cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android-based IDEN Phone ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Android-based IDEN Phone ?

BeerNuts:  I don't really understand how you would say your last two points together as they almost contradict each other.  Boost (Sprint's prepaid unit) operates primarily on iDEN so the hamberger flipping/prepaid bit does work with iDEN just fine.

iDEN is also very cheap and easily deployed by providers so who knows what the future holds.  For instance, Canada just brought a new iDEN carrier to the table recently now as well.  iDEN is NOT legacy.

Thinking of it like this may help:

CDMA is for all intents and purposes used for voice and would be considered "legacy" for data on Sprint

EVDO is used for "next(current) generation" data services on Sprint

iDEN (without its native enhancements disabled by Sprint) is used for voice/interconnect, dispatch and light data on NEXTEL

WiMAX (forthcoming in dual mode iDEN/WiMAX) will be much as EVDO is to CDMA with next generation data services on NEXEL and Sprint

WiFi (ie: BlackBerry 8350i and likely future iDEN smartphones) is a great stopgap for those of us needing WiMAX speeds now on NEXTEL

iDEN is just another mobile technology, that happens to offer features not replicated on other networks and many of us prefer to use this technology.  It is not legacy by any means.  In fact it is growing and being actively developed and supported by its created, Motorola, again whom we also like using technologies from.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Pre-paid works just fine under many platforms. Sprint's Boost w/iDEN and AT&T's Go Phone w/GSM are two examples. Oops! I didn't mention the Cricket ghetto phone.

Either way, pre-paid to me is the future in our ever worsening, service oriented economy. Even though I liked my RAZR, i580 & V950, Motorola ia in fact one of the worst managed corporations in America. This same corporation thinks expensive smartphones are the future. They road the RAZR models to death while other companies were making cheaper RAZR clones, PDAs and smartphones.

Like it or not our economy will never be what is was when it was based on high paying, manufacturing jobs for the unskilled worker just getting out of high school or the military. Let's see, that's 80% of our workforce! It is now a service based, minimum wage economy like many 3rd world countries where pre-paid is the norm.

My brother tried to explain to me 30 years ago that "it's a global economy now." This is not a recession. This is the reality of after 30 years of Americans not investing in themselves so place your bets on pre-paid.

Highlighted
Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

Smart phones are the fastest growing segment of all phone sales. The carriers are getting better at bringing out both entry level (cheaper) smart phones/PDA's along with the higher end. There will always be people who only want or need a basic flip or candy bar phone, but any handset maker that is not actively involved in the smart phone business is seriously missing the boat.

Journeyman

MDG wrote:

Saw this artical today talking about this exact subject........fingers crossed.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2350949,00.asp

Message was edited by: MDG

Thanks for the article. 

I usually believe what Motorola puts out there because 9 times out of 10 they follow through with things.  Heres hoping they remember their beloved IDEN network.

Von

Highlighted

V_Sprad wrote:

MDG wrote:

Thanks for the article.

I usually believe what Motorola puts out there because 9 times out of 10 they follow through with things.  Heres hoping they remember their beloved IDEN network.

Von

Von, I think it has less to do with Motorola remembering iDEN since Motorola still does business with MIRS as well as MIKE, and of course NII Holdings.  So, Motorola will keep their eye on the ball there.

However, the REAL question is.....  Will Sprint allow Motorola to help their iDEN brethren by adopting cooler new phones, and do so faster?  THAT is the question...at least if you ask me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

quasijedi wrote:

V_Sprad wrote:

MDG wrote:

Thanks for the article.

Von

Von, I think it has less to do with Motorola remembering iDEN since Motorola still does business with MIRS as well as MIKE, and of course NII Holdings.  So, Motorola will keep their eye on the ball there.

However, the REAL question is.....  Will Sprint allow Motorola to help their iDEN brethren by adopting cooler new phones, and do so faster?  THAT is the question...at least if you ask me.

If Sprint can change the Nextel brand to be more like Boost & Sprint, I think they can see more new customers at the horizon.

Or even Sprint can  get a similar Droid phone with PTT, that would be great.

Highlighted

Sprint has the Hero...which they aren't advertising at all whatsoever.

The point is Sprint needs to actually get an Android (or DROID, if you will) based iDEN phone for Nextel folks.  Period.  Equip it with WiFi to start.  Then allow for iDEN/WiFi/WiMAX.  That and advertise/market Nextel as a true brand...not as merely a service.

Personally, based on what little I've heard from Google (err...my Godbrother who works there that is), an Android-based iDEN phone can and does work well on iDEN, but it has a more user friendly graphical user interface.  So, performance for voice and PTT isn't compromised, but data supposedly is still whoafully slow (gee...ya think? ).  He wasn't aware of WiDEN though, so he said that could allow Android to boost data speeds a bit and actually deliver CDMA rev 0-like service over iDEN.  Somehow, I doubt that one, but hey...if 1xrtt speed (which is what WiDEN is essentially) is offered, then why not allow it?  Sprint continues to drop the ball.

Ah well...anyhow...let's see some more Nextel phones, shall we?  I mean, how about releasing the DROID iDEN phone as a Nextel only offering (aka NOT TO BOOST)?  Or would that be merely wishful thinking/dreaming on my end?

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK, a Moto iDEN DC phone based on Android, with WiFi added for data for the near future, and eventually migrating the WiFi to be WiMax or LTE starting a few years from now. Now THAT makes sense to me.

Even though I love my i580 and I am happy to be month-to-month with both of my Nextel lines right now, I might just re-up if I could get a Moto iDEN DC Android with WiFi and/or WiMax.

BTW, assuming that in two years Moto makes an Android + iDEN PTT + LTE phone, and once Verizon and ATT get their LTE rolled out, is there any reason that I couldn't keep my iDEN PTT plan with Sprint-Nextel, and have another plan with VZ or ATT for LTE data only? With the two separate chipsets in a given phone, why can't the carriers let me choose voice and/or PTT from whoever I want, and separately choose mobile broadband/data from whoever I want?

I'm just sayin'...

- Nxtl4me

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat