users here? Something within the dialer data menu's and what not? Those tweaks have aided me greatly in the past. 

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am 

Thanks for staying persistent with getting this problem resolved.  I have been dealing with this for about a year when I started this thread and everyone thought I was crazy.  I can wait another month and a half because I really like my Pixel 3xl and I do not want to switch providers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks @Em_Will_I_Am 

Yeah my coverage inside here is not that great. It is an office type building, cement block style ext walls...

One step outside and I can get 41 pretty decent too.  Sometimes it can pull 41 inside for short times but the difference between the 41 and 25 is pretty negligible once inside. 

The zip code here is 08872.  A few days after that post, I noticed that I could again pick up band 25 and It was no longer picking up the 2 band. With the changes I made to the LTE settings in the dialer menu, it no longer hits band 26 at all so that's an improvement. I live about 30-40 miles north of this location but between my own wifi and the magic box I haven't really messed around with checking if it persists between the two areas.

I still get the "stuck in 3g mode" issue although since the bands have seemingly returned it has not been as bad as before where every thing that cut the data would require the airplane mode switch, although sometimes, still, after phone calls I use the airplane mode on/off to kick it back into LTE, just not everytime.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have brand new Google Pixel 3aXL running Android 10 and had this issue today. My device remained stuck on 3G. I finally rebooted the device and that brought it back to LTE. Hopefully, this will be fixed in March as community manager mentioned.

Additionally, even WiFi appears to have issue on 3aXL. I was able to connect to work Wifi with Samsung S8+, I couldn't connect with pixel 3aXL. It kept saying tap to sign into the network...which i did 5 times. I finally shutfoff the wifi and let it run on LTE.
Highlighted
GrandMaster

you might want to have that phone checked out..wifi shouldnt have anything to do with your 3G/4G connections..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I understand 3G/4G has nothing to do with WiFi. I was just mentioning as a separate observation besides the device getting stuck on 3G. I will try one more time the Wifi at work and see what happens. If the issue persists, I will report back and take appropriate steps for the device replacement, etc.

I toggled the preferred mode and it didn't push the device back to LTE. Will just wait till March update for the fix. 

Thank you.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

yeah hopefully the March fix will take care of at least the LTE issues...the wifi one has me a bit curious though.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Out of curiosity, how do I see what bands and such I'm hitting? I just like to know this kinda stuff 😄

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat