cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassador - Moto X Pure gets Android M

Sprint Product Ambassador

Since last week almost all of the Moto X Pure editions owners should have received a notification to update the phone OS to Android M. I get very excited when I hear about OS updates, especially when Google does a great job of publicizing all the new features. However it does take time for the Android manufacturers to push the OS update out.

So what is the big deal with Android M, especially on this device? Well lets find out. Full disclosure, some of these features are standard across all stock Androids, so they come to this device too

• Now on Tap - this is the next generation for Google Now that allows you to get information about the stuff on the current screen by holding the home button. So e.g. if you are listening to a song on Spotify or Google Music, the Now on Tap will get information about the artist, the song and what have you, without leaving the music app. This functionality is not just limited to music apps. My buddy Ramsey646 has a great blog on this HERE
  • Doze - this is where the device goes into "sleep mode" to increase battery life. How do they do that? Another buddy of mine dharbit has a detailed blog on Android Doze HERE
  • UI - well there isn't much to write home about here. The app drawer gets a little makeover by putting a row of most used apps on the top. THe moto does not seem to be showing this feature so could be just a Nexus thing. But other then that, the changes are extremely hard to pinpoint.
  • Lock screen microphone - This adds a Google Now microphone to the lock screen for easy access, just like the camera icon. Its pretty nifty
  • Permissions - This is by far the biggest change in Android M and should get very annoying at first. What this does is forces the app to ask permission every time it needs to access something from the phone that is a shared resource. E.g. the first time I started hangouts, it asked me if it could access my contacts. Now if you dont allow that, you will have to just enter your peeps info by hand and it will stay just as an email or phone number depending on what you used. It will not access your contacts. Then if you want to video chat with that said peep, it would ask you to allow access to camera and microphone. If you allow, great, if not, you cannot video chat. See my point about being annoying? The point is, the apps will now to be required to ask you, only the first time, they need access to a resource, instead of a blanket permission notification when downloading the app from the store. Some say that's the way it should be, and yes it will take some getting used to, so get ready.
  • Under the hood - a lot of updates were under the hood. Memory management, power (see Doze above), performance enhancements, the whole 9 yards, so I wont spend a lot of time on those here. There are several blogs about them, and the user will only notice a few, but cannot see anything concrete on the UI etc.

Hopefully you have or will update to the latest OS by Android on your Moto X Pure Edition and enjoy it just like I am. The battery life is just amazing!

Until Next Time

-- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee#