cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

instant tethering with android 11 on Pixel 4 XL

Highlighted
Journeyman

instant tethering with android 11 on Pixel 4 XL

I have a Pixel 4 XL and an Acer Chromebook Spin (don't recall the exact model).  Many months ago, this combination started supporting instant tethering.  Ever since updating to Android 11, the option no longer exists on my Chromebook to use instant tethering with my Pixel.  Turning on the hotspot does usually work, although that seems to be flakier since the update also.  While this isn't an essential feature when I can just turn hotspot on, it was sometimes handy to go online using the instant tether instead.  Has anyone else noticed this change?  And, is there a known solution?  I can't seem to find any discussion of this anywhere even a month after the update when surely I can't be the only one, right?  My Chromebook is in dev mode, and on the beta channel, if that matters.  My Pixel has the latest update.  The change coincided with the Android 11 update back in September, so I was assuming the issue is on the phone's end.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Hey! Is data saver On? I saw someone mentioned that after turning Off data saver it worked. Can you try and let me know please? 

Highlighted

No, it wasn't turned on.  I tried cycling it on and back off to see if anything would change, and didn't notice any difference.  Open to any other suggestions.

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Is this issue still happening?

Highlighted

ever since the september update i am no longer offered instant tethering on my chromebook.  under connected devices  the phone is listed but all it can do is unlock the chromebook and use sms via messages.  instant tethering isn't offered.

Highlighted

Did you ensure the problem if not with the Chromebook? I don't see any known issues with the Pixel 4 XL that would cause this. 

Highlighted

I can't possibly be sure that it wasn't a chrome update that killed it, but it seemed to happen the day I updated the phone, leading me to believe that it was the phone update that was the cause.  I can't seem to find anyone else complaining about this behavior, so it may just be the particular combination of Sprint Pixel 4XL + this exact model of Chromebook running beta channel in developer mode specifically.  Or maybe a butterfly flapped its wings somewhere on the other side of the world.  Just fishing for ideas.  Thanks for taking the time to read this to anyone who looked at this thread.

Highlighted

I understand it began after updating your phone, but to be sure I recommend contacting the manufacturer. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat