cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 4 XL data issues

Journeyman

Re: Pixel 4 XL data issues

This problem you have, you are not alone. The compatibility of the Google Pixel phones, specifically the pixel 4XL which I currently have, is in a word, unacceptable. The data connectivity is absolutely terrible. I am experiencing extremely slow transfer rates. It drops to 3g constantly. I've tested other phones with Sprint such as the iPhone 11, sitting in the same place in the heart of a major metropolitan area, the twin cities Minnesota, and the data transfer rates I'm experiencing on this brand new Pixel 4XL is just absolutely abysmal.

I've researched the issue online and this is not an isolated problem with my phone or this Sprint area. This is flat-out a technical problem with the Google pixel and Sprint. I am less than 30 days into my contract and I will seek to terminate it at this point. I do not see a solution and I have tried literally everything. Booting and rebooting, etc., does not fix anything, and frankly it's a terrible suggestion in the first place. This is all about Google producing an inferior product and Sprint having a compatibility issue if they cannot resolve. Shame on both these companies.

Sprint Social Care

Hey @Purplehoke, we would like to take a closer look into this. Shoot us a private message to further assist you. Click on my name to see the option. 

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

What I have been seeing with my Pixel 4XL is dropping to 3g constantly and never wanting to go to LTE. However if I force it in airplane mode and off to force the network to reconnect instantly I get LTE. Most of the time it will be a very strong LTE signal, while the 3g was weak. I know I have areas that I travel too that sprint has a weaker signal but to have to manually force it back to LTE. I drive all over Orlando Florida and rely on my phone.

Sprint Social Care

@Mas72786 Has the area been reviewed? Is this happening to other people using Sprint around you? Let us know in a PM. 

Journeyman

This is the exact behavior of the same phone up here in PA. It's not about the area. It's clearly a software problem in this phone. Rebooting helps. Actually, just switching airplane mode on and off seems to be as effective and quicker. IDK whether this is a Google problem or a Sprint problem, but it's a consistent problem for Sprint customers in multiple markets. It's obviously easily reproducible (just boot up your phone and drive around. If it doesn't happen today, don't reboot and drive around tomorrow and I guarantee you'll see it happen)... So Sprint should get on this. I love this phone, but I'd love it more if I could reboot monthly instead of daily.

GrandMaster

if other non Pixel devices are around you and not seeing this then the fix/adjustments will need to come from Google..carriers dont make the adjustments to how the radios are trying to read certain signals..that needs to come from the manufacturers side of things.

oddly enough though this isnt as massive of an issue as some are thinking..two pages on a very popular device in a thread that is almost a month old isnt much compared to many other device issues that have sprang up in the past and hit 10+ pages in a day or two.

so there might be a handful of devices running into this only..which will make it harder to figure out and get a fix coming from Google.

this was purchased through Sprint or direct from Google? esim or physical sim card?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Hello Jeffrey Sprint Social Care,

This problem I think is probably more a Pixel 4XL issue than anything else. If it were  Android or Sprint there will be more  peeps  chiming in.

I keep tinkering with various settings hoping something sticks and the issue guess away. But to no avail. When this issue is not occurring by virtue of a reboot, speeds are phenomenal I mean truly awesome. But it's only a matter of time before it spontaneously loses it's LTE preference and drops into insufferablely slow LG3 or even 2.

For the love of everything holy, is there a solution other than me taking my phone back to Sprint and terminating my deal. I paid too much money for my phone not to work as reasonably expected.

Journeyman

I got mine from Sprint. And as detailed above, I initially had the problem while using eSim, then got a physical Sim installed and continued to have the same issue. A quick visit to airplane mode seems to be the quickest bandaid to throw at it. Sometimes turning mobile data off and on helps, but airplane mode helps every time, so something about completely restarting the radio makes the difference for me. I just wish I could reset the mobile radio without turning Bluetooth off and interrupting the music or podcast I have on. Look at me, searching for a better bandaid when the vendor should be providing an actual fix. 🙄

Highlighted
Community Manager

Are we sure it's the device and not the coverage?  I've had 4 individuals send me their problem addresses so I can investigate and all of them were in "Fair" LTE coverage.  As I explained to them, if the device does not like the LTE signal, it will drop to 3G.  It will search for LTE and if it does not find it, it will search again at a later interval.  It will continue to do so and will eventually stop searching for LTE in an effort to conserve battery.  Of course, airplane mode or a power cycle will start the clock and search for LTE over.

With that said, I have the Pixel 4 as my personal phone and have never had this issue.  However, to date, I have never traveled outside the Oklahoma market with it.  Perhaps it will happen while traveling during the holidays.

Journeyman

Re: Pixel 4 data issues

I have the same issues. I Pre-Ordered my Pixel 4 (Standard) 128GB through my Sprint Business account. Got it the day it was "released." Fired it up the following day after having someone at Sprint who actually comprehended how eSim works and it worked flawlessly for all the time it took me to get off Wi-Fi and rely on 4G. I would get 3G only. Updated Patches, updated PRL, Profile, etc. Power phone off and restart ,and it magically works again. 

It will work on 4G LTE until you hit a dead spot in Sprints coverage area, or you connect to a Wi-Fi network, then lose Wifi signal, and/or even switch off Wifi in settings, it still will not return to 4G LTE. the only way to get it 90% of the time to reconnect to 4G LTE is to restart the phone. It's actually annoying, and i'm about to send this turd back.

I had the original Pixel (1) and the Pixel 2 which I bought directly from Google, then activated the unlocked phone via tech support thru sprint and NEVER had any issues like this. This phone was literally released by Sprint for the first time, and it doesn't even work properly. 

Journeyman

i live in the chicagoland area and am experiencing the same issue, having sprint escalate a technical case, Airplane mode brings me back to LTE , but switching locations , can drop me back to 3G,  I have iphone 11, that have no issue in same area.

Journeyman

I have an open support case with Sprint and I have had 3 different technicians "assist" me.

The first tech escalated to the next tier.

The second tiered tech told me to factory reset my phone.

The third tech told me to take it to the Sprint store to run diagnostics.

I'm in IT and I know when a device does and doesn't need to be wiped. 

I'll humor the third tech and take it to the store to see what they say.

I continue to lose a data connection every day when I'm not on a wireless network.

I am also within my 30 days and I may terminate this plan and go back to Google Fi if this doesn't get fixed.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat