cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto X Pure Edition

3 Comments

What iteration of Android would be complete without a little something hidden for users to find?  The quick answer is none of them.   These little gems, known as "Easter Eggs", have been fun little additions to the Android UI refreshes which geeks like myself have grown to love and expect.   For those of you that aren?t in the know Android?s latest 6.0 release is dubbed "Marshmallow" and the Easter Egg hidden within the UI is a direct play off of that name.  Do you like Marshmallows? Who doesn't.  Do you like Flappy Bird?  Who does but can put it down after trying it once.   What do you get when you create a game influence by both?   Something that looks very innocent but will frustrate you to no end.   I am well past my video game playing prime but if you can get past more than 2 gates I tip my imaginary hat to you.   If you are in the mood for a time waster follow the instructions below to access the game, good luck playing and maintaining your composure!

Instructions

• First go to your settings menu and locate the "About Device" option which is typically the last in the list.
  • Within the "About Device" menu find "Android Version" and repeatedly tap the selection until the Easter Egg activates.   You can do this by tapping out the beat to your favorite song or mashing away, as long as you tap more than once a second it should activate.

Once You are In

The Easter Egg doesn;'t jump directly to game play, I guess it wants to find out if you are really dedicated to give it a shot.   You will need to perform more screen tapping, mash away to get through the progression which I?ve provided a couple of snapshots of:

entry screen 1.png

entry screen 2.png

Now it is go time!    The game is a carryover from Android 5.0 Lollipop, refreshed with a marshmallow theme.  I've read about a multiplayer feature but I didn?t get to try that out, if you do please post a comment on your experience with a pic.  Enjoy the game, or at least try to!

The game.png

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team   

Disclaimer:  The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

1.png

Here is a sneaky feature that Google implemented with the new Android 6.0 update. Its called System UI tuner. This introduces something the custom ROM community has had for years. Its really easy to enable and this only works for 6.0. Below I have attached screenshots to give your phone a little more customization.

2.png

Swipe down the notification bar and hold down on the gear icon until it starts spinning. should take a second or two.

3.png

Then go into the general settings, System UI Tuner should be there after the spinning gear action.

4.png

Once selected it will give you a warning advising this is not for all people. Googe explains this feature is experimental at this time.

5.png

These are the extra options that are provided to you with the System UI Tuner unlocked. I enabled the show battery percentage. I love this feature just to pay attention to my battery. It is hard to see at times but remember this is experimental.

6.png

Selecting Status bar gives these option to remove the clutter of some icons you don't want to see. This doesn't disable them or anything like that. Just hides them for people like me that like a clean status bar. Hope you like this small tweak that I enjoy.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee#

0 Comments

Camera performance is one of the key things I look for in a cell phone.  It’s always with me, and the always on connection makes sharing photos easier than from the DSLR.  Lately, cell phone cameras have caught up with pocket cameras for image quality, but not often for speed.  Well, the Moto X Pure Edition changes that!

The Moto X Pure Edition offers an easy twist-to-launch gesture to open the 21 megapixel camera.  Opening in under a second, you can fire off a photo by simply tapping anywhere on the screen.  No waiting to focus, no green rectangles to look for, the camera just works!  What’s behind the scenes?  A brand new Sony sensor called the IMX230, it features 21 effective megapixels.  The sensor has 192 integrated phase detection focus points so it focuses nearly instantly.  With this camera, you can get the shot without waiting for the software or hardware to catch up.  Along with the very high resolution sensor, you get a dual LED flash and built in HDR image capture.  The HDR processing is integrated into the camera chip for better contrast and more detail in backlit and dark photos.

The LED flash is another amazing point for the camera – it’s a “color balancing flash”, which means the flash automatically adjusts to provide the correct white balance.  Each of the two LED’s is a different color temperature. The camera checks the color balance of the scene and illuminates the LED’s in order to bring out the correct color tones in the photo.  This even works in rooms with odd illumination, like the harsh orange of sodium arc lights in a gymnasium.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

The Moto X Pure Edition camera sets another high mark for an already great phone!

0 Comments

xpe amazon.PNG

Step right up folks!

Get your red-hot Moto X Pure Edition on Amazon TODAY ONLY for $100 off while supplies last:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013SGP23M/

As you have already seen in the Product Ambassador blogs in this very space on Community, the Moto X Pure Edition is the finest version of the Moto X line ever created.  From the fantastic display to the excellent camera (something we have not seen done exceedingly well in Moto X devices of the past, let's be honest) to the great battery life (even better now with Android 6.0 Marshmallow's "Doze" feature) to the pure Android experience that really builds on Google's engineering refinement of the operating system, this is one of the best of the best devices of 2015 and a no-brainer for $350.

Now, once you get your shiny and wonderful new Moto X PE, which carrier do you choose?

Well, Sprint of course!

But why?

Network: This is not the Sprint network you thought you knew.  Our network is performing at best-ever levels and we have won numerous awards this year from Nielsen and Root Metrics in multiple markets around the nation, in many cases being the #1 carrier or tying for first with others like Verizon and AT&T.  And now with our new LTE Plus network, we are faster than they are with speeds exceeding 100Mbps on capable devices.

It's not marketing, it's a fact.

Plans: Sprint has some of the most competitive rate plans in the industry and we pride ourselves on providing a great experience for a great value. With plans starting at just $20, anyone can find the right fit for the right usage and right price.  Plus right now if you switch to Sprint you can save 50% on your current rate plans from Verizon, ATT and T-Mobile.  It's never been a better time to try us out!

https://www.sprint.com/apps/save50percent/index.html#!/

Support:

We're here to help!

One of the things I always hear from customers as a long time employee is how much they love our service.  They just don't seem to get the same amount of support from the other carriers and the input I have seen is that Sprint will go the extra mile to resolve customer problems.  We actually do care about our customers!

But how do you activate on Sprint?

You can visit any Sprint retail location and they will help you pick a plan that's right for you, get you the Sprint SIM card that you need for your awesome new Moto X Pure and get you started. 

If you can't make it into a store, simply call

866-789-8292

and ask for a SIM card.  One will be shipped to you free of charge!

And if you need it, here's all of the info on the SIM on the Moto X Pure Edition Community main page:

The SIM SKU you will need is CZ2144LWC. The UPC code for that SKU is 019962040146 and may be needed if you are working with someone in Retail or Care. The description is "Worldwide LTE-GSM Remov 4FF CSIM".

We hope that you give Sprint a spin on your fancy new Moto X.  I think you'll be plesantly surprised.

And if you're an existing customer, we think you'll love how your Moto X works on the Sprint network.

Until next time,

The Product Ambassador Team

* Moto X Pure is not supported due to hardware limitations.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/article/48884-image/Motorola-updates-Touchless-Control-with-find-my-phone-function.jpghttp://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/article/48884-image/Motorola-updates-Touchless-Control-with-find-my-phone-function.jpghttp://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/article/48884-image/Motorola-updates-Touchless-Control-with-find-my-phone-function.jpg

(source)

One of the most practical features on the Moto X has been the "Find my phone" voice command.  This

has been present since the original iteration of the device, and has saved me on many occasions.  In

fact, I can't even begin to count the amount of times I have used this. I have two pretty big faults: I'm

clumsy, and my memory is kinda wonky.  I could tell you what I was drinking 5 years ago on July 4th,

but if you ask me where I put my phone 5 seconds ago, lawd 'ave mercy.  Case in point:

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/quick-money-2.jpg

(source)

I'm playing around with my phone the other day while waiting for Star Wars: Battlefront to load.  I put

down the phone and start beating up some rebel scum.  I look at the time and realize I have to walk the

dog before I start getting ready for work...and fast!  Oh, crap!  I have to leave in 20 minutes!  Ahhh!  Ok,

ok, ok....let's do this.  I walk the dog, shower, brush my teeth, and somehow remember to put on

underwear.  As I'm walking out the door, thinking "ha!  Take that, time.  Can't beat me today", I realize

I tempted fate a little too early because I realized that I didn't have my phone, but the thing that really

worried me was that I didn't have a clue where it was!  Darn nabbit!  Ok, trace yours steps.  No, wait,

slow down time first so you're not let.  Ok, ready.  Where did I see it last?  What did I do with it?  What

was I doing...ahhh!  Was this the rebel scum getting back at me?!  Then, I yell out, from my front door

"Hey, Computer" (that is the custom phrase I use to activate Moto Voice commands).  I hear the "bleep",

but can't quite trace where it came from, so I continued, "Find my phone".  "Bleep Bleep Bleep", the

phone said.  I found it in between the couch cushions, ran out the door, and got to work on time.  Without

Moto Voice, I would have easily been at least 10 minutes late. 

myMotoXP2.jpg

This is just the most recent time that Moto Voice has saved my behind.  This thing comes in handy all

the time, mainly for finding the phone, but also for telling me what temperature it will be today when I'm

getting out of the shower and trying to choose what weather clothes are "weather appropriate" for that day,

(since it can be 65 degrees one day in Florida, and be 80 the next), or to set a reminder while I'm driving.

Whatever the case may be, I know one thing for sure: I will definitely forget where my phone is again, and

Moto Voice will definitely be there to save me again.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Since last week almost all of the Moto X Pure editions owners should have received a notification to update the phone OS to Android M. I get very excited when I hear about OS updates, especially when Google does a great job of publicizing all the new features. However it does take time for the Android manufacturers to push the OS update out.

So what is the big deal with Android M, especially on this device? Well lets find out. Full disclosure, some of these features are standard across all stock Androids, so they come to this device too

• Now on Tap - this is the next generation for Google Now that allows you to get information about the stuff on the current screen by holding the home button. So e.g. if you are listening to a song on Spotify or Google Music, the Now on Tap will get information about the artist, the song and what have you, without leaving the music app. This functionality is not just limited to music apps. My buddy Ramsey646 has a great blog on this HERE
  • Doze - this is where the device goes into "sleep mode" to increase battery life. How do they do that? Another buddy of mine dharbit has a detailed blog on Android Doze HERE
  • UI - well there isn't much to write home about here. The app drawer gets a little makeover by putting a row of most used apps on the top. THe moto does not seem to be showing this feature so could be just a Nexus thing. But other then that, the changes are extremely hard to pinpoint.
  • Lock screen microphone - This adds a Google Now microphone to the lock screen for easy access, just like the camera icon. Its pretty nifty
  • Permissions - This is by far the biggest change in Android M and should get very annoying at first. What this does is forces the app to ask permission every time it needs to access something from the phone that is a shared resource. E.g. the first time I started hangouts, it asked me if it could access my contacts. Now if you dont allow that, you will have to just enter your peeps info by hand and it will stay just as an email or phone number depending on what you used. It will not access your contacts. Then if you want to video chat with that said peep, it would ask you to allow access to camera and microphone. If you allow, great, if not, you cannot video chat. See my point about being annoying? The point is, the apps will now to be required to ask you, only the first time, they need access to a resource, instead of a blanket permission notification when downloading the app from the store. Some say that's the way it should be, and yes it will take some getting used to, so get ready.
  • Under the hood - a lot of updates were under the hood. Memory management, power (see Doze above), performance enhancements, the whole 9 yards, so I wont spend a lot of time on those here. There are several blogs about them, and the user will only notice a few, but cannot see anything concrete on the UI etc.

Hopefully you have or will update to the latest OS by Android on your Moto X Pure Edition and enjoy it just like I am. The battery life is just amazing!

Until Next Time

-- Your Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee#

0 Comments

unnamed.png

Motorola Migrate is a revolutionary app that Motorola made for the original Moto X and still today it works fantastic.  With all the backup software out there from either google or the manufactures, oh yeah and don’t forget the 3rd party options. They still struggle to beat the Motorola Migrate app.  This app makes it so easy to transfer your old content to your new device, it’s just a download away and you can transfer your music, pictures, videos, text, call history and contacts.   It is nice when you can get your new phone up and running in a matter of minutes and transfer all your data over and not have to worry about whether or not you got your pictures off of your old phone.  I am not eh type of person that likes to keep text in my phone but the few I do keep I hate to lose so I like the fact that I can transfer those text over to my new phone and not lose any information.

motorola-migrate-645x379.jpg

Source

Move stuff from your old phone to your new Motorola smartphone.

Compatibility

Motorola Migrate supports migration FROM:

- Phones on Android 2.2 Froyo through Android 5.1 Lollipop.

- Contacts from non-smartphones/traditional phones with Bluetooth support (for compatibility list, see: www.motorola.com/getmigrate)

Motorola Migrate supports migration TO:

- Motorola phones on Android 4.1 through Android 5.1 (Jellybean, KitKat and Lollipop)

- Excludes Motorola Nexus/GPE devices

One of the biggest pains of a new phone is leaving behind important stuff on your old phone. Now you can move the most important content from your old to your new phone in just a few steps, wirelessly.

To transfer from Android:

Download this app to your old Android phone to transfer photos, videos, text history, call history and SIM contacts.

Also download to your supported Motorola phones to update the pre-installed app with all the latest features.

On your new Motorola Android phone, Select “Android” from the first screen in Migrate and follow the instructions to pair your new and old phones.

To transfer from non-smartphones:

Download this app to your supported Motorola phones to transfer contacts.

On your new Motorola Android phone, Select “Other” from the first screen in Migrate and follow the instructions to pair your new and old phones.

Your old non-smartphone device must have Bluetooth in order to use this feature.

May not work with all older phones. For a compatibility list, go to: www.motorola.com/getmigrate

Motorola Privacy Policy
www.motorola.com/device-privacy

Thanks for reading!

"Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee."

0 Comments

Google's Marshmallow version of Android is here for the Motorola X Pure Edition and I'm loving a particular feature that makes Google Now even more now.  Dubbed "Google Now on Tap" the new functionality takes key content delivery features from Android's Google Now experience and integrates it closer to your everyday smartphone usage behaviors.   So what is the big deal?  It highlights Google's design priority of functionality integration that leads toward easing and enriching the user experience.  Google Now took that first integration step by acting as a life aggregator, intelligently gathering content, news, events, and other relevant stuff into a card like presentation in one spot.  Voice recognition through "Ok Google" then came along and created a very simple integrated way of searching anything you could think of or execute commands on native functions like your alarm clock.   I think of Google Now on Tap, in terms of design philosophy, as a combination of both.   On Tap provides the same aggregator function as Google Now and provides that content via an easy search function like "Ok Google".   The twist is Google implemented all of this closer to where it matters most, wherever you are on your screen!

Let me explain via the screenshots I provide below which illustrates the experience flow you can expect when in Spotify but what you can also expect from most applications. Chris Stapleton is a stud, anyone that can hang with JT on stage at the CMA ceremony is worthy of a blog reference.  In this example I'm listening to Chris's hit "Tennessee Whiskey" and I'm curious to know more about the song or what's going on with him.   I simply press and hold the circle home button and the second screen shot appears. On Tap has taken key information displayed on your screen and has performed a content search retrieving relevant information.   Want to see a video on Youtube for Tennessee Whiskey?  Bam, on tap!  News on Stapleton's tour?  Bam, on tap! Images from said tour?  Bam, on tap!   You get the idea, the new functionality integrates the Google Now experience directly into your normal interaction with your device making it easier and more compelling to engage.   Try it out, an awesome feature that illustrates Google's commitment to enriching the satisfaction of your Android experience!

Spotify.png

The Functionality.png

News Feed.png

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity.

0 Comments

http://cdn01.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/android-6.0-marshmallow.jpg

(source)

One of the many benefits of having a Motorola phone with the fact that the software is essentially stock

Android, with some minor practical add-ons.  Having a near-stock environment also means that Google

updates can be implemented much faster on the Motorola phones (directly through the manufacturer)

than virtually every other major offering on the market.  The Motorola pure edition is no exception, my

friends.  As of noon yesterday, I have had a delicious marshmallow inside of my phone, and it is running

great!  I waited 24 hours to make sure I didn't see anything unusual before advising everything to accept

the download sooner than later, but let me tell you, it's running smoother than ever, and the additional

features make an already practical phone that would make any pragmatist blush.  Here are a few of the

features most people will appreciate:

1. Copy and paste has become even easier and more precise.  This is especially useful when trying to

copy an address out of a text message.  I used to copy the whole message and then deleting everything

except for the address when pasting in Google maps!  Ugh!  So frustrating, but no more!

2. The confusing attempt Google made at adding more functionality to the Volume options made even

the most tech savvy person scratch their head.  I missed several appointments because I thought my

alarm would go off in silent mode, but it actually had to be in priority mode...........what the frack?!  If

I didn't want the alarm to go off, I wouldn't have scheduled it in the first place!  Wooossaaahhhh!

Serenity now!  Ok, now that I have that out of my system, I can tell you that my frustration is gone, thanks

to the new volume controls.  They are much clearer as far as knowing what you're changing.

3. Doze.  Doze is the newest attempt at improving battery life on Android.  The theory is simple: lower

usage of everything when the phone isn't being used.  Simple, right?  Essentially, with the except of

important notifications (including messages and calls), the interval between checks on background

processes becomes longer, saving you a ton of battery when you're not using the phone.  This is going to

be a big deal for most normal users, but remember that this will not affect the amount of battery drained

while using screen time, so be aware of that (I'm looking at you, person that has their screen on max

brightness, ALWAYS).

myMotoXP2.jpg

Although this only scratches the surface, these are the biggest reasons I decided to update to Marshmallow,

and although it has only been 24 hours, I am too happy that I decided to download it.  You can check out

more features here, or by doing a simple Google search.  Moto X Pure Edition Marshmallow!!!!  Yay!!

0 Comments

android-6.0-marshmallow.jpg

Once again I scream the praises of having a manufacture keep their phones to close as stock android as possible! I am all for manufactures trying to make the OS better and putting their own flair on it. When a manufacture changes so much, that it looks or operates no where near it was intended to be that’s where I draw the line. Since Motorola announced 6.0 was coming in the coming days I could hardly wait. They keep a clean android experience with the added Moto assist features included.

moto-x-pure-edition-review-005-1280x855.jpg

I will be focusing on the one feature of Android 6.0 that means the most to me. This wonderful addition is “doze”.  I think this is a very cleaver name coming from google. This is all about saving battery. Now ill say upfront, its not perfect but it makes a huge difference when you have it. As the name implies you lay your phone down and after 30 minutes or so your phone takes a nap basically. This doesn’t prevent phone calls, sms and other notifications. Once the Moto X hits the time limit it goes in to ultra battery savings. It will change how often your phone reaches out for notifications such as facebook, twitter, email and all the other accounts you have synced to your phone. Doze results in extended battery life when left alone on a flat surface. Doze will not kick in when in your pocket or moving around constantly. Google explained that this is mainly for forgetting to charge your device while charging and not waking up with a dead phone and missed alarm.

Android-M-s-New-Doze-Feature-Is-a-Mixed-Bag-482789-2.jpg

I can personally attest to battery savings overnight or at work. When I leave my phone at my desk for long periods of time I notice a 1-5% drop over several hours. The few times I have forgot to charge my phone overnight was where doze really shined. Over a seven to eight hours off the charger I drop no more than five percent. I could check my email in the past and watch five percent disappear in a few minutes. This saved me once before falling asleep early and not plugging on my phone. I had fifteen percent left and woke up with ten percent left. This kept me from missing my alarm. With turbo charge I plugged it in while I got ready and was out the door with sixty percent!

The easy part about enabling this feature is… there are no instructions. You can’t turn it on by default or dig into the settings to tweak it. It will engage when your phone needs it. Making one less thing to worry about.

0 Comments

The only drawback that comes to mind when thinking of the Moto X Pure Edition is the fact that it takes

a little extra effort (emphasis on little) to get the phone from the interwebz to my hand.  As you may have

noticed, Sprint (or anyone else, for that matter) does not currently offer it on its website for sale.  You

may be asking yourself "Well, how is this possible?!  I can see blogs being posted about how amazing

it works on the Sprint network, so I know people have it, but how do I get my hands on this thing?". 

Well, all it takes is a few simple steps on the Motorola website to customize the phone, and then BAM!

You'll have it at your doorstep in a jiffy (Jiffies may vary.  My jiffy was about 5 business days, if I remember

correctly).  Here is how to customize, and order, your new Moto X Pure edition:

myMotoXP2.jpg

1. Go here.  You're done!  Just kidding!  Now you need to customize this sucker to be *your* phone.

2. First, pick the memory configuration you want to use.  I recommend at least 32GB, but I also use my

phone as an external hard drive sometimes, so take that for what it's worth.  If most of your stuff stays in

the cloud (pictures, music, etc), then 16GB will be enough.  Every extra 16GB is another $50, so the

16GB is $399, 32GB is $450, and the 64GB is $499.

3. Next, the front part.  I opted for the white/silver, but if you are thinking about the blue accent, I would

go for the black front.  It REALLY makes the blue pop.  The white still looks sharp, but the black really

makes the blue speakers stand out.

4. Now starts the fun stuff!  You can choose the back color/material under the "back" section.  I chose the

soft touch blue, but if you are more of a leather person, you can opt for that, or get a wooden back to feel

even closer to nature.  You can choose from 10 colors for the soft touch part, and 4 for both the wooden and

leather backs.

5. Accent color!  This will apply to the back camera/flash bar that joins to the signature Moto Dimple that

makes the phone easier to hold, and also makes the front facing speakers pop visually, since they need

no help "poppin'" from an audio perspective. 

6. If this phone wasn't unique enough already, you can put a personalized engraving on the back.  It could

be your name or anything else, really, but you need to within a 14 character confine.  You don't want to

forget about that limit and be the person that has "Live Long and " on their phone!

7. "Wait, you're telling me that the phone can have my name show up on the screen when it starts up?!"

Yes, friend.  That is exactly what I'm telling you.  But, again, there is a limit, albeit 18 characters this time.

Don't forget this, because you don't want to be person that has "Live Long and Pros" on their phone!

8. Finally, and this may be the most important part, CHOOSE SPRINT AS YOUR SIM CARRIER!  You

don't want to be with the other guys with the prices we have right now. 

moto-x-style-colors1.jpg

(source)

After you get the phone, you can activate it via your online account as easily as any other phone.  See? 

Not that hard.  In fact, the process is fairly straight forward and painless.  The further you get into choosing

your parts, the more excited you start getting about the build.  If the ordering process is this fun, can you

imagine how fun the phone is going to be?  I don't have to, since I already got mine, but what are you

waiting for?!  "Go on, get!"

0 Comments

logo-motocare.png

Here is something I don't think about much before I buy a product. How good is their customer service? Well I have to say, when I had my Moto X for a few weeks I started having random reboots and boot loops several times a day. I called up Motorola and advised them of my issues. We went through a few troubleshooting steps that didn?t resolve the issue. Sometimes you just get faulty hardware and it needs to be replaced. This issue seems to be rare for this device and I wasn?t worried. After we exhausted our troubleshooting steps, they tech advised to send the phone in for inspection. Took a few days to reach the factory and once they reviewed the phone they gave me an update stating I was getting a replacement device. This was pretty painless and I appreciated that aspect. I like to believe I am a patient person and didn?t mind the week and a half turn around.

customer-service.0822.12.jpg

Now this is where Motorola shined and made a customer happy. They advised they didn't have any in stock for the Moto X Pure because of my customized version from Moto Maker. Well they just sent me another code to start over. I thought that was pretty cool and helpful on their part. It really seems they care about the customer and brand image. I am very happy to have my phone back, I didn't like the idea being stuck on my old phone but Motorola limited my downtime. This is another reason I would recommend to have a backup phone incase something like this happens in the future. Sometimes you get a lemon and need to exchange. Now I have to wait for that amazing update to Android 6.0!

First Image via motrola.com

Second image via Forbes.com

0 Comments

Capture1.PNG

Don’t you just hate when you have that cool video or that new trailer that you want to show to your friends but no one can hear it. You push the volume up button but realize it’s at full blast, unfortunately that moment you thought would great has now just turned into a whimper. In comes the Moto X to the rescue, this phone’s sound level is so high that you won’t have to turn up the volume, in fact you may have to do the opposite.  I was at birthday party and a friend with an unnamed phone was attempting to show a few people a funny video and you have to hear the sound of the video that is what makes the video funny. Well needless to say no one could hear it let alone see it.  So I told him to allow me to show the video, it was so loud everyone could hear it perfectly and more people came to see what was going on because you could hear it from the other side of the house.  With this phone there is no need to lug around any size Bluetooth speaker.  I use my phones speakers all the time, when I was outside hanging Christmas lights I enjoyed listening to music while I was working on a large string of lights trying to find the 1 bulb out of 100 that was bad causing half the string to go dark.  So I played music via my moto to make the time pass quicker and enjoy some tunes.  This phone out shines every phone on the market but one, the Nexus 6 has the same great speakers.  So you no longer need any extra devices to listen to tunes where ever you’re at this phone will be loud enough for any tune you throw at it.

Thanks for reading!

"Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee."

0 Comments

Capture1.PNG

I don’t like cases on my phones, but I always use them.  I don’t want to hide the beauty of any mobile device, but protecting the devices is the key. So, I always use cases, some cases enhance the devices style while others take away.   Since I have a custom Ash wood grain back on my Moto X Pure, I did not want to cover it up.   But here we are I purchased a case and the phone still looks great.  There are a few options out there for the Moto X Pure, not nearly enough so the pickings are slim.  But here are a few possible choices that will keep your custom look of your phone and protect it.

Here are the 3 cases I considered when protecting my phone.

supcase min.jpg

SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle Series Premium Hybrid Protective Bumper Case - This case offers a slim option with a frosted clear back to show off your custom design.

supcase armour.jpg

SUPCASE [Heavy Duty] Belt Clip Holster Case – this case encases the entire phone, has a built in screen protector and offers military grade protection.  But you can’t show off your sweet phone design

ibason.jpgi-Blason [Scratch Resistant] Halo Series Hybrid Clear Case – This case is clear and has a scratch resistant coating.  It offers minimal protection but offers a clear picture of your custom design.

I picked the unicorn beetle and it’s great. My phone is protected and I can still see the ash wood

Thanks for reading!

0 Comments

Most of my circle of friends outside of work are Scouts.  And as scout leaders, we're frequently away from an outlet for a while.  The first question I get asked about any new phone I bring out to test is "How's the battery life?"  Usually I mumble something about it lasting most of the day, while I dig around for my 20,000 mAh portable battery.  But with the Moto X Pure Edition, I've been able to brag about the battery life - under my typical use I'm seeing 16+ hours of battery life - a full working day and then some.  That includes lots of email, an hour or so of streaming radio (gotta have my NPR!) and the typical social media updating.

Screenshot_2015-12-04-13-02-40.png

With a 3,000 mAh battery and the huge screen, you wouldn't expect to see 16 hour battery life fromt eh phone - but Motorola has set this up nicely and the phone is consistently delivering better battery life than my past few phones.  It's impressed me and my Scout leader friends!

- Will England

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Keep your hands at 10 and 2, and keep your eyes on the road. These were the first words to me when I got my learners license, sadly I rarely paid attention to that. Now that I am older, I realize how dumb I was as a teenager when I drove. However, none of what I used to do compare with we see on the roads these days, young and old alike texting and fiddling around on their phone while driving.

clay-dugas-texting-driving--661x160.jpg

We have a plethora of devices geared to keep our attention on the road, but sadly people are still getting into accidents because we don’t keep our eyes on the road. If you are one of these, I urge you to take heed to the stats listed below.

1. 5 seconds is the minimal amount of attention that a driver who texts takes away from the road. If traveling at 55 mph, this equals driving the length of a football field without looking at the road.
  2. Texting makes a crash up to 23 times more likely.
  3. Teens who text while driving spend 10% of the time outside their lane.
  4. According to AT&T's Teen Driver Survey, 97% of teens agree that texting while driving is dangerous, yet 43% do it anyway.
  5. 19% of drivers of all ages admit to surfing the web while driving.
  6. 40% of teens say that they have been in a car when the driver used a cell phone.
  7. The most recent National Occupant Protection Use Survey finds that women are more likely than men to reach for their cell phones while driving (sorry ladies).
  8. According to 77% of teens, adults tell them not to text or email while driving, yet adults do it themselves “all the time.” (yes, many of us are hypocrites)
  9. 9 in 10 teens expect a reply to a text or email within five minutes or less, which puts pressure on them to respond while driving.

https://www.dosomething.org/facts/11-fact-about-texting-and-driving

textdrive3.gif

Why am I rolling all these stats, to scare you? Yes, but also to promote how valuable the Moto X pure edition can be to solve the above listed problems.

You can dictate to the phone, pull up your favorite music all with the sound of your voice. 

This device is perfect for parents who want to give their kids a cell phone. It promotes safety while driving and let’s face it; a car wreck is not worth typing out an “LOL”.

For those who are looking for a device that is sleek and powerful and also has features that can save your life, this is the phone for you.

Thanks

Stanny George

Sprint IP Services

0 Comments

Quick charging has been a saving grace for these last few weeks.

I have become a forgetful person in my old age, or maybe it?s the aluminum in the deodorant, or the steroids in the chicken. Either way, I feel like the main character in Momento. For people like me, quick charging has been a Godsend, it gives me that extra boost without having to commit a lot of time to plugging my phone into the wall.

Recently my wife calls out to me while I?m watching Pardon the Interruption. I hear mumbling while I?m watching my favorite tv hosts Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon talk about why and if Kobe should retire right away (I feel he should call it quits now). After the show ends, I ask my wife what she was telling me, after she finishes complaining that I don?t ever listen to her, she tells me that we have to leave in 10 minutes to go my kids concert. I look down at the phone and realize its almost dead. I have 16% and for a 1 hour show and then a 1 to 2 hour dinner, my phone won?t last the number of times that I?ll be checking the Magic game score sheet.

Not to worry, I know that the Moto X has the option to do a quick charge. I plug the phone into the outlet for 10 minutes while I pretty myself up (a hard task). Within 10 minutes, the phone increased by 20 % and lasted the entire time with no issues. Quick charging has been a crutch for me, I no longer scramble to plug my phone in at the end of the day. If I forget, the quick charging option is there to bail me out.

As you can see below within 11 to 12 minutes, the battery life increases by 20 %.

quickcharging3.png

quick chargin 1.png

Thanks

Stanny George

0 Comments

motox-wall_1024.jpg

Choosing a smartphone gets harder every day, especially when you are used to a certain product line.

I can't tell you how many times I have heard "I've always had an iPhone", or "I'll only own a Nexus",

and I roll my eyes every time because there are so many lines out there, changing (for better or worse)

every year with a bunch of new features.  Some are ubiquitous across any smartphone, while others

are unique to one line and become a staple that other brands attempt to emulate.  The Moto X line has

certainly been a game changer, being the first to offer things like active display and completely

hands free inquiries using the "Ok, Google Now" command, which has gotten a lot snappier, and a lot

cooler, especially for the Star Trek or Avengers fan, since you can now customize the phrase that wakes

up your phone to something like "Hey, Jarvis", or "Hello, Computer".

tumblr_m47545YATa1qzvn61o1_500.jpg

(source)

If you are on the fence about getting the Device, here are some of my favorite features to get you over:

-Motion shortcuts to launch things like the flashlight (LED flash in the back) and the camera app

-Active display

-Customizable voice activated assistant

-"Incognito" access to your voice assistant by allowing it to activate when placing the phone by your

ear, which is probably a little less awkward than talking out loud to your phone in the middle of a

Starbucks

-Take a selfie by telling your phone to take a selfie!

-(almost) stock android, with the addition of the very practical Motorola features

-Motorola Migrate, which helps to move all the important things from your old phone to your Moto X

-SD Slot!

-Vibrant mode for the display, in case you get sad that this generation does not have an AMOLED

-AMAZING front facing speakers that rival some external Bluetooth ones

myMotoXP1.jpgmyMotoXP2.jpg

There are so many reasons to love this phone, especially since this is the only one that you can

truly customize, but the fact that there are so many practical features available, not just

superfluous "here is an app so I can say I have a new feature" feature, makes this one of the

best options for the average user, well, really, for any user.  Don't take my word for it, though.  I'm

biased.  That's right, I'll admit it.  I love this frickin' phone!  You can check out many more great

features by going here, some of which were mentioned in this post.

0 Comments

moto_turbopower_landingpage_whatis_540.png

When I first heard the news wireless charging was not added to the phone, I was pretty disappointed. I really enjoy the ability to lay my phone on the nightstand without plugging cables in. With such an amazing phone for the price, some sacrifices had to be made to keep their target price. Motorola has a feature that they call ?TurboPower?. With battery technology not really making the progress I hope for, manufactures had to come up with a solution to give our devices a decrease in charging time. Each generation of android is more power efficient than the last.  The chipsets (CPU) get an improvement in every new generation as well. I also have noticed a trend with manufactures being able to squeeze much bigger batteries in the frames of phones by having the battery intergraded. With all these improvements the battery tech has stayed relatively stagnate.

moto-turbopower-landingpage-editorial-1-d.jpgmoto-turbopower-landingpage-editorial-2-d.jpgmoto-turbopower-landingpage-editorial-3-d.jpg

With TurboPower Motorola has separated them from QUALCOMM?s 2.0 standard. Motorola has developed a custom battery for the fastest possible charging and overall battery life. Moto?s software monitors the present health of the battery. Their software automatically adjusts the amount of charge delivered at every interval of the battery charging. Lastly Motorola makes the charging much cooler, TurboPower is designed to maintain a constant charging rate with no slow downs because of heat buildup. Excessive heat exposure overtime is known to kill batteries faster than anything. This should really keep the battery as health for as long as possible. I have noticed this personally, my Moto X does not get near as warm as some of the other turbocharging phones out there.

PowerCompare11415.png

Needless to say with the improvement in charging I don?t mind the lack of wireless charging like I first thought. Being able to plug my phone in for fifteen minutes and get thirty percent added when I?m in a pinch.

Images via Motorola.com

0 Comments

moto-x-pure-edition-9.jpg

Motorola promoting safe driving with their Moto Assist suite of features is a beautiful thing. Now this is not a new feature for the Moto X line. This was introduced on the first Moto X 2013 edition. I was lucky enough to review that phone as well. It’s a simple feature that really hasn’t caught on to the market. Other manufactures need to adopt this as well. I’m glad to see Motorola pioneering this great and easy feature. The feature I am talking about is Driving with Moto Assist. Moto Assist is an app baked into the Moto X series to automate functions in your life. My phone knows when I’m in a meeting and will automatically switch to silent. Who wants to be the person scrambling for their phone to silence the ring while in an important meeting? As I mentioned in my previous blog I could discreetly lift the phone to my ear and ask “What’s up Moto X”, my phone will begin to speak the notifications to me like I’m taking a call. My info will not be blasted on speakerphone in front of everyone.

drivefirst_fb.jpg

Now the feature I am highlighting is the Driving assist portion. When my phone detects I am driving, my Moto X will ask if I wasn’t to hear my text messages read aloud or it will auto reply with a text you create before hand. The default message reads something like “ sorry I am driving and I will get back to you soon, sent from my Moto X”. I love this feature and really appreciate Motorola trying to stop dangerous driving. I lose count how many people on the road are staring at their phones trying to type.

moto-assist.jpg

I am impressed by how well the phone understands my voice commands even with road noise and other sounds. Motorola really put a quality microphone and software to accurately dictate what the user wants. Having my phone automated like Moto Assist delivers is a hard thing to over look. I want my phone to make my life more convenient and productive. I can say completely this phone gives me both!

First image via droid-life.com

0 Comments

Another thing I love about my Moto X Pure Edition…it has outstanding battery life and ludicrous speed charging.

It comes equipped with a 3000mAH battery and offers as good day of battery life, if not more. I find that I can go overnight without charging, I can still have enough juice to last me throughout the morning.

motoxpurecharge.jpg

The Moto X Pure Edition offers TurboPower Charging. TurboPower allows the Motorola X Pure Edition to achieve the maximum about of charge in the least amount of time. It is the fastest charging available today, due to the way it all works harmoniously (the charger with the device).

TurboPower will provide up to ten hour of battery life in only 15 minutes! How is this done?

Motorola had a custom battery designed that works with TurboPower to achieve the fastest charging possible.

TurboPower works with the Moto X Pure Edition’s software to monitor battery health. The software then adjusts the charge amount at every stage, which results in optimal charging rates.

Also, there thermal management is involved, as prolonged heat exposure can damage a battery. TurboPower will avoid charging slowdowns that are due to heat, and maintain a fast charging rate.

If you need a device that is going to provide you the battery life you need to live your life, the Moto X Pure Edition is the device for you.

To purchase and build your very own Moto X Pure Edition, visit: http://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-pure-edition.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee #jruggiero #sprintproductambassadors

0 Comments

The Moto X Pure Edition has many unique features, and one of them is its amazing cameras.

The Moto X Pure Edition comes with a 21 megapixel rear-facing camera, and a 5 megapixel front-facing camera. The rear camera consists of a Sony IMX230 image sensor which is the latest and greatest metal-oxide semicondutor (CMOS) image sensor for mobile devices.

The camera has an HDR (High Dynamic Range) feature which works beautifully in high-contrast environments.

Regarding the aperture, the Moto X Pure Edition camera has a f/2.0 aperture which allows for more light in those low-light situations.

The camera comes with a blue glass infrared filter which eliminates that flare you see when you photograph fire. I hope to have the opportunity to capture some firepit images soon!

Its Phase Detection AutoFocus provides an amazingly quick focus. It also has zero shutter lag, which means that when you touch the screen your photo is instantly taken. It is a bit shocking for me to use actually, as I’m not used to photos instantly being captured like that. I touched the screen and boom... photo was captured with zero lag.

The camera has a Color Correlated Temperature (CCT) dual LED flash which adjusts to natural looking skin tones and vibrant colors, even in dull lighting conditions.

There is a Best Shot feature that captures multiple images before and after you touch the screen, and then it will recommend the best shot to you. It helps to avoid those annoying blinks and blurs in your images. This is a perfect feature for me, as I am one that always blinks in a shot. Best Shot works with both the rear and front facing cameras.

Another unique feature is Quick Capture. Quick Capture allows you to turn on the camera with a simple twist of your wrist. Using this feature will allow you to capture shots on the fly. This is another very useful feature for me. Often times I am trying to capture a photo, but by the time I find the camera app, the moment I wanted to capture is gone. With Quick Capture, this issue is now resolved.

The front camera has a “wide-angle range” feature. With this feature, you will be able to get your buds in that selfie with you! The front camera also has an LED flash, which works beautifully in low-light conditions.

I have been very impressed with the cameras on the Moto X Pure Edition. If you’re looking for a device that captures quality, outstanding images, the Moto X Pure Edition is for you.

motoxpure.png

To purchase and build your very own Moto X Pure Edition, visit: http://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-pure-edition.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PAs do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee #jruggiero #sprintproductambassadors

0 Comments

Quick tip for those of you that adopt any apps to customize your lock screen experience on the Moto X Pure Edition (MXPE).   I'm a big fan of Widget Locker, the application has a wide range of options that allow lock screen control over key device functions, widget interactions, unlocking, and appearance features.  You could have 100s of people customize their lock screen with Widget Locker and not one of them would be remotely the same.  Obvious statement but Android has its own lock screen functions, and no matter what phone you have normally you select your unlock option as part of the device set up process.  In the event you are looking for a more robust solution let apps like Widget Locker step in to fill the void.  The tricky part is getting it to work correctly allowing the app to override native lock screen functions on your device.  Sounds simple enough but this was a problem that vexed me up until today on my MXPE.   I'm assuming the two settings I'm about to show you are universally applicable to all lock screen apps but know I am writing in context of what is required for Widget Locker to work appropriately.

Security

security.png

First find your screen lock options within the security section of the settings menu.   Selecting "None" will ensure you aren't required to pull double duty each time you want to unlock your device.  If that doesn't bother you and security is a concern by all means leave it on, Widget Locker will first appear providing all the robust capabilities followed by the native swipe/pattern/pin/password native lock screen option.

Notifications

wakey.png

The setting to the left was the source of my struggles until recently.  My expectation after selecting none in the option above was that all would be well but I still found the device would wake with a lock command pointed toward event notifications.  What I was not aware of is this particular function was a unique display option from Motorola.   Within the display section of the settings menu you will find an option labeled "screen notifications".  Once selected the options pictured left will appear and "Moto Display" will be shown selected by default.  If left as is anytime you receive a text, email, or other event warranting a notification a lock icon will appear that will allow you to unlock directly to that notification's application.   Not a bad solution but if you want a 3rd party app to truly govern your lock screen experience you will need to select "None" removing this option.

Two short steps to lock screen freedom, customization is a beautiful thing so enjoy!

Until Next Time-

Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

The word perfect can get thrown around a lot. Millennials use it too much to describe almost every aspect of their life. This movie is perfect, this plate of pasta with guanciale is perfect, and my cup of coffee with a pattern of the Greek historian Herodotus is perfect. Many phone manufacturers use this same word when it comes to the devices that they churn out, it dumbs down the word for me. I rarely use such a word to describe anything, unless of course it’s my wife and kids who are all perfect in my eyes.

gsmarena_001.jpg

Perfect is a completely apt adjective to use in describing the Moto X Pure edition. This device is like the bowl of porridge that Goldilocks ate, it’s the chair she sat in or the bed she finally feel asleep it. It’s just right! It the perfect size, it has the size for movies music videos yet is not so gargantuan that one can’t fit it into your pocket. Don’t worry youngsters, this phone will fit in your skinny jeans.

There are other manufacturers that come out with some of the same aspects that this phone has however, Motorola just seems to do them better than these companies. It’s like comparing you and I to Lebron James, sure we can dribble and shoot the basketball but he just seems to be able to do it better than all of us.

Two of these aspects are;

Front facing speakers, while also on other devices are just slightly different on the Moto X. What’s the big deal with these speakers? To me when I first laid the phone on the screen, I noticed that the speakers kept the screen off the table. This prevents scratches many of use inevitably put the phone down face down.

A recessed camera, this small design allows you to lay the phone on its back without having the fear what is being done to the camera. The position of the camera is one of the reasons why I hesitate to put a case on this phone. It isn’t needed other than the fact that I am clumsy as Steve Urkel.

Thanks

Stanny George

0 Comments

Moto XPE.jpg

Aside from calling and texting, the feature I use most often on my smartphones is the GPS for exercise. Running has become a habit and a stress reliever so I have to have a phone that can have an accurate GPS without draining the battery way down. I am currently using the Moto X Pure edition so I have been putting it through all the tests to see how it can hold up.

When I created the phone using the Moto Maker I actually designed it to match my running shoes and the colors of most of my running outfits. I go through a lot of shoes so it’s only a matter of time until it doesn’t match, but it was fun to be able to create it that way. I chose the colored back and it has a rubbery grip feel to it which can be good and bad. The phone is really easy to hold at the start of a run, but towards the end when you are sweaty the grip kind of goes away. I would recommend a clear case for it to add some extra protection. The clear case will allow you to show off your customized design.

There are a ton of different running apps that you can download from the Google Play store and they all work pretty much the same way. My app of choice is Endomondo and it’s always one of my first downloads. I usually run the same route daily so I know about where each mile will begin and end so it makes it easy to see if a phone is off with the GPS. I was happy to see that the Moto XPE was pretty much spot on each mile. Motorola has always had a good reputation with GPS and this phone is no different.

The sound output from the headphones is great and will go pretty loud if you want it to. If you are in a secluded area, or just don’t care about the noise, you could listen to music without headphones because the Moto XPE has the two front speakers which put out a great sound. I ran in a park the other day and tried it out just for blogging purposes. I got to say it felt pretty weird and I will probably stick to headphones, but it worked great and is a good option to have on the phone.

If you are an exercise fanatic, or even just beginning your journey, the Moto XPE makes a fantastic companion to help you along the way. If you want to pick one of these awesome phones up you can go to Motorola’s website and create your own today!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Motorola_Mobility_Logo.png

I find it fascinating that an American icon like Motorola who basically invented the cellphone has seen so much change over the years, from breaking up into several companies, to being acquired by Google, to now being under a massive Chinese entity Lenovo.  What many folks may not know is that Motorola has a long and colorful history dating back to the 1920's.  Let's take a little stroll back in time, shall we?

Source: Motorola

1920s

In 1928 Paul V. and Joseph E. Galvin purchased the bankrupt Stewart Battery Company's battery eliminator plans and manufacturing equipment at auction for $750. Galvin Manufacturing Corporation set up shop in a small section of a rented building at 847 West Harrison Street in Chicago, Illinois, USA.

The company had $565 in working capital and five employees.

The first week's payroll was $63.

The company's first product was the "B" battery eliminator - a device that enabled battery-powered radios to be powered by household electricity.

1930s

When the Great Depression hit in 1929, the entire country was affected. Galvin Manufacturing was not excluded.

After a year in the battery eliminator and radio business, Galvin Manufacturing Corporation expected to keep growing. But after the October 1929 stock market crash in the United States radio sales plummeted. The young company was close to failing.

Company founder Paul V. Galvin learned that some radio shops were installing sets in cars. Inspired, he challenged his employees to design an inexpensive car radio that could be installed in most vehicles. With the hard work of an enthusiastic team, Galvin was able to demonstrate a working model of the radio at the June 1930 Radio Manufacturers Association convention in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Afterward he was able to bring home enough orders to keep the company afloat.

1940s

Television was introduced to Americans at the 1939 New York World's Fair, but the new medium did not become available to the public until after World War II. Motorola, one of several pioneering television manufacturers, began its own television research and development in the spring of 1939, stopped in 1941 to focus on war-related projects, and resumed work in the spring of 1945.

One of the war-related products Galvin manufacturing Corporation was working on was a battlefield radio.

Prior to the United States entering World War II, Galvin Manufacturing Corporation engineer Donald Mitchell developed a prototype of a handheld portable two-way radio that would "follow man in combat."

The U.S. Army Signal Corps was not interested and considered it a stopgap radio because of its short range of about one mile (1.6 km). But Mitchell continued to improve the design. He and his team developed a two-way AM radio that a single person could carry and operate with one hand. Tuned using sets of crystals for transmitting and receiving; it was battery-powered and weighed just 5 pounds (2.2 kg).

In 1940 Galvin Manufacturing Corporation engineers developed the Handie-Talkie SCR536 portable two-way radio. This handheld radio became a World War II icon.

War products were not the only focus for Galvin Manufacturing Corporation. In fact, Motorola entered the new field of television with the Golden View TV, model VT71, in 1947. Within a year the company had manufactured more than 100,000 sets and had joined the leading group of television manufacturers.

1950s

The U.S. economy recovered quickly after World War II. Because of wartime production restrictions, Americans were eager to buy many products, including home entertainment equipment and the new craze, television sets. The number of television stations in the United States grew rapidly, rising from 51 in 1949 to more than 400 by 1955. The national networks and independent stations increased the number of hours of broadcasting and introduced greater variety in programming.

U.S. consumers began to consider purchasing television sets for home entertainment, and the company, now named Motorola, designed a set to sell for less than $200. Sales took off and Motorola soon became one of the top television manufacturers in the United States.

In mid-1958, the company introduced its first stereo phonographs. By year-end, sales of stereo products surpassed the prior year's sales of all phonographs and hi-fi equipment. The company then combined stereos, radios and television sets in single units, creating early versions of modern 'home entertainment' centers. By adapting to changing tastes and demands, Motorola's sales grew exponentially and the brand name 'Motorola' became synonymous with 'entertainment in the air.'

After World War II, the U.S. automobile market also grew rapidly. Motorola founder Paul V. Galvin sought to extend the company's automotive business by adding a car heater to the product line. A Motorola gasoline-powered heater developed for the U.S. Army during the war was re-designed for civilian vehicles. It provided heat quickly and maintained a steady temperature inside the car. But the engineers couldn't solve some of the technical difficulties, including how to properly exhaust the gasoline fumes. In 1948 the project was abandoned, with the company absorbing a sizable loss.

Paul Galvin knew fostering a climate of innovation would lead to some failures. He considered it important to apply the lessons learned to help other ventures succeed. Galvin often was quoted as saying, "Do not fear mistakes ... wisdom is often born of such mistakes."

1960s

When the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) was created in 1958, Motorola become one of its first providers of space communications. Among the early contributions were transponders on board Mariner II, launched in 1962 to explore the planet Venus.

In 1968, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) began manned Apollo flights that led to the first lunar landing in July 1969. Apollo 11 was particularly significant for hundreds of Motorolans involved in designing, testing and producing its sophisticated electronics.

1970s

By the late 1960s, consumer demand for mobile phones exceeded capacity. Challenged by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to find a solution, Motorola, AT&T and others began developing systems based on small adjacent radio coverage areas called "cells."

In 1973, Motorola demonstrated a prototype of the world's first portable cellular telephone, using the DynaTAC (Dynamic Adaptive Total Area Coverage) system.

The invention of the microprocessor in 1971 set off a race to develop this new kind of integrated circuit for computers and other machines. Motorola joined the race in 1974 by introducing the MC6800 microprocessor, its first.

Meanwhile, other historic currents in the mid-1970s influenced Motorola's course. As oil shortages and environmental concerns prompted government regulations on automotive emissions, the MC6800 microprocessor showed promise in powering automotive engine controls to regulate gas mileage and emissions. Engineers refined its design to power such a system for General Motors cars. The redesigned MC6800 microprocessor now had a high-volume application and Motorola had an industry-leading partner.

1980s

The 80s were a time of beginnings and endings for Motorola.

The world's first commercial handheld cellular phone, the Motorola DynaTAC phone, received approval from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission on September 21, 1983.

The 28-ounce (794-gram) phone became available to consumers in 1984.

After more than 50 years making car radios, Motorola produced its last car radio in Stotfold, United Kingdom, in 1987.

1990s

In 1990 a Motorola business -- then known as General Instrument Corporation -- proposed the world's first all-digital HDTV (high-definition television) technical standard. Motorola acquired General Instrument in 2000. Unlike its competitors, GI presented to the Federal Communication Commission an all-digital system, a concept that was thought to be technologically unachievable.

During the 90s the Internet was gaining popularity. Motorola announced its first cable modem, the CyberSURFR model, on April 19, 1995. Later in the decade, Motorola completed a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) cellular phone call using the GSM cellular standard. The call originated in London, England.

2000s

During the first decade of the 21st century cell phone popularity raged.

In 2001 Motorola introduced a metal portable cellular phone, the V60 model, with Internet access, text messaging and voice-activated dialing. A year later, the V60 phone became available in all three cellular technologies--GSM, TDMA and CDMA--and quickly became a worldwide best seller.

In 2004 Motorola commemorated the 30 millionth cellular phone manufactured at its Jaguariuna Industrial and Technological Campus in São Paulo, Brazil.

In 2004 Motorola introduced the RAZR V3 cellular phone, an ultraslim, metal-clad, quad-band flip phone. The 13.9mm thin phone used aircraft-grade aluminum to achieve several design and engineering innovations, including a nickel-plated keypad.

Motorola Mobility Holdings, Inc. (Motorola Mobility) on January 4, 2011 announced that it has completed its previously announced spin-off from Motorola, Inc. and its shares will begin trading this morning on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the ticker symbol "MMI."

Motorola Mobility is composed of two industry-leading global technology businesses. The Mobile Devices business is an innovative provider of smartphone devices designed to fit every lifestyle. In 2010, the Mobile Devices business launched 23 smartphones globally, including the highly successful family of DROID™ by Motorola devices as well as BRAVO™, DEF™, FLIPSIDE™, MILESTONE™ and others. The Home business is one of the largest providers of digital set-top boxes and end-to-end video solutions. Motorola Mobility will leverage the capabilities of both the Mobile Devices and Home businesses to deliver innovative smartphones, tablets, set-tops and other converged devices – as well as content delivery and management, and interactive cloud-based services to consumers in the home and on the go.

In 2004 as mentioned above, is something we really can't just gloss over.  And that is of course Moto's invention of the RAZR V3, an incredibly popular clamshell device that redefined the concept of great design in consumer electronics and was really the first time that anyone had a cellphone that actually looked cool.  The RAZR was a MASSIVE device and pretty much the staple until another phone came along that would revolutionize the industry.

Interestingly, not included in Moto's timeline itself but buried in the flipbook were Google's acquisition of the company in August of 2011..

"Google, Inc. and Motorola Mobility, Inc. announced a definitive agreement under which Google would buy Motorola Mobility for $40.00 per share, which was 63% more than Motorola's closing price on the Friday before the announcement. The transaction was unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies."

Or their later acquisition by Lenovo, who made the right choice in basically letting Motorola be.  By leaving it somewhat autonomous and embedded deep into it's Chicago roots, Lenovo has let Motorola flourish and thrive in an environment rich with a history of innovation and pushing boundaries.

Moto says it best on their website today:

Capture.PNG

We are huge Moto fans here on the Sprint Product Ambassador team, and obviously head over heels in love with the Moto X Pure Edition.  If Moto keeps making quality, delightful products like this, they'll be around for another hundred years for sure. 

Here's to what the future holds for the "magic of mobility"!

Until next time,

The Product Ambassador Team

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

Since Motorola has been changing owners for the last 2 years, from independent to Google, then to Lenovo, I always wondered what is their market segment, or differentiating factor? Is anything left or this is just another Nexus style phone with stock Android competing in the vast ocean of Android phones?

Well I will say I am quite happy to report that Moto did a lot of work to stay relevant in this space. Here are some of the not so standard Android things Moto does and they do REALLY well!

1. Moto Maker has to be on the top. This whole experience of ordering a phone that you want, the way you want, kind of like ordering a pizza, or building your custom car. Either way, it is by far the smoothest experience I have ever had. Can't say the decisions I made were easy to make with all the choices, but never the less. Here is my detailed blog on Moto Maker
  2. As we have seen with HTC's Boom Sound technology, Stereo speakers do have room on our phones and I have to say I want this to be a standard. At least Moto listened. The Moto X Pure edition features front stereo speakers, and you can choose their color too!
  3. TurboPower Charging, as they like to call it, is Moto's version or answer for Samsung's Fast Charging or Qualcomm's Quick charge. It gives you 10 hours of battery life in just 15 mins. This is all thanks to their battery technology and software.
  4. From the time of the original Moto X, they offered this features of showing notifications alerts on the main screen by just picking up the phone, or when it detects it is being moved. I like this feature a lot. It does not light up the whole screen like most phones, it only lights up enough pixels to how you what you need to see, and then you can decide to go in, or leave it. That saves battery and time. Wish others could learn from it.
  5. Moto Asist - this is a Moto exclusive, but again wish others would have something similar, learns your behavior and adapts. It can detect when you are in your car, when you are in a meeting and so on. My colleague has a detailed blog on it, so I will just send there THERE
  6. Multi network support - This is a new concept in the Android space in the US. This device works on all 4 carriers, just need the respective SIM cards. I feel like that is the way to go and I am seeing more and more phone manufactures are going that route.
  7. And finally the STYLE, or the fact that you can design it yourself, wait I mentioned that in #1 but guess what, it is so amazing, I want to mentioned it as the opening and closing of the list!

So there you have it, why I think Moto's Android implementation, although still stock, has a few extra bells and whistles to help it stand out in this crowded space.

Until Next Time

0 Comments

So before I got my Moto X Pure edition, I of course, had to order it on their site, or actually, I had to "Design" it to my liking. This is very new in the industry. Most people are used to buying whatever color they like and then "bedazzle" it how they like, fancy or sturdy, etc etc.

So with Moto Maker, you get to Bedazzle your phone, although with a bit of finesse.

You start with going to the motomaker's website

First step, Storage 16,32 and 64

MotoMaker Storage.PNG

Then the front and Frame, this is where you choose the front colors

MotoMaker Front.PNG

Then you choose your Back color and materials, now this is where it gets interesting. There are 18 options! You can pick 10 colors in a soft grip, 4 types of real wood or real leather! now that is quite amazing! See below

MotoMaker Back.PNG

Then comes the accent where you get to choose the speaker grill and back power button/camera area colors

MotoMaker Accents.PNG

Now you can choose the engraving on the back and the boot up animation greeting. These are optional, and the engraving will not work with every back color/type. Even though I did choose this option for myself, I found that it was not very visible and that now if you wanted to give this phone away to your spouse or child later in the coming years, they may not want it (depends on what you wrote of course!)

MotoMaker Greeting.PNG

Then finally the carrier of your choice (Sprint of course) and you are done! This is by far the easiest process (the process, not the decision to choose) I have found on any customization online. And I have to admit my phone looks amazing (see my original blog of unboxing).

Takes about 5 business days or so to ship. Why not give it a shot?

Until next time.

0 Comments

Capture1.PNGOne of my favorite features of a Motorola device is the moto assist feature.  One of its features recognizes when you shouldn’t be bothered and will only allow important calls come through like when you’re sleeping.  My personal favorite is when you driving or you set a location for it to announce to you who is calling or texting and will read the text to you and allow you to respond to the text or answer the call with your voice.  This feature is great for keeping you safe while driving or busy working on something using your hands like cooking. This is by far the best feature on any device I have used.  But it’s only on Motorola so you will have to pick up the Moto X pure!

nmaCapture.PNG

Thanks for reading!

0 Comments

Dug up another feature via tribal knowledge among the Product Ambassadors around motion gestures for the Moto X Pure Edition (PE).   Oddly enough you won't find either of these in any of your settings menus so you just have to be aware that they exist.   So what are they?   Two gestures that I actually find really useful involving the flashlight and camera functions.   Let's take a look at how they work.

Lights, Camera, Action

First up the camera, as of late there have been several different approaches on how to bring up an Android device's camera quickly so users can capture that spontaneous special moment.   Each have their own twist, for this device it is motion based.   Simply twist your wrist twice and the Moto X PE will vibrate and bring the native camera app on screen.  Twist, point, touch the screen and image captured.  Done.  

Quick Video illustration:

https://youtu.be/jyTwwygOxiI

Chop the Light

Equally useful is the gesture motion to activate the native flashlight function.   The Moto X PE leverages a chopping action to bypass the normal multi-step process of engaging the flashlight, and let's face it when you need a flashlight it is urgent!  (think Scooby Doo)  As illustrated in the video this a very simple operation to engage.   

Quick Video illustration:

https://youtu.be/XWNz7jxyl9o

Check them both out, amaze your friend and get the most out of your device!

Until Next Time,

Product Ambassadors