Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IC902 Group Connect Problem

Go to solution
Highlighted
Patron

IC902 Group Connect Problem

ok life story:

i seem to be having a problem no one can figure out as of yet. i recently got an ic902 and added the unlimited dc. i got the phone and added the services on 2/20. i have not yet had my group connect work. i am trying to do this with a friend that has a i580 on nextel, one that has an i870 on boost, and a friend that has a v950 on spint. everyone can participate but me. when we connect everyone, incuding the v950,will show up with a green check mark next to their name. i show up with a red x. everyone can talk and my phone doesn't even know it's going on. when i try to initiate the group connect my phone pops up a message that says no service.

i have now spent many hours on the phone with various csr's, tech support, and advanced tech support. apparently alot of people do now know about group connect because everyone at first tells me it can't be done because everyone is on a different account. they are referring to talkgroup on this matter where everyone is on a business account. group connect is done by selecting the dc contacts you want to include and pushing the walkie-talkie button. everyone has the option to join the group and talk, everyone but me.

we have reset the service, reset the phone, gone in the same circle over and over and over until i get disconnected and i give up. i have posted this in other forums with no ideas on whats going on, and have now resorted to emails with sprint hoping my emails won't get disconnected after 2 hours.

i took it to a local repair shop who spent about half an hour on the phone with advanced tech before being told that there was a nationwide outage ongrouptalk for all hybrid phones. an outage since feb. 25th. ihave not found anyone else with a hybrid who saysthey have issues with grouptalk. when i spoke with sprint today i was told there are no current outages that would affect me.

my direct connect works fine, just the group talk that give me a no service error.

does anyone have any idea what to try next?

Message Edited by hamagc on 03-10-2009 08:57 PM

7 REPLIES 7
Wizard

Re: IC902 Group Connect Problem

@hamagc wrote:

ok life story:

i seem to be having a problem no one can figure out as of yet. i recently got an ic902 and added the unlimited dc. i got the phone and added the services on 2/20. i have not yet had my group connect work. i am trying to do this with a friend that has a i580 on nextel, one that has an i870 on boost, and a friend that has a v950 on spint. everyone can participate but me. when we connect everyone, incuding the v950,will show up with a green check mark next to their name. i show up with a red x. everyone can talk and my phone doesn't even know it's going on. when i try to initiate the group connect my phone pops up a message that says no service.

i have now spent many hours on the phone with various csr's, tech support, and advanced tech support. apparently alot of people do now know about group connect because everyone at first tells me it can't be done because everyone is on a different account. they are referring to talkgroup on this matter where everyone is on a business account. group connect is done by selecting the dc contacts you want to include and pushing the walkie-talkie button. everyone has the option to join the group and talk, everyone but me.

we have reset the service, reset the phone, gone in the same circle over and over and over until i get disconnected and i give up. i have posted this in other forums with no ideas on whats going on, and have now resorted to emails with sprint hoping my emails won't get disconnected after 2 hours.

i took it to a local repair shop who spent about half an hour on the phone with advanced tech before being told that there was a nationwide outage ongrouptalk for all hybrid phones. an outage since feb. 25th. ihave not found anyone else with a hybrid who saysthey have issues with grouptalk. when i spoke with sprint today i was told there are no current outages that would affect me.

my direct connect works fine, just the group talk that give me a no service error.

does anyone have any idea what to try next?

Message Edited by hamagc on 03-10-2009 08:57 PM

Hey there, i also have an IC902, but haven`t had a chance to try the group talk feature yet (hope to sometime). Read your post, and you mention that one of the users has a v950 on Sprint, which i believe is a Qchat handset, just guessing here, but the fact that one of the users is on a Qchat unit might explain why you`re havin` this issue, AFIK group talk won`t work with Qchat handsets right now, so when you`re trying to join the group with the Qchat handset in there, it won`t do it. Just for kicks, try it without the v950 user in the group and see what crops up, if it works after ya lose that user (the qchat unit) then ya know what is going on, if it still don`t go, then you might look at a provisioning issue, which unfortunatly will mean another call. Hope that helps, and good luck. N9NRA P.S. While i have not tried the group talk yet, i just love the fact that i can do plain ol` Direct connect, that just ROCKS!!

Patron

hey, thanks for your reply. i believe i have solved the issue. i took it back to my repair center today who said the problem is not with the network or the service, but it is with the phone. they are ordering me a new one and should be here in a couple days.

the issue with the v950and qchatseems to have alot of people stumped as well. i have confirmed over and over that the qchat does work on group connect with iden and hybid handsets. it can not initiate the group connect but it can participate. everyone i have spoken to at sprint and even my repair center did not know this was possible until i mentioned it and showed them.

we have tried to do a group connect with each of the phones in the group and each phone not in the group. the results were the same each time. each phone including the v950 was able to connect and interact with the other phones via group connect but mine was not able to connect. again, the option did not come up on my phone for me to join and when i tried to start it i was left with a no service message.

i don't understand why no one at sprint knows thatthe qchat phones can do a group connect. talkgroup they can not do, but group connect seems to work just fine.

Wizard

@hamagc wrote:

hey, thanks for your reply. i believe i have solved the issue. i took it back to my repair center today who said the problem is not with the network or the service, but it is with the phone. they are ordering me a new one and should be here in a couple days.

the issue with the v950and qchatseems to have alot of people stumped as well. i have confirmed over and over that the qchat does work on group connect with iden and hybid handsets. it can not initiate the group connect but it can participate. everyone i have spoken to at sprint and even my repair center did not know this was possible until i mentioned it and showed them.

we have tried to do a group connect with each of the phones in the group and each phone not in the group. the results were the same each time. each phone including the v950 was able to connect and interact with the other phones via group connect but mine was not able to connect. again, the option did not come up on my phone for me to join and when i tried to start it i was left with a no service message.

i don't understand why no one at sprint knows thatthe qchat phones can do a group connect. talkgroup they can not do, but group connect seems to work just fine.

Hey there, you`re very welcome, glad i could give ya a bit of help. I too find that intresting what ya found out, that Qchat will do group connect, i know it will do regular Direct connect (i know someone here on the forums that has a Qchat handset and he can DC me on my unit), one reason for the problem with the folks not knowin` about it is that Qchat still isn`t totally availible nationwide yet, that could be one reason, and there may be others as well. Nice to read of someone else that has a IC902, even with the issues, i like it, and i`m not in a hurry to get me a Qchat unit just yet. N9NRA

Patron

ya i got the v950 for my g/f for xmas and decided to test out the group connect and boom there she was lol. i absolutely love my ic902. it is lacking a feature or 2 that i really wish they added in (like the application manager that won't send applications to the backgroud) but overall i love the phone. love the d/c. and i hope to have this phone for quite some time now, atleast the new fixed phone lol.

very good point about them not knowing qchat. i guess that is to be expected when something new gets rolled out.

kudos to you my friend!

Wizard

Hey thanks! Like i said, i`m always happy to help out another IC902 user, and that`s one of the BIG reasons i`m not doing the Qchat thing right now, that and the fact that Qchat needs the data side to work right (EVDO rev A). If ya want i`ll pm ya in a short and give ya my thoughts on this, better to keep `em off the forums (not nasty, just don`t need to clog up the boards ). N9NRA

Patron

ok just to add a quick update, the new replacement phone came in today and we swapped esn's and boom, the group connect works just fine.

in the end it does look like it was a problem with the phone.

Wizard

<blockquote><hr>hamagc wrote:<br><p>ok just to add a quick update, the new replacement phone came in today and we swapped esn's and boom, the group connect works just fine.</p><p></p><p>in the end it does look like it was a problem with the phone.</p><hr></blockquote><p>Hey cool! Glad they got your issue all resolved. Like i said, i just love my `902, and i`m defenitely NOT in a hurry to get any Qchat handset anytime soon Smiley Happy. And, i still say that Direct Connect totally ROCKS!!! N9NRA</p>

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat