cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto X software update - version LPA23.12-39.10

Journeyman

Re: Moto X software update - version LPA23.12-39.10

Now for the rest of the story... Sprint is losing me as a customer. I spent another 1.5 hours on the phone with sprint and did a factory reset as a last resort. No go. Whatever they messed up in the upgrade appears to be final. There is no hotspot feature after upgrading. At their suggestion I did also call motorola and spent 30 minutes with them which was absolutely useless. They don't know what they are doing. At least the sprint engineer was helpful and tried to get it working.

My employer is having me replace my phone with a galaxy s5 on at&t which supports the hot spot functionality. I love the moto x and hate to move. But I have no choice besides attempting to roll back the os and I don't want to give that a try. So... goodbye Sprint.

Journeyman

Sprint, this is unacceptable and, I suspect, in violation of your contract to us, your customers.  In exchange for us paying you lots of money each month for our phones and service, part of your obligation must be to support the phones you've sold us.  That means supporting all of the phone's features- especially basic ones like wi-fi and hotspot functionality.  It is unacceptable for you to push a buggy update to our phones that disables these features, blame Motorola, and then walk away, offering nothing more than superficial and ultimately useless "support."  If you cannot fix these problems that are 100% your fault (your push, your software), then you need to accommodate us with replacement 2nd generation Motos- without the usual two year leash.

I plan to dig out my contract and look through the small print- I'm sure I'll find that you're in violation of it.  Then, I plan to report you to consumerist.com and the Consumer Protection Agency.  It goes without saying that you've lost me as a customer and its only a matter of time until I'll be with Verizon.

I don't usually get upset with companies in this way, but Sprint's arrogance in regard to this issue is shocking.  They refuse to address the source of the problem (their buggy software update), or take responsibility for the problem.  Instead, they blame someone else (Motorola), and waste countless hours of their customers' time, sending them down rabbit holes in search of solutions that aren't there.

Goodbye and, ultimately, good riddance Sprint.

GrandMaster

how would this update fall on Sprint? they dont build out these updates. the manufacturer does. so any issues that pop up after an update like this fall back on the manufacturer to fix then push yet another update.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

and before you start foaming a the mouth over this..unless somehow Sprint snuck into Verizon and sabotaged their update as well i would say this is all on Motorola..well Lenova since they now own Motorla apparently.

i recommend hitting up the other carriers sites to see how well this update went for them..i can tell you it didnt go over to swell. nor has it worked out very well across the board with all the other manufacturers phones that got it..took a few updates to fix all those issues.

LP itself has been a train wreck of bugs and issues. the below is from Verizons Moto X forum..one of the many i just looked at about LP issues.

Moto X wifi issues

This question is Not Answered.

civwar

For about two weeks, my Moto X (bought in June 2014) has not been connecting to WiFi. The only correlation I can draw with the change in activity is this occurred after I downloaded the latest OS (Lollipop). Currently, the phone will not even turn "On" Wifi. If I hit the toggle button under "Settings," it will turn to "On" for a second or two, then go back to "Off." Previously, Wifi would turn on, but it would not connect to a network. It would be listed as "Saved" under the network and sometimes say "Network connection failure." I have tried all the obvious changes, such as powering the phone off and on, resetting the router, forgetting the network, trying different Wifi connections. Other devices connect to the Wifi without any trouble. I even tried a factory reset which was unsuccessful. The reset, however, did not take off the Lollipop upgrade. I'm at about my wit's end, so if there are any other ideas out there, I would be extremely grateful!

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

out of curiosity..how many of you running into the wifi issues also have bluetooth turned on? just read something about one affecting the other in many cases..which also came in with LP.

Journeyman

Thanks for the information.  It was my understanding Sprint (and other carriers) get the source code from Motorola, tweak it for their network and phones, and then push it out to their users.  Isn't that the way it works?  If my understanding is correct, then it seems to me it's Sprint's responsibility to fix.  However, if you say the update comes directly from Motorola and Sprint has no control over it, that shifts the burden to Motorola. 

Can you confirm this push is directly from Motorola, and Sprint is not involved?

Journeyman

I turned off Bluetooth and turned on WiFi and, within 5 seconds, my phone successfully connected to my home WiFi network for the first time since the Lollipop update!  Thank you for the information, much appreciated!

GrandMaster

yeah the basics of a OS update is this

google makes it and fires it to the manufacturers or directly to the Nexus phones since they are pure google

manufacturer sets it up for each phone that is getting it then test it..

carrier then gets it from the manufacturer and does some testing to make sure its going to still work on their network as it should..down side is they usually use a outside company to do this and they test on fully stock phones..so the odds of some of these bugs showing up are smaller.

if it doesnt pass the carriers tests then its back to the manufacturer to fix..if it passes the manufacturer is given the ok to send it out to the phones using the carriers network.

just about every manufacturer has a more direct way to get the downloads when they get released..Samsung used to use an app i guess you can call it that you load onto your computer..made by Samsung..oh yeah it was kies..then it was switched to smartswitch or something like that..now i think its back to kies3..all made by Samsung..LG has a way like this..but it comes directly from their servers. the carrier only does testing of the updates and gives the yay or nay..if a update is known to be available and its taking forever usually that means there were problems that were found and it got pushed back. LP itself has been a nightmare across the board with phones. you see very few people reporting that all was well with it.

the carrier will report all issues back to the manufacturer that are found after the update has been released and work with them on a fix..but this usually take a bit of time.

the BT deal from what i read on the Moto was when Motorola messed with it they somehow boogered it up so BT was somehow messing with WIFI at the same time..but if you ran just one or the other they worked..

Journeyman

I did the same - turned off Bluetooth, turned on WiFi, connected to my home network for the first time since I got this lovely update! So now I can connect to my Moto 360 watch, or to my WiFi, but not both! Thanks so much for the update, Android!! Thanks for the information. Glad I didn't go thru the hassle of the factory reset, since it wouldn't have worked anyway.

GrandMaster

i actually pulled that info from Verizons site lol. they are having the same problems on their side..i didnt check any of the other carriers sites since if one other has the issues then that is enough to know its not a one carrier problem. since there are usually slight differences with specific devices from carrier to carrier there is always that chance its one of those slight changes that caused it..in this case its not.

Highlighted
GrandMaster

plus both verizon and sprint are CDMA/LTE carriers..so theyre closer to each other than say sprint to att or tmo since theyre both GSM carriers.

Journeyman

Guess I'm fortunate - the update seems to have improved my Bluetooth performance, and hasn't broken wifi. Running 4.4.4 I had frequent trouble with a Garmin device not making a Bluetooth connection; haven't had a problem since the update.

One strange issue - several times I've noticed a '!' (presumably means Something Is Wrong) next to both the wifi and mobile data symbols in the quick settings view. Toggling airplane mode seems to fix it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat