cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data charges???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Data charges???

How do I know if I am incurring data charges for anything on my i776w phone.  I have the everything messaging 1500 plan so that my son can text, however, I don't want to incur data charges.  For example, can we use the java app for the NASCAR Sprint Cup or the TelNav 3.8.  Our phone come loaded with these apps, but I don't want to use them if they will cost extra.  Also, when I click on the Net icon in the menu, there are things for News, Sports, ect.  Do I get charged for looking through these?  PLEASE HELP!  I really want to get the full usage of my phones plan.

4 REPLIES 4
Master

Re: Data charges???

The only thing that will not incur data charges is using the texting app, You can send and receive regular text, Picture mail, and video messaging. If sent and received thru the picmail app. DO NOT use any of the installed apps, Nascar, Telenav, Web, News, Sports. And some games connect to the Internet. If you have already clicked on the Net app you might have already incurred some data charges. You can monitor your usage from your online account at sprint.com.

Everything Messaging Family

Sprint Premier qualifying plan: This plan qualifies you for perks like upgrade benefits beginning at 12 months of service for the primary line, anniversary gifts, six-month plan check-ups, and "just because" extras. Learn more at sprint.com/premier.
Messaging: Unlimited nationwide, text, picture and video messaging to anyone on any network.
Talk:Nights, Mon - Thurs. 7 p.m. - 7 a.m.; Weekends, Fri. 7 p.m. - Mon. 7 a.m.
Direct Connect® and Group Connect ® : Unlimited instant connections, nationwide and at the push of a button. Group Connect is limited to 20 participants on the same network.
Mobile to Mobile:Minutes may be used when directly dialing to or receiving calls from any other Sprint and Nextel devices (excludes roaming, voicemail, 411 and other indirect methods

Journeyman

How soon will the data usage fees show up on the online account?  I got on those roughly two and a half weeks ago and no data usage charges are showing up.  It's just showing the $2.53 charge for a ringtone that my son downloaded.

Master

I suggest calling in and having "Premium Text Messaging" blocked on your sons account to stop him from purchasing those. What appears to be a one time purchase for a ringtone could result in entering a subscription which charges $9.99 p/m. Downloading ringtones results in data charges. So the ringtone he paid for, Depending on the size will incur from $4.50 to $7.50+ in data charges on top of the price of the ringtone. Usually data charges show anywhere from a couple of hours to 48 hours. Being as it is a new account change it is most likely not accurate on what is being used, It will however start being accurate after the next billing period. I would nip it in the bud now so as not to be surprised when you get your bill.

If you let me know what phone he has I can help you figure out how he can get ringtones free, Downloaded to a PC and transferred to his phone using USB.

Journeyman

No, please don't get me wrong.  I was fully aware that my son was doing this.  He doesn't do anything without clearing with me first ()fortunately).  I was sitting right there with him.  I was just hoping that it would alert me on the phone that I was getting charged for data.  I told him we would use this as a test and that we would wait a while and see if we end up getting hit with data charges.  We are on the Nextel side of things and I had one gentleman say that Nextel doesn't charge data charges for downloading ringtones.  However, I have chatted witht the Sprint Customer Service online and they said that exact opposite.  I'm so confused!

I think that I'm just going to chill on everything until I get my next bill and see what is on it.  Surely if I had incurred any data charges it would be on the next bill?!?

He and I have a motorola i776 and i776w.  How do we go about getting free ringtones for these phones?  I have the USB cord already.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat