Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Pixel 3 xl stuck on 3g

I have 2 pixel 3 xl phones and both of them will often get stuck on 3g and not switch back to lte until I toggle airplane mode, then they will switch back to lte and stay for a while then at some point if they fall back to 3g they will get stuck on 3g even though I am in an area with strong lte coverage.  Please help.

449 REPLIES 449
Highlighted

Mines not
Highlighted

Darn. Go back a few pages here and try the solution someone posted, not sure who, may a Sprint tech and see if it helps.

Highlighted

Hello all!  I just found this thread today.  I have a few questions/comments to add.  If they are duplicates, I apologize.  I have not yet had time to read the entire thread.

I bought my Pixel 3 XL directly from Google last August (2019), activated it on Sprint with an E-sim, and it worked great for a while.  After a while, just like all of you are saying, it started to downgrade to 3G often, reducing my data performance, and also my call and SMS performance occasionally.  Rebooting or toggling airplane mode fixed the issue (although on some rare occasions, only a full reboot worked).  After calling Sprint support and having them confirm that the coverage in all the areas I spend time should be excellent, I called Google and had them replace the phone.

I activated this second phone on Sprint, also with an E-sim.  After only a week, the replacement phone started doing the same thing.  I was still convinced that it had to be a hardware problem, since the same issue occurred over a large geographic areas.  I called Google again and they have now sent me a third phone.  It was just delivered today.

I see that the March update should solve this issue.  It is being installed on my second phone (first replacement from Google) as I type this message, so I will have to see if the issue improves tomorrow.  The reasons I decided to post here before waiting to see the effects of this update are:

1) To provide another anecdote in case the March update doesn't work as planned.

2) To ask if there is any reason I shouldn't activate my third phone (second replacement) with an E-sim versus a regular SIM card.  I haven't seen much mention of this in this thread, but I thought I'd check.

3) To ask this community what the last known working update was.  I saw some other users posting that last December's update broke the phone.  Does that mean that the November update still worked fine?  The reason I ask is that I am a student who relies heavily on my phone for group projects.  I don't have time to do months and months of debugging, and can't afford to miss calls, messages, and other notifications coming in over data.  If the March update doesn't work on my second phone (first replacement), I want to flash a working update on my third phone (second replacement) before I start using it, and then never run the updater, so I don't have to deal with this until I am done with school.

Thank you all for your time!

Highlighted

Honest answer? Send the phone back and get a refund. Then purchase another brand. My Pixel 3XL seems to be working correctly since the March update. I'm not toggling back forth between Airplane and Mobile mode. But this is the second fix for me and this one took much longer. My husband is terminally ill. I'm constantly on the phone with his docs and therapist. I can't tell you how much stress there is when you can't count on your phone to work when texting, emailing or talking to his medical personnel. If I could I would send this phone back in a heartbeat. I'm seriously considering adding an additional line to our Sprint plan so I have a phone I can depend on.

Highlighted

if you are having issues with calls you might have something different or additional going on..this issue is only affecting the data side of things.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

It's data usage when off WiFi. It's call usage.

Highlighted

So far so good for me...thank god.   I will update if I notice any issues, but for the moment (knock on a 2'x4'...i'm good).

Highlighted

No issues since update so far...
Highlighted

if theyre running VoLTE on a device that has been having a hard time keeping the LTE portion of it then yeah i can see the call problems..that could be fixed or at least worked around by shutting off VoLTE..they get the LTE fix then they turn VoLTE back on.

@Janjr58 wrote:

It's data usage when off WiFi. It's call usage.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

@Janjr58 Thank you for your reply.  I am very sorry to hear about your husband.  I really hope this March update continues to work for you.  I have been considering asking for a refund.  My warranty expires in August, so I might give this update a chance for a month or so and see what happens.  If the issue comes back at any time, that's definitely what I'm going to do.

@fireguy_6364 As you mentioned, I mainly had voice issues when I had VoLTE enabled.  I would be able to hear only about 4 out of every 10 seconds, even though LTE was connected and had 3-4 bars.  Turning off VoLTE helped with this issue.  There was one time that I missed a call completely (as in, it never rang) when I was not using VoLTE, but I have a feeling that was a legitimate coverage issue, because it only happened once, and in an area that I don't usually spend time.

I had a lot of driving to do today, and LTE stayed connected the whole time!  The issue was usually worst when I drove a lot, so maybe the issue has indeed been fixed!

Highlighted

yeah the only possible reasons to have calling issues currently would either a network issue or due to this phone having the LTE issues which would affect the calls going through VoLTE..if the call started off on 3G then you wouldnt have any dropped calls or issues hearing from either side..if it started off on VoLTE then LTE started acting up you would lose that call or it would go bunk on you.

hopefully yalls issues are now resolved or in the process of it once you receive the update/fix.

@aprom3 wrote:

@fireguy_6364 As you mentioned, I mainly had voice issues when I had VoLTE enabled.  I would be able to hear only about 4 out of every 10 seconds, even though LTE was connected and had 3-4 bars.  Turning off VoLTE helped with this issue.  There was one time that I missed a call completely (as in, it never rang) when I was not using VoLTE, but I have a feeling that was a legitimate coverage issue, because it only happened once, and in an area that I don't usually spend time.

I had a lot of driving to do today, and LTE stayed connected the whole time!  The issue was usually worst when I drove a lot, so maybe the issue has indeed been fixed!

Highlighted

YES!!!  So far so good.  Holding LTE now but will need a little more time to make sure.  Just hope they dont break it again with a future updates.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat