Motorola Admiral Software Update - 5.5.1Q-117-PAX-33

Motorola Admiral Software Update - 5.5.1Q-117-PAX-33

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Sprint Direct Connect button can now unmute voice calls

- Sprint Direct Connect call now beeps even when phone is on vibrate

- Sprint Direct Connect call performance improvements - faster responsiveness

after phone start up and better call performance when moving in and out of

3G network coverage or roaming

- Contact improvements, including the ability to distinguish Sprint Direct Connect contacts

- Long running applications (such as business applications) now run without interruption

(no longer asks user if they want to continue)

- Date on pictures in the Media Gallery is now correct

- Security Update

Update the software over the air:

1. At the Home screen, tap Menu, then tap Settings

2. Scroll up and tap About phone

3. Tap System Updates

4. Tap Update Motorola Firmware

5. Phone will check for updates

If there are updates available, tap Download to continue

If there are no updates available, Your device is up to date! will display; tap OK 

6. When download is complete, tap OK

7. When the Install Update screen appears, tap Install now

Note: The installation process will take approximately 7 minutes to 

complete, and your phone will be unable to make or receive calls   

during this time.

8. The phone will reboot (turn off and on) on its own

9. The message Update Status – The software update was successful! will

appear when the update is complete

Check the software version on your phone

1. At the Home screen, tap Menu, then tap Settings

2. Scroll up and tap About phone

3. Scroll up and software version is displayed under Build number

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Motorola Admiral Software Update - 5.5.1Q-117-PAX-33

Nice to hear they got the Direct Connect issues fixed .  I`ve seen the much-improved responsiveness time since the update (tried a test shortly after i did the update...quite nice).  I have a question, more out of curiousity, why did they send this a s a system update instead of a build revision (or similliar update)?  Is this just a more convienient way to accomplish updating handsets?  Still, this is really good news, and i at least can say from my experience that this `un worked .  TK241  P.S.  Little-known bit here, but i also think they fixed that naggy wifi issue i noticed (wifi losing connectivity for no apparent reason even though the unit had a strong wifi signal), if true, very nice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been running the update on my Admiral for about the past month, and it definitely seems to have fixed the Sprint Direct Connect problems.  Before the update, Direct Connect was worthless, it rarely if ever worked.  Now it works as long as I have 3G connectivity. 

New issues that I've noticed, before the update I had no problems with wifi.  Since the update I have the problem where wifi randomly disconnects.  I typically notice it when I haven't used the phone for awhile.  I'll go to use it again, unlock the screen, and wifi is not connected.  5 minutes later, it connects.  I didn't have this problem before the update, and the wifi setup at my house isn't the problem.  My wife's smartphone has no issues with the wifi in the house, and neither do the laptops and tablets.

Also, I'm not sure if the sensitivity of the "home buttons" above the keyboard got adjusted or not, but since the update I seem to accidentally hit the "home buttons" very frequently when I'm typing on the physical keyboard.  I don't recall having the issue before the update, or maybe my fingers have gotten fatter

Other than that, no changes I've noticed.

Highlighted
Wizard

citybett1 wrote:

I've been running the update on my Admiral for about the past month, and it definitely seems to have fixed the Sprint Direct Connect problems.  Before the update, Direct Connect was worthless, it rarely if ever worked.  Now it works as long as I have 3G connectivity. 

New issues that I've noticed, before the update I had no problems with wifi.  Since the update I have the problem where wifi randomly disconnects.  I typically notice it when I haven't used the phone for awhile.  I'll go to use it again, unlock the screen, and wifi is not connected.  5 minutes later, it connects.  I didn't have this problem before the update, and the wifi setup at my house isn't the problem.  My wife's smartphone has no issues with the wifi in the house, and neither do the laptops and tablets.

Also, I'm not sure if the sensitivity of the "home buttons" above the keyboard got adjusted or not, but since the update I seem to accidentally hit the "home buttons" very frequently when I'm typing on the physical keyboard.  I don't recall having the issue before the update, or maybe my fingers have gotten fatter

Other than that, no changes I've noticed.

hey there, i also have been running the update on my Admeral for a while now too, and the wifi issue was there before the update, i`d hoped they wouldda fixed it with this update but they didn`t i guess.  Anyway, yes, the Direct Connect does work much better since this update, now when i transition from a roamming, or even a no service area it comes up much faster than before.  As to the wifi issue, i also have the same problem, wifi will disconnect on it`s own randomly, then reconnect a while later.  Workaround i`ve found for this is to turn off wifi, then turn it back on after a few secones (let the handset reaffilleate with the network, then turn wifi back on and let it reconnect, it will work properly for a while till it randomly disconnects again, another issue i`ve had (again, this was before the update), is wifi appears to be connected, but when ya launch an app or browser session, the app or browser just hangs (apps will return an error after a few secones, "problem reciving data, please try again later," browser will just "hang" and do nothing, switching to system data then back to wifi as described before is workaround).  I hope this will be fixed with the next maintainence update, which i hope will be soon (trying to be patient ).  Let`s hope they can fix this, as this unit IMHO has much potential, but if this isn`t fixed, that potential will be lowered drastically i`m afraid.  TK241.  P.S.  I`ll be sending ya a pm in a short on this too, just some thoughts for ya.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, it would be nice to have reliable wifi, but the one other problem with the Admiral I am still having before and after the upgrade is with the speakerphone.  The caller on the other end gets a loud echo of their own voice when I use the speakerphone, even at the lowest volume setting.  I've pretty much given up on the speakerphone, when talking to my wife for instance she says she can hear her own voice louder than mine

Highlighted
Wizard

citybett1 wrote:

Yeah, it would be nice to have reliable wifi, but the one other problem with the Admiral I am still having before and after the upgrade is with the speakerphone.  The caller on the other end gets a loud echo of their own voice when I use the speakerphone, even at the lowest volume setting.  I've pretty much given up on the speakerphone, when talking to my wife for instance she says she can hear her own voice louder than mine

Question for ya, does the echo happen when you`re just using the earpice on a high volume?  I`ve heard this in the past with other handsets i`ve had, and it was determined to be a network thingy (i sent ya my DC number, just hunt me up and i`ll explain it a bit more ), basically it`s the network not keeping up with the voice stream (there`s a delay between you and the other end that may cause this, normally ya won`t hear it, but sometimes ya do).  It`s anoying to be sure, and there`s not any workaround to that unfortunately.  Now as to the wifi thingy, i`ve said my peace in my pm to ya with my DC info, suffice it to say that patience may be the best thing here, if they hold to form there`ll be a mantainence update later on this year, we`ll have to see.  TK241

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello, I just reluctantly ordered an admiral to replace my i1. My question is , once I receive it will I have to update it or will it be shipped good to go? My other concern is international DC. I have already seen someone place a DC call to Mexico from an admiral and it worked just fine. But will the admiral work if I'm in Mexico?

Highlighted
Journeyman

TK241 wrote:

Question for ya, does the echo happen when you`re just using the earpice on a high volume?  I`ve heard this in the past with other handsets i`ve had, and it was determined to be a network thingy basically it`s the network not keeping up with the voice stream.

Glad you asked the question.  Yes, the person on the other end of my call does get the echo on the earpiece when it's turned up to high volume, in addition to when I use the speakerphone.  Good to know it's probably not the phone that is the problem, thanks for the info!  Sprint has a bunch of voice upgrades scheduled for their towers locally here in the near future so I'll see if the speakerphone echo issue goes away once those are installed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

papi118 wrote:

Hello, I just reluctantly ordered an admiral to replace my i1. My question is , once I receive it will I have to update it or will it be shipped good to go? My other concern is international DC. I have already seen someone place a DC call to Mexico from an admiral and it worked just fine. But will the admiral work if I'm in Mexico?

Hi papi118, I would have the phone check for an update when you receive it.  Or you can look to see what version it's running by going into Settings->AboutPhone once you get it working.  If it's not running the latest version definitely update it. 

As for the question about it working in Mexico, the Admiral uses Sprint's CDMA network, so if you have coverage in Mexico it may work, the post referenced below mentions international direct connect being enabled in April sometime, but you'll be subject to international roaming data charges.  The Sprint Direct Connect uses the Sprint 3G network The following post details more information about it.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/87179

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am having a bear of a time with direct connect.  I had to get a replacement phone through the sprint insurance program and ever since the phone was replaced direct connect will not work.  I  walked into the sprint store with the damaged phone and the new phone, they did the swap and direct connect no longer works.   I am hoping someone may be able to provide some assistance.

On the status bar there is the direct connect symbol with a red circle/slash through it ever since the swap occurred.  When I do press the direct connect button I get a "please wait for Direct Connect set-up to complete before attempting a DC call" error.  Other phones on my account (they are older phones) work with DC - but not to my phone. 

I do have direct connect turned on under settings.

My profile has allegedly been updated.

My "build number" on the phone in settings, about phone, build number matches that listed in the first post of this thread (although I just noticed there is an underscore in mine before PAX as opposed to a dash, but the phone says it is up to date when I try to update it).

My PRL has supposedly been updated.

Sprint has supposedly "reprovisioned" my phone which didn't fix it - I have no idea what that means regardless.

I say my profile and PRL have supposedly been updated b/c when I do a *2 dial on my phone after i have updated the profile and PRL,  it still says a profile update is available and a coverage update is available.

I do have an open ticket with sprint regarding this, but they don't seem to be able to fix it.

I have been wondering if there was a software difference between the new and old phones that was causing the issue and now I find this thread which says that there is a software difference, but it is supposedly an improvement.  I also am wondering if the insurance company phones are different than the sprint provided phones.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi there, well I've had my admiral for about 3 to 4 weeks now and it is a much better smartphone than my i1 but the direct connect isn't as reliable as it was on the nextel network. I do have the latest software updates so hopefully as sprint continues to upgrade it's network the direct connect will improve.

How is it working for you?

Thanks

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat