cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert SIM?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Insert SIM?

I woke up to find that my phone says "Insert SIM" and won't let me do anything with it. I've tried turning it off and back on, taking the sim card out and putting it back in numerous times, and none of that has worked. My phone is an i776 nextel phone. I called nextel customer service, and she said my phone was still under warranty, so I should be able to get a new sim card for free, but I'd have to talk to sprint because that was my provider. She redirected me to sprint customer support, and the man (who I could barely understand) said he couldn't help me and I'd have to talk to Nextel. I really have no idea what I need to do to get this problem fixed. Does anyone have any answers or suggestions that could help me out?

Oh, I even called the sprint store in my city and they said they don't carry SIM cards. What?!

2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Re: Insert SIM?

I'm having the same problem with my i776w. I don't know what to do neither.

Re: Insert SIM?

Have you tried to make sure that you inserted the SIM card correctly into your phone?  I know a bunch of people that have inserted the card upside down and thus get the error message you got.  Also, make sure that the gold contacts on the SIM card are free of debris.  If they are not, VERY CAREFULLY clean the card and your phone.  If none of that works, then what I suggest both of you do is call tech support.  Basically, call into customer service via the (800) 639-6111 and choose tech support.  Once you get to a live person, you can explain the problem, and they should check a few things:

First, they need to verify the IMEI of the phone.  Now, assuming you JUST purchased the phone (say off of eBay), then the phone could have been reported stolen.  So you want to make sure you purchased the phone from someone reputable.

Second, they could try to have you do what is called a Master Reset.

Third, you may wish to see if someone else's Nextel SIM card works in your phone.  If it does, then all you really need to do is get your SIM replaced at any of the SprintNextel stores where they sell Nextel phones.  If they don't know what you're talking about, demand to speak to a manager and have him order you a new one ASAP.

On the off chance that the phone is damaged, tech support should be able to pin point it.  Also, if the only thing wrong is the SIM card, then tech support should be able to either order you a SIM, or direct you to the nearest SprintNextel store where you should be able to pick one up for free.

Worst case scenario, Sprint will screw you over (just as they have all Nextel customers thus far) and force you to call Motorola to order a new SIM from them (since Motorola made the phone).  You may end up having to ship both the SIM card and the phone to Motorola, but you should have it back with in 6 weeks (I know, it's an eternity).

Hope that helps.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat