cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Nextel iDEN Using SMS Text Messaging Now?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is Nextel iDEN Using SMS Text Messaging Now?

I no longer have a personal Nextel iDEN phone, but my company phone is an i530. My wife sent me a text message from her Renegade today, and it appeared as a one way SMS text message instead of the usual two-way browser message. I also tried sending a test text message from my ic602 with the same results.

Anyone have any info on this?

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Is Nextel iDEN Using SMS Text Messaging Now?

hmm my texts did come in fast yesterday no delays on 8350i

Journeyman

I don't know if this helps at all, but here is what I found with my i560 (which might be so old that this info is irrelevant to you, but for what it's worth):

Logged in to www.sprint.zipwhip.com and sent a short (20-character)text message to my phone. The notification hit my phone in 11 seconds, then the download took a full 65 seconds. I did not attempt a reply.

From Sprint-Nextel's regular webpage, I used the Send Message boxes at lower right corner of screen, chose Nextel network, it went to another screen that said it was using MMS, and that attempthad similar timing results (acceptably quick notification, unacceptably long download time).As of 20 minutes after I sent a reply to that message from my phone(directed the reply to my home email, not a phone number, when I sent the message originally from S-N webpage), the reply has not been received.

I'm in southern CA, and perhaps my area has not been upgraded yet to the new iDENtexting system?

- Nxtl4me

Journeyman

I wouldn't anticipate anything having changed aside from Sprint trying to optimize their systems for shorter delays. MMS is still the only service provisioned on NEXTEL I have been reassured by Sprint engineers.

I'm a BES admin and also see there are no new or changed service books being pushed to devices for MMS, WAP or SMS provisioning.

I have said this before and will again, the iDEN network and a correctly sized/optimized MMS architecture is not the issue. Capacity and or latency insidethe messaging systemdepending on the point of entrycan be abottleneck. Depending on how and where the message enters oftenmake a big difference. I am not talking about what state or tower but more or less what MMS "gateway". As much as I hate what Sprint is NOT doing for us NEXTEL users I am very confident that they can complete (they have been working on this for some time and "seemed" to think they have it corrected) this simple task of optimizing their messaging system over time.

I don't understand why people are so bent on complaining (not this thread specifically but many others) about MMS when MMS is our gift of a more advanced messaging system. 4+ (need to verify) years ago when this messaging system was implemented on NEXTEL there was much less demand for messaging. This goes back to Sprint not wanting to spend any money on the NEXTEL network (or in this case supporting technology) since its takeover and people's needs increasing.

Journeyman

theproto: I admit to being amlost completely ignorant of MMS and SMS, which is why I am asking youthe following question:

Why is it that the MMS system seems to be such a problem (for now), but the SMS that NextMail uses works perfectly for NextMail? Just wondering.

Thanks

- Nxtl4me

Journeyman

My question is why did a regularly sent text message appear as an SMS message on my i530? That's never happened before.

The only thing I can think of is that somehow your messages got redirected from the normal "yourphone#@messaging.nextel.com" to the "yourphone#@paging.nextel.com". Now, as to WHY that happened, I have no idea.

Speaking of odd things happening on the iDEN side for no explicable reason, I looked my latest phone bill. Saw I somehow accumulated over $28 in overage anytime minutes. HUH?!? I checked to see what numbers were causing the overage, and one of the numbers that was supposed to be a part of my "Pick 3" selection was actually being billed as using up my anytime minutes. Called up CS, and spoke to Sue in Colorado (if memory serves) and she looked it up. Turns out for some reason, the number that I designated back in November, 2008 somehow inexplicably was switched from xxx-yyy-zz01 to xxx-yyy-zz00. Sue couldn't explain WHY or HOW that happened since there were no notes on the system, but to her credit she did correct the issue and posted a credit for the overage on my account. 🙂 Thanks Sue! That's what I expected, since I would have otherwise only used up 340 of my 450 anytime minutes that month. 😄 She agreed.

Journeyman

OK, I have a BB 8350i and I was able to have the "Compose SMS text" option following these instructions. Let me know if it works for you guys:

1) Go to "Options">"SMS Text",
2) Where it says "Data Coding", change it to & make sure it says "UCS2",
3)Where it says "Service Center", type: +13348000011 and click "Save",
4) Try to MMS someone and make sure it sends/receives MMS normally from your handset,
5) Do a battery pull and now it should appear the "Compose SMS Text" option when you press the BB menu button.

*Note: With this configuration, I am only able to send outgoing true SMS. The best way to prove this is true SMS was to send a text message while on a phone call; it went through so this mean this is NOT MMS which uses data.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat