Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the Moto X

Highlighted
Journeyman

Questions about the Moto X

My apologies, if my questions have already been answered somewhere else on the boards. I'm trying to decide if I should buy this phone directly from Motorolla, since it is on sale for $329.99 (16gb) off contract.

Is this truly a stock android experience with no "Sprint Zone" or other apps outside of Google?

Can you silence the camera shutter sound? I believe Sprint doesn't allow you to turn it off, so you have to root it in order to silence the camera.

Do I have to pay the $35 activation fee to get this phone turned on?

Is the camera truly horrendous at taking pics, as many people claim? Did the KitKat updates help this?

Thanks in advance for answering any and all my questions.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Questions about the Moto X

Sprint Zone is on there and cannot be removed without root, but the Sprint Music and the rest of them can be removed easily. It's basically a stock experience. I don't think you can turn off the camera sound but the quality of it has been fine for me, even in cruddier light conditions.  The camera app is now separate from the OS, so Motorola has been able to push out updates to it through the App store rather than waiting for the OS to update--smart move, other makers should follow it.  Yes, I had to pay $35 as with most any phone on Sprint I believe.

LOVE this phone. I picked it over the Nexus 5, which is also a great phone, but I like the form of the X more, I didn't need a phablet.  Assist and Active Notifications are REALLY useful.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As the previous user mentioned. Sprint Zone cannot be uninstalled and now you can swap any phone online and not you don't get the 36 dollar activation fee unless you sign up for a 2 year contract. The sound of the camera can be turned off in the camera  settings. The camera is good during the day but in low light conditions is horrible. I miss taking pictures inside venues in low light with my Galaxy Nexus.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Motorola has their apps as well. The shutter can be silenced. Pictures are decent. As for off contract depending on where you get and who from depends on if it has sprint ware in it.. It does use a Sim card just make sure you can use it on a CDMA net work. My next move is buy out contract and bye bye sprint..

Highlighted
Master

azdeviant1,

I'm sad to hear you want to leave! What's going on? I'd love to try to change your mind.

Melyssa

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Master

sal_22,

Thank you for helping out one of the other community forum members.

Just some more detial about the upgrade/activation fee.

Upgrade fee amount is $36.00 through all channels.
Additional upgrade fees are not charged for exchanges during the 14 day Sprint Satisfaction Guarantee.

Upgrade fee is charged at the point of the sale when existing customers:
Purchase a new or refurbished phone, even if they don't receive a discount or rebate, for an existing line of service in a Sprint or Sprint authorized channel
Customers using Easy Pay are assesed and Upgrade Fee.

Both activation and upgrade fee are $36.00, but Sprint charges them for different reasons.

Activation fee: Applied when a customer activates a new line of service on a new or existing account.
Upgrade fee: Applied when customer purchases a new or refurbished device for an existing line of service in a Sprint or Sprint authorized channel.
An activation and upgrade fee should never be charged for the same transaction.

Thank you,

George M.
Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am seriously considering leaving too, when my contract is up at the beginning of April. I have two lines on our company plan, which one line has a 17% discount and I still end up paying $142.xx each month. That is insane. Especially considering that the 3G and 4G speeds are ridiculously slow.

Highlighted
Master

sweatytaco,

We truly appreciate your business and don't want to see you leave! We're working really hard to deliver an exceptional experience while on our network! If your primary concern is surrounding data speed, have you heard of Sprint Spark? This is a revolutionary new data service that we're expanding! For more information please visit, www.sprint.com/spark.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

William

Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat