cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a i850....want to purchase a blackberry

Journeyman

Have a i850....want to purchase a blackberry

Hi, I have a Nextel and was thinking about purchasing a used Blackberry. Is this possible? And if so, what should I do when I purchase it? Any help would be great.

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Have a i850....want to purchase a blackberry

Yes, you can do this. Nextel only supports blackberry 8520 and 7100i, so you'll need one of those. eBay is fine, but make sure it's for Nextel. Before you buy it, get the unit's IMEI number and call Nextel to make sure the unit isn't stolen.

Once you get it, you should be able to just pop in your SIM card. You'll have to call Nextel and add the blackberry data plan, its like 30-40/mo for unlimited data.

Journeyman

Once i get it, would i have to activate it? Or would it come activated once i pop in my sim card?? Another thing, would the blackberry charge be on top of what we are already paying per month??

Journeyman

you would need to activate it yourself and you can do that by calling cust care at 1800-639-6111 you must call from a deferent phone or we wouldn't be able to swap it for you. and for the bkb plan you would be paying extra for that so on top of everything else you'd have to pay for the email and web plan for your blackberry. the pricing range from 39.99 to 49.99. you MUST have a plan for the email or web when you have a blackberry, the system would automatically put one on for you within 30 days if you don't.

Journeyman

ASleeman24 wrote: Hi, I have a Nextel and was thinking about purchasing a used Blackberry. Is this possible? And if so, what should I do when I purchase it? Any help would be great.
Do you want the blackberry for the PDA function ? The mandatory Blackberry Data plan is on top of whatever minute plan you have and I think it's a little steep. Take a good look at the 1930 if you want some type of mobile office. The (optional) data plan is only 10.00 a month.

Journeyman

hey here's a question though, I have a bunch of customers coming in with the BB's and they don't have the BB data. They have just the basic internet pack. How is that possible? I'm told that you HAVE to have the BB data and that I HAVE to tell my customers that but, when these people come in, it gets me all crazy cuz I don't know how it is done. Someone tell me.

Journeyman

p.s. the i930 is a hunk of junk and you shouldn't waste your money or your time.

Journeyman

there are cases like that, but thats just because the agent how as handled the call either wasn't informed and thought they could handle it them selfs or the cust put up a fight about adding a extra 40.00 to there bill each month... i'm not sure why its there but it is sprint together with nextels policy that if there is a bb unit active on a ptn that it has to have a bb email and web plan. so maybe they were luck i'm not sure but can assure you there probably not getting there emails.

@Chipples wrote:
p.s. the i930 is a hunk of junk and you shouldn't waste your money or your time.

Sounds to me like Microsoft and Nextel don't mix well...if at all. What I find interesting is that most of the new smartphones that have Microsoft Mobile Windows installed have either 5.0 or 6.0 versions, and I know that 5.0 equipped phones can upgrade to the 6.0 version (for a price).

The irony is that 5.0 was available when Nextel released the i930, but the phone got saddled with Mobile Windows 3.0 instead. Now, granted 5.0 sucks, but 3.0 is 100x worse. So why anyone opted to grab an i930 when they could have gotten a Blackberry i7100 is beyond me...unless they really needed that "WORLD PHONE" mystique. Plus, the camera was junk too.

Still, with that said, I know people who have been able to port Mobile Windows 6.0 onto the i930, but the phone tends to crash due to its own limited RAM. So much for upgrading, eh?

Dejan

Journeyman

i would suggest purchasing a new blackberry from sprint. we still sell the 7100i. the problem with putting the i850 sim in the phone is some of the data services won't work because the sim is too new. you need one that ends in 310 not 330 like the i850 has. the 7100i only requires a 64k sim. it is best to just get the phone from us if you're eligible for upgrade. then keep in mind you must (per rim the maker of the blackberry) have a data plan. you can get unlimited for $39.99 per month.

Journeyman new
Journeyman

jessykahlynn wrote:
keep in mind you must (per rim the maker of the blackberry) have a data plan. you can get unlimited for $39.99 per month.

Not anymore! You can have a BB without a BB plan. However be careful because high data charges can easily occur. Too many buttons to play around with on those Blackberries.

Journeyman

What in the heck are you talking about, your post makes ZERO sense?

#WelcomeToTheNowNetwork
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat