ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Locked, but the device is supposed to be unlocked! (PIXEL 3a)

Journeyman

SIM Locked, but the device is supposed to be unlocked! (PIXEL 3a)

Hello!
 I'm a ting customer and as far as I know ting utilizes the SPRINT network to provide their CDMA services.

I have a brand new Pixel 3a that I purchased from the google store and whenever I am attempting to activate the device on Sprint's CDMA network (via ting) the network locks the sim-card. I have contacted google and ting about this issue and they assure me that the device is compatible and globally unlocked.

Is there a manual authentication process that needs to happen from sprints end? This seems to be a very common problem for Pixel users, I know I'm not directly a sprint customer but I'd love to see what your advice is, and I'm sure this will be beneficial for future users with this problem.

It's exceptionally frustrating because the device connects to the network for a few minutes and then the sim becomes locked, prompting me to contact support. I know this isn't something sprint can directly assist with but maybe we can get to the bottom of this problem. AFAIK this issue is global to anyone who utilizes the Sprint CDMA network and a Pixel device, many threads online suggest using an app to lock your device from connecting to sprint towers and to instead connect to T-Mobile's network, I'm not sure exactly how that works but it seems like a poor solution to an engineering problem.

Because it could be pertinent, im using the sim card with PN: SIMGLW416TQ  UPC: 019962041648

5 REPLIES 5

Re: SIM Locked, but the device is supposed to be unlocked! (PIXEL 3a)

Since your phone was provisioned for a prepaid network and not CDMA, the phone isn't set up to work the same. Did you purchase your phone from Ting directly?

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply.

The phone is directly from google (via amazon), and it's not pre-paid AFAIK, it operates on the sprint CDMA network there's no prepaid cards to purchase or anything it's not like wal-mart's straight talk which uses TRACFONE. Though I'm not the expert here I wouldn't consider it a pre-paid network because the phone is directly portable to any other network, I could bring it to sprint if I wanted to for example. It has no special firmware that makes it operate on ting, it uses a sim and is activated just like any other network.

It's model number G020G so it's the unlocked North American version.

We do consider Ting to be a prepaid service. If you're trying to activate it on the Ting network you'll need to reach out to them. They'll probably just need to add the IMEI of your phone to their database. 

Journeyman

Thanks for the information.

I've tried to activate the phone with Ting once already and I've been passed around to google, amazon, and ting support. I figured I might as well reach-out to sprint even though I'm not certain of sprint's involvement with Ting I just know the top left of my phone says sprint when it's trying to activate.

I will try to update this thread because it could serve as a good information source in the future for someone. Currently I've tried one Sim-card and ting's sending me a replacement CMDA sim-card. I reached out again to their support on my open ticket and updated them with your recommendation of updating their network database; I'm sort of trying to play middle-man here I just want my phone to work!

Thank you, have a good week.

You're welcome. I wish I could help you further but Ting just uses spectrum on our network. It sounds like it should be an easy fix of just adding your phone. I hope you get it resolved quickly.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat