Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Admiral - Lack of updates - Request for unlocked bootloader & source code

Highlighted
Journeyman

Admiral - Lack of updates - Request for unlocked bootloader & source code

I posted this on the Motorola forums & was told I should post it where Sprint is more likely to see it, as they seem to have the final say. So I'll do a more or less copy & paste:

I recently saw the news, and I'm going to add my own personal disappointment, but there's nothing to be done to get Motorola to write an update.

As an alternative, I would like to request that Motorola release a user downloadable bootloader unlocker, and source code, so that the community can start work to keep the Admiral current. Specifically the CyanogenMod team.

As an essentially abandoned product, I see no harm to Motorola in doing this, and I'm not saying that the unlocker tool should be pushed to users, I'm saying it should be something that the user should have to CHOOSE to do. That way, users that do not feel the need to do so, will continue to have a pure, reliable (sort of - see my Test Message not Sent post), Admiral experience. But for the portion of users that consider themselves "power users", or "tweakers", I see this as a gratious move on Motorola's part, and would restore some of the goodwill that was lost by not providing the Admiral with even one version upgrade.

What I really fear, is that in the next 6 months, Motorola or another manufacturer, will release a portrait qwerty phone based on Android 4.0, and I'll be drawn to it, given the abandoned status of the Admiral, and I'll have to settle for a lesser keyboard, one that doesn't quite work as well, or for some other trait that I can't stand, just because of the benefits provided by ICS.

In my view, Motorola could even charge for such an unlocker. $5 and I'd buy it. And as far as the source code is concerned, and I'm not really clear on how the open source license works, but aren't all manufacturers required to release the source code for devices running Android? Either way, it seems like that would be a satisfactory compromise to this issue, and wouldn't cause any support headaches for Motorola, since anyone who chooses to run a custom rom would be aware that they're losing out on their support. Win-win. At least as far as I can see. That way, people can brag about their Motorola (advertising in action), and it doesn't cost Motorola extra money in development. (let the community do it)

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Wizard

Well, in my experience when one starts seeing a lack of updates it generally is the first symptoms of the handset going EOL.  I noticed that with my IC902, and before that my old Sanyo MM8300, so if i were a gamblin` man i`d be all in on the Admeral going EOL sometime in the not to distant feuture, like, mabey a year.  Given that there`s not been an update since PAX-79, and if i were a betting man, i`d be layin` a good bet on this unit going off into EOL-land kinda soon.  Sad, as i like this unit, but i do need to upgrade to a better one (Kyocera Toruqe ) anyway, so it`s all good.  Just my thoughts.  TK241

Highlighted
Journeyman

PRL updates are under Settings  then System Updates then Update PRL

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat