cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 4 XL data issues

Journeyman

Pixel 4 XL data issues

I have Sprint looking into this, but I wanted to see if others are having any similar issues...

I just got my new pixel 4 xl last week from my preorder. Actually I have two because I did the promotion. I've noticed that the data connection is awful. I have been carrying my old note 5 around with me for reference. In many locations where the note 5 has a good LTE signal, the pixel 4 will either connect to LTE but get maybe 10% of the speed of the note 5, or the pixel will connect to 3g and operate at speeds that were appropriate a decade ago. I live in Lehigh valley PA and I work in the field covering a 7 county area. While Sprint unfortunately doesn't have the best network in this area, it worked (and works) ok on my old phone. So I'm not having a network problem per se, but a problem using this model of phone on this particular network. I've done all the usual troubleshooting and updates and brought it to a corporate store where a physical Sim was installed to ensure the esim wasn't the root cause. 

This has already been referred to advanced tech support and I'm awaiting word from the engineers. I'm just asking around to see if anyone has had issues like this. My second pixel which my son uses also has an inferior data connection, so I do not believe it to be a manufacturing defect unless I somehow got shipped two lemons, but there was no record of anyone else reporting this issue so I'm not sure if it's only affecting the network in my region or if the phone is just so new that no one reported the issue before me, or if this is some oddity that is only affecting me.

32 REPLIES 32
Journeyman

Re: Pixel 4 XL data issues

Follow up...

So they couldn't find anything. And I was told to exchange my phone (s) because maybe there was just a problem in the first batch of them. 

Today the security update came out. I updated over 3g and when it finished, I had LTE and faster speeds than I had been able to get since I got the phone (it was only getting about 5mbps even when it connected to LTE before). 

So... Problem appears to be solved. And I'm guessing Google had the issue, not Sprint. Happy ending. In short, I can now recommend this phone for daily use.

Journeyman

I just switched to Sprint from Google Fi so I could join my wife's plan and get the Pixel XL 4.

I will randomly lose LTE or 3G connections where my wife has no issues on her iPhone.

I am convinced that it's something to do with the carrier and the phone but can't prove it yet. 

This is the first topic online that I have seen to suggest I'm not the only one with the issue.

Sprint Social Care

Hi there RoyalHusker ! Let's take a look at what's going on with your services. Does this happen everywhere you go? Did the issue start since you joined the service? Are calls and texts affected too or just data? 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Hi Ciara,

Thanks for the reply. 

Yes, it has happened ever since I joined Sprint. I had a Google Pixel XL 2 on Google Fi and rarely had an issue losing a connection.

Since joining Sprint with my Pixel 4 XL, I have had a frequent amount of disconnection from LTE or 3G. 

My zip is 19713 and according to the map, I should have a perfect LTE connection. I can drive north between 19713 and 19803 and will lose connection a handful or 2 times while driving or waiting at lights or in parking lots.

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

We can understand this can be annoying and would like to check the area appropriately to see if everything is working fine. Besides the ZIP code, please provide us the nearest street's intersection to check it out.

Journeyman

Chapman Rd and Christiana Rd. 
Newark, DE 19702.

Thank you.

Sprint Social Care

Thank you! I've reviewed the area and didn't find any abnormality. Everything seems to be working in good conditions.

I also did send you a PM to continue the assistance over there. Please, check your inbox.

Journeyman

After another week of use I must say that although it's bearable, this phone definitely doesn't do data as reliably as my old dinosaur. I frequently turn data off and back on to fix it, update the prl every day... It's a lot better than when I first got it, but I know it should be better.

GrandMaster

esim or physical sim?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community Manager

PM me your phone number and full problem address and I will create a ticket for you.  Looking at the cross streets provided, that address is in the middle of all sectors of the nearest tower.  The phone more than likely is connecting and disconnecting between all the sectors.

Em_Will_I_Am_0-1573578519347.png

Shoot me that info and I will get a ticket made.

@RoyalHusker wrote:

Chapman Rd and Christiana Rd. 
Newark, DE 19702.

Thank you.

Journeyman

Another update... Although the phone was still a little flaky with the LTE today (rebooting helps, which seems to point to a software issue...) I was able to make calls using VoLTE today, which was amazing and very welcome. I've had the feature enabled, but my LTE connection had been dropping every time I made a call (presumably over CDMA). Today I made several calls over LTE and was able to stay online for the duration. Haven't had that luxury since the days of wimax... So it would seem the service is improving and kinks are working their way out. Now I just look forward to a day that I don't need to reboot, turn data off and on, or update the prl. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat