cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 4 XL data issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Pixel 4 XL data issues

I have three googled pixel 4 and it does it all the time. Apparently it's a Google problem. Other carriers customers are experiencing the same thing. Inferior product is what it's coming down to. My S9 had no problems. Might be switching. Apparently Google said that a fix is coming in March 2020... At least that's what I read on another forum about this issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

Which carrier was it? (For the user who said they had the same issue on another network?)

I bet it was US Cellular.

I'm in IT and my co-worker and I were digging into this. He kept saying it's because Sprint sucks but I was explaining to him that my Pixel 2XL didn't have this problem so I didn't think it was carrier related. And also, my other co-worker can stand right next to me at my desk with his non-pixel but Sprint phone and get full bars of LTE where I was on 1 bar of 3G. Rebooted my phone and got back on LTE. =

Our guess is that it is an issue with how Sprint works with the Pixel 4. Like they may have dropped one of the LTE bands or they use some LTE bands that other carriers don't in certain areas and the phone doesn't handle those transitions properly. 

At least there's a workaround but this is pretty frustrating.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having the same issue. Turning on airplane mode and then turning it off almost always gets me a 4G LTE connection. The Pixel 4XL just doesn't seem to be picking the best network reliably and I don't know if it is a phone issue or a Sprint issue.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

4 posts above yours...

Community Manager

Update:  This is what I have been allowed to say.  AHEM!!

Some users report Pixels appear stuck in 3G data until a power cycle is completed. Handsets do not seem to acquire LTE in known LTE coverage areas.  Please be advised this behavior will be fixed in the March 2020 software release. To temporarily resolve the behavior, perform a power cycle on the device. The behavior may return randomly until the fix has been released. You may receive Android Security updates prior to the fix release.

@ngugliotti wrote:

I'm having the same issue. Turning on airplane mode and then turning it off almost always gets me a 4G LTE connection. The Pixel 4XL just doesn't seem to be picking the best network reliably and I don't know if it is a phone issue or a Sprint issue.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Small remark, I am Roaming right now outside of the US,  its the 7th Day, that i had 0 issues

of loosing the Data or getting down to 3G (By Default the roaming is 2G/3G, I have subscribed for the 4G/LTE roaming plan).

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had a security update pop up a few days ago, I'm curious to see how my signal holds now.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

No change here. I'm hoping that the info shared previously is accurate and the fix will be in the March update. Of course, if the problem was known in January, that does beg the question of why the fix would not have been a part of the February update. As this problem is far from isolated, it would seem like a poor decision to withhold a fix, and I do question why this problem is not important enough to justify a mid month update, assuming it simply was not ready in time to be incorporated into February's update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My thoughts exactly. This is pretty piss poor on the part of all companies involved. I really can't wait to get a dual SIM phone that will use both networks 

Highlighted
Journeyman

If anything, my signal dropping has gotten worse instead of better with the latest update installed last week.  This update has the signal back to dropping at least once on my commute both to and from work.  At least with the update prior it wasn't dropping as long as I turned off wifi and switched it into and out of airplane mode before driving.  

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Hi parintachin ! I'd like to know, have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your device after the software update? If yes, please let me know which ones you already tried.  

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

@Sprint_Ciara Since getting this phone in November the only way to reconnect the signal once it dropped was the reset cycle to turn airplane mode on and then off.  Updating the PRL and device config as well; the usual troubleshooting that everyone else in this thread has done.  Don't ask me to delete a sim, get an e-sim or factory reset - I'm not doing it.  I'm not sitting in hold to talk to anyone either, like everyone else has said this should have been resolved months ago or Sprint should have discontinued carrying the Pixels if they can't get this sorted out.

Something in this February system update reversed what the January update did.  As I said before, with the January update I could turn WiFi off, cycle airplane mode on and off before driving and experienced no drops when the network band changed.  I'm back to dropping when the network changes now.  

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat