cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly getting weak data connection, if any at all...

Journeyman

Suddenly getting weak data connection, if any at all...

My daughter as a Nexus 5x that has been doing fine until about a week and a half ago. 

Suddenly her Sprint connection became very weak to non-existant in areas where it used to be strong, and where I continue to get a good Sprint connection with my Pixel 2xl. 

We've updated the prl and reset the network settings (*#*#72786#*#*). It's not in airplane mode or anything like that. 

We went to the local Sprint store (an independent franchise) to ask if there were any recent changes in network coverage. The said no, that I needed to buy a new phone. No surprise there I guess Smiley Happy 

The phone is running Android 8.1.0. 

Any thoughts on whether this might have been a change on Sprint's end, or a bad antenna in the phone, or a software or settings problem, how could I tell? 

Thanks for any assist, 

Chris

12 REPLIES 12
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Suddenly getting weak data connection, if any at all...

Howdy Chris. I'll be more than happy to look into this for you. May I have a couple cross streets, and the zip? How long has this been going on? Is it happening in 1 location or multiple? 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Journeyman

Thanks Cat, 

The zip code is 32080, St Augustine, FL, it happens all throughout town, despite my phone having a good Sprint connection.

We have not been out of town since it began doing this, so not sure if it's a problem outside our area. 

Journeyman

A good crossroads to use is A1A and Pope Road, St Augustine, FL

I am not seeing any issues in the towers in the area. Can you go into software updates, and update the network settings? Once you have done that please turn on airplane mode, and then turn it back off. Restart the device. Let me know if this helps. 

Journeyman

I don't have a 'software updates' and 'network settings'. This has Android 8.1.0 on it. Are you asking for the same thing as the *#*#72786#*#* code does? 

Journeyman

Just some additional info, right now at home, where we used to have a connection, under 'network and internet', 'mobile network', it says "searching for service'

I am sorry I got the device mixed up with another phone. Can you follow these steps for me?

1. From the home screen, use two fingers to swipe down the Status Bar. ...
  2. Tap the Settings icon. ...
  3. Tap More.
  4. Tap Cellular networks.
  5. Tap Carrier settings.
  6. Tap Update device config.
  7. Once the update is complete, tap OK.
  8. The data profile is now up to date
Journeyman

Ok, did that, then turned airplane mode on and off, rebooted, still no service. Tried airplane mode on and off again, turned mobile data off and on again, still 'no service'...

Journeyman

Oh, where it said no service in the upper left, it did change to 'sprint', but no bars - 

Darn it. Can you send me a PM with your address? I will narrow down towers. 

Journeyman

Yep... um, where is the pm option here?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat