cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android-based IDEN Phone ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android-based IDEN Phone ?

Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere, but I found this article and it was the first I've heard of it. Thought I'd pass it along.......................

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/29/motorola-plans-for-first-android-based-iden-phone-on-2010/

Von

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Android-based IDEN Phone ?

NICE find. I wonder though, why would Sprint bother to petition Motorola to use Android for iDEN?!? It would make far more sense to use...unless... Hmmm.

I wonder. Given that Google has created Android, and Motorola has created iDEN...and both are heavy investors in WiMAX technology (either for funding the network, or providing the hardware)...perhaps this is the beginning move to mate iDEN with WiMAX?!? Granted, that's probably the last thing that this management team is thinking, but if it is...then honestly, I'm shocked and impressed (assuming it works obviously), and my hat's off to management. Dare I say, this would be one shrewdly brilliant move (most assuredly NOT boneheaded). Alas, time will tell.

I only hope my hunch is right.

EDIT: Added the addendum below.

Addendum: Hmmm...it seems perhaps I posted too soon. It looks like it isn't being hatched by Sprint management. Instead, it's Israel's MIRS network that is going to adopt the new iDEN/Android phone. Ah well...so much for thinking that Sprint management had made a shrewdly brilliant move. Anyhow, so much for us getting Opus 1.

Message Edited by quasijedi on 07-12-2009 08:47 PM

Journeyman

I honestly believe this is a stepping stone for a IDEN/WiMax phone. The article, though short and not very specific, did mention that the IDEN side would be for voice only and all data would be through Wifi. Needless to say, that wouldn't cut in the States right now, where data has become almost as important as call quality. It would, however, make sense here if it was used in Wimax markets where the Data would be covered without carrying a Mifi around with you at all times.

Plus, Mirs has under a million subscribers (outside of the military issued devices), Motorola may be using it as a semi-beta test.

I'll not let the fact that, as of now, Sprint isn't involved in the project bother me to much. Motorola's IDEN money market is the United States, and you can bet your last last nickel that if they make it work with Mirs, they will try like heck to convince Sprint/Nextel to give it a shot here.

Von

@V_Sprad wrote:

I honestly believe this is a stepping stone for a IDEN/WiMax phone.

Motorola may be using it as a semi-beta test.

I'll not let the fact that, as of now, Sprint isn't involved in the project bother me to much. Motorola's IDEN money market is the United States, and you can bet your last last nickel that if they make it work with Mirs, they will try like heck to convince Sprint/Nextel to give it a shot here.

Von

I sure hope you're right. However, given Sprint's history of completely screwing over iDEN users, I remain extremely skeptical. After all, Motorola developed "Harmony" long before Sprint decided to adopt WiMAX, and yet...Sprint insists that Motorola make a CDMA/WiMAX handset instead of an iDEN/WiMAX one. Very disconcerting to say the least...at least if you ask me that is.

Journeyman

@V_Sprad wrote:

Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere, but I found this article and it was the first I've heard of it. Thought I'd pass it along.......................

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/06/29/motorola-plans-for-first-android-based-iden-phone-on-2010/

Von

I wonder if it is a software controlled radio that can easily be configured for different RF technologies and frequencies, or if it is a "conventional"handset withhardware chips for bothiDEN& WiMax and running Android OS instead of Moto's OS...

- RJB

@Nxtl4me wrote:
I wonder if it is a software controlled radio that can easily be configured for different RF technologies and frequencies, or if it is a "conventional"handset withhardware chips for bothiDEN& WiMax and running Android OS instead of Moto's OS...

- RJB

RJB, I think you meant iDEN and WiFi, not iDEN and WiMAX since the Android-based iDEN that they're talking about has WiFi, not WiMAX.

Journeyman

Right. But regardless of WiFi or WiMax, is there is any chance it is a software-controlled radio,not based on dedicated chips for the separate RF sections but a genuine SCR device? Just wondering.

Journeyman

@Nxtl4me wrote:

Right. But regardless of WiFi or WiMax, is there is any chance it is a software-controlled radio,not based on dedicated chips for the separate RF sections but a genuine SCR device? Just wondering.

Just wondering Nextl................ Has Motorola ever made a genuine SCR device for any Network anywhere, or did you just think of that idea on your own? I makes perfect sense to try for an IDEN based phone in the US.

Von

Hmmm...I haven't read anything that says that it is a SCR device, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if it ended up being one. But if I had to bet on it, I'd say it isn't. The phone (from what very precious little that I've seen) is really just as bulky as any other iDEN device. So, because of the heft, I'd say that there is no software modulation, and it's all done via hardware.

Journeyman

@V_Sprad wrote:

Just wondering Nextl................ Has Motorola ever made a genuine SCR device for any Network anywhere, or did you just think of that idea on your own? I makes perfect sense to try for an IDEN based phone in the US.

Von

I was just speculating & wondering if they might try an SCR, given that they need more and more flexibility to be able to access multiple networks in a given phone (iDEN, GSM, CDMA, WiFi, WiMax, LTE, etc), and the fact that they are co-developing with Mirs (Israel) made me wonder if they might try to design the most flexible unit they could. Sheer speculation, no fact that I know of, and I don't know if Moto has ever produced an SCR device or not, but I have never heard of one.

- Nxtl4me

Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

Saw this artical today talking about this exact subject........fingers crossed.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2350949,00.asp

Message was edited by: MDG

Journeyman

Very interesting article, but... why would Moto bet their future on legacy & expensive smartphones?

With our new minimum wage, hamburger flipping, Walmart, Toyota economy, I would think that pre-paid is the future.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat