Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Admiral Software Update - 5.5.1Q-117-PAX-33

Wizard

Enhancements/Fixes:

- Sprint Direct Connect button can now unmute voice calls

- Sprint Direct Connect call now beeps even when phone is on vibrate

- Sprint Direct Connect call performance improvements - faster responsiveness

after phone start up and better call performance when moving in and out of

3G network coverage or roaming

- Contact improvements, including the ability to distinguish Sprint Direct Connect contacts

- Long running applications (such as business applications) now run without interruption

(no longer asks user if they want to continue)

- Date on pictures in the Media Gallery is now correct

- Security Update

Update the software over the air:

1. At the Home screen, tap Menu, then tap Settings

2. Scroll up and tap About phone

3. Tap System Updates

4. Tap Update Motorola Firmware

5. Phone will check for updates

If there are updates available, tap Download to continue

If there are no updates available, Your device is up to date! will display; tap OK 

6. When download is complete, tap OK

7. When the Install Update screen appears, tap Install now

Note: The installation process will take approximately 7 minutes to 

complete, and your phone will be unable to make or receive calls   

during this time.

8. The phone will reboot (turn off and on) on its own

9. The message Update Status – The software update was successful! will

appear when the update is complete

Check the software version on your phone

1. At the Home screen, tap Menu, then tap Settings

2. Scroll up and tap About phone

3. Scroll up and software version is displayed under Build number

18 REPLIES 18
Journeyman

I had a CS rep tell me today that there was another software update coming soon. My email inadvertantly shuts down, as well as not being able to direct connect my other Admiral phones. I get a message that says that "Direct Connect is Unavailable. Please Try a Voice Call". Voice calls will not work,either. I was assured these problems will be fixed whenever the update becomes available.I just wish I knew of the issues before I bought these phones. As much as we rely on Direct Connect, it might be time to just accept that we will now have to rely on phone calls instead. If the email continues to fail, we will be switching to IPhones, and take the hit on the ETF's. It is just costing us too much not having the dependability we had with our 8350I's.

Journeyman

I don't have any problem with my Motorola Admiral, as a matter of fact the DC works very well here in San Diego, Ca and I use my DC daily and call NII Nextels w/IDEN down in Mexico City, Tijuana, Mexicali and even Playa del Carmen!!  They work just as good as my old Nextel.  I actually love the how "User Busy In Direct Connect" with other SDC doesn't exist anymore.  When I'm talking to someone on PTT I can get a PTT call waiting from someone else unlike the old IDEN Nextel you wouldn't be able to have that feature.  As for my emails, I have 4 email accts on my Admiral and they work just great!!!  I'm sending and receiving emails all day with no problem.  The only issue still is that you aren't able to roam in Mexico yet but come September, it seems like everything is going to change as NII Holdings will be implementing the new 3G Network in Mexico as well and will be co-operable with Sprint 3G meaning we'll be able to roam down in Mexico and place PTT calls just like before.  NII Holdings (Nextel Latin America) is also deploying the same system with their PTT phones and leaving the old 2G network and into the new 3G Network just like Sprint Nextel as you all know, Sprint Nextel is the Parent Company of NII Holdings (Nextel Latin America) so they're using the same system obviously. 

I recommend everyone out there to just wait a bit as the system will be getting tuned up and the service I believe will be much better than before for both Sprint Direct Connect and Nextel Direct Connect (Mexico).

Last, does anyone know when the NEW software update for the Motorola Admiral will be launched so we're able to usd SDC while roaming and 1xRTT networks??  I know the Kyocera phones have been updated...

Journeyman

Hello tititron, what do you know about using some of the other DC features, such as sharing contact info or pictures via DC. I haven't been able to figure it out on my admiral.

Wizard

tititron wrote:

I don't have any problem with my Motorola Admiral, as a matter of fact the DC works very well here in San Diego, Ca and I use my DC daily and call NII Nextels w/IDEN down in Mexico City, Tijuana, Mexicali and even Playa del Carmen!!  They work just as good as my old Nextel.  I actually love the how "User Busy In Direct Connect" with other SDC doesn't exist anymore.  When I'm talking to someone on PTT I can get a PTT call waiting from someone else unlike the old IDEN Nextel you wouldn't be able to have that feature.  As for my emails, I have 4 email accts on my Admiral and they work just great!!!  I'm sending and receiving emails all day with no problem.  The only issue still is that you aren't able to roam in Mexico yet but come September, it seems like everything is going to change as NII Holdings will be implementing the new 3G Network in Mexico as well and will be co-operable with Sprint 3G meaning we'll be able to roam down in Mexico and place PTT calls just like before.  NII Holdings (Nextel Latin America) is also deploying the same system with their PTT phones and leaving the old 2G network and into the new 3G Network just like Sprint Nextel as you all know, Sprint Nextel is the Parent Company of NII Holdings (Nextel Latin America) so they're using the same system obviously. 

I recommend everyone out there to just wait a bit as the system will be getting tuned up and the service I believe will be much better than before for both Sprint Direct Connect and Nextel Direct Connect (Mexico).

Last, does anyone know when the NEW software update for the Motorola Admiral will be launched so we're able to usd SDC while roaming and 1xRTT networks??  I know the Kyocera phones have been updated...

Hey there, i too have been asking that same question, last i read on phonescoop.com they were saying the update would be rolled out on the 18TH of June (it`s now the 11TH of July, so it`s been a while since this info was first put out there).  Checked again today after returning from a vacation up north (blissfully free of the flooding that went on a ways farther north ) and still no update, so now i`m starting to wonder, will the Admeral really get the update or was this in error and it now won`t?  I`ll be curious to know.  TK241.

Journeyman

Hi,

Do you know when will get the NEW software upgrade for the Motorola Admiral that is supposed to enable the use of 1xRTT and Domestic Roaming?  The Kyocera devices have already received the software 2 weeks ago but still no sign of any change with the Admiral.  Can you please advise on this.  Thanks!

Wizard

tititron wrote:

Hi,

Do you know when will get the NEW software upgrade for the Motorola Admiral that is supposed to enable the use of 1xRTT and Domestic Roaming?  The Kyocera devices have already received the software 2 weeks ago but still no sign of any change with the Admiral.  Can you please advise on this.  Thanks!

Hey there, as i said in my post above, i`ve been asking the same thingy, so don`t feel bad, as i`m wondering too.  I now i`m probably gonna sound the cynic, but i`m comming to two possible guesses for this, one, Sprint has decided to (very) quietly EOL (End Of Life) the Admeral in favor of streight feature phones, which i believe would be a weak move, as the Admeral just has way too much potential and IMO a goodly number of users want a smartphone instead of a streight feature unit, or two (my more hopeful guess ), they simply haven`t gotten around to rolling out the update for the Admeral yet.  Guess we`ll have to see which one comes out as correct.  TK241

Journeyman

It looks like we're finally getting the software upgrade for the Motorola Admiral.  Here is the link.....

http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/google/android/sprints-motorola-admiral-receiving-direct-conn...

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat