Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Sprint Moto X purchased off contract from Motomaker sim unlocked for international usage?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is the Sprint Moto X purchased off contract from Motomaker sim unlocked for international usage?

Hi,

I had a question I was hoping someone could help me with. I'm looking to get a new phone for my mother who is on my family plan, however, she spends the majority of her time in Taiwan. She however, likes to only have to carry one phone and not have to worry about a second device. She currently has a Motorola XPRT that connects to Sprint CDMA when she is in the United States and then connects to Chunghwa Telecom when she is in Taiwan with a sim card from Chunghwa Telecom.

I'm looking to upgrade her phone when she is in the United States for the Holidays, unfortunately, she won't be in the United States for 90 days in order to qualify for a SIM unlock by Sprint International Services.

My options at this time are:

1) Nexus 5 from Google Play or Sprint Directly because they come SIM unlocked, however, I'd rather get her a Moto X as she doesn't need the latest specs and something with longer battery life and features such as voice command would be way more suitable for her. (Also, she can get one in pink or purple)

2. My other option is to see if Sprint International will wave the 90 day requirement, however, I've heard that this is extremely hit or miss and more likely than not, usually denied.

When it comes down to it, If I can use her phone upgrade from Sprint and they are willing to unlock it for international SIM use, great. (That saves me a ton of money). If not, I will have to look into purchasing a phone that comes unlocked out of the box. I guess this brings everything back to my original question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

George

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Is the Sprint Moto X purchased off contract from Motomaker sim unlocked for international usage?

Nope, the SIM is locked.

Check out the response I got.

https://plus.google.com/114874428605785658638/posts/fkFtiVpXyHi

Highlighted
Master

Re: Is the Sprint Moto X purchased off contract from Motomaker sim unlocked for international usage?

george.shu,

Thanks for posting. I sincerely apologize for the delayed response. Just following up with you to confirm that you've found answers to the above concerns. Please keep us posted should you require any additional assistance.

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat