cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate a USED Moto X Pure Edition?

Journeyman

Activate a USED Moto X Pure Edition?

Has anyone been able to activate a USED Moto X Pure Edition Android phone that was previously used on a non-Sprint network? I purchased a used Moto X Pure for my son, and this has been a real headache. First we went to a local Sprint store for a SIM card, but they didn't have any in stock. Then I chatted online with a Sprint rep, who had a new SIM shipped to me within a few days (thanks Sprint!).  When I tried to activate the phone, I got a message that the serial number was invalid.

The previous owner used the phone on a different carrier (T-Mo, I think). He purchased it from Amazon and has the receipt. He did a factory reset before selling it to me. I thought that the Moto X Pure was transferrable from one carrier to another, and that all you had to do was have the seller do a reset, then put in a SIM card from the new carrier. Am I missing something?

The phone is working fine, but we can't activate it due to the invalid serial number. I used wifi and updated the phone to Marshmallow. My son logged into the phone with his Google credentials and it downloaded his apps and settings. I tried the online help chat, but was told that it could take up to 30 days to process a ticket, so I am going to take the phone to a Sprint store in a few days. I thought it would be helpful to start a discussion on this in case others run into this situation in the future.

4 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Activate a USED Moto X Pure Edition?

To clarify, when I enter the IMEI number, that triggers the invalid serial number message.

Journeyman

UPDATE - I finally got the used Moto X Pure Edition phone to activate on the Sprint web site. It was previously used on Verizon (not T-Mo as I said above). Devices that are shipped to Verizon customers have a 15-digit device ID (IMEI) printed on the label, but Sprint only uses the first 14 digits for their MEID. I was able to activate the phone by dropping the last digit that was printed on the Verizon label.

Steps you must take when selling or purchasing a used Moto X Pure Edition:

1. Make sure the seller's Google account has been removed from the phone. Otherwise you will get a message "This device was reset. To continue, sign in with a Google account that was previously synced on this device". Doing a factory reset by holding the power button and the volume down button does NOT remove the seller's Google account. This is a security feature to prevent thieves from doing a reset and putting in a new SIM. Instead, the seller should log into the phone, then go into Settings > Backup and Reset and do a Factory Data Reset. (note - some recommend encrypting the phone before doing the reset).

2. SIM card: the Moto X Pure needs a nano SIM from Sprint, and these can be hard to get. The SIM card from my son's old phone was not compatible, and the local Sprint store did not have any available. I used the Help Chat on the Sprint website to request a new one. The helpful rep had one shipped to me in a couple of days for free.

3. Activation: Make sure you put in a 14-digit device code :-)

Master

Good information, thanks for sharing for the folks that have interest in this phone. And glad to see that you were able to get it taken care of.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I'm having a miserable time even getting one activated at all!

I bought one at launch, and managed to get it activated after a few days. Sadly, I ran into mechanical problems with it, and obtained a warranty replacement from Motorola. The MEID (IMEI, minus the last digit) is not in Sprint's database. I have not yet found a way to reach anyone who has the power to add it to the database.

So here I am, stuck with a phone I can't use on Sprint. Rather than sit without a phone for an unknown amount of time (while they presumably get this figured out), I purchased a prepaid SIM from a competitor. Phone lit up right away. Depending on the quality of their service, I may port over to them permanently. After 16 years with Sprint, I'd rather not do that, but Sprint seem to not be in a position (or simply not willing) to fully embrace BYOD. I won't go into a lease or an installment plan for an overpriced Samsung or Apple device. If that's the only option they'll give me, then I'm afraid this is the end.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat