cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth getting Android Motorola i1 on IDEN Network???

Journeyman

Is it worth getting Android Motorola i1 on IDEN Network???

My husband and I have been with Nextel since 1999. We recently switched to the Sprint side and my husband was so frustrated with not being able to use his BB Tour (great phone) around all the electronics where he works and, add to it the dropped calls, that he went back to Nextel a couple days ago. I love my BB Tour and would like an Android now. I don't want to go back to a "simple" Nextel phone. But, I am really jealous seeing my husband not get dropped calls, and have such clear phone quality, etc.

Since I never used internet while on the Nextel Network, I would like to have a discussion about the Android Motorola i1 coming out soon. Is it unrealistic to think I can have my cake and eat it too (Nextel quality and internet)???

9 REPLIES 9
Patron

Re: Is it worth getting Android Motorola i1 on IDEN Network???

If the Blackberry 8350i is any indication of how things are going to work with the I1 then don't expect too much speed for the internet. Since Nextel is Iden you will not be getting 3G speeds but it is something I have learned to live with. On wi-fi obviously you will have no problem but on wi-fi off mode it really does depend on what you're looking for. in my case if I am looking for a site where I will mainly be reading and doing VERY LITTLE input then the problem is solved by using a mini opera browser or Bolt which I prefer. these browsers minimize the displayed info to fit on your screen and is displayed in a fraction of the time the regular phone browser works but can sometimes become a nuisance when trying to input data or click on buttons. to sum it all up the speed is bearable at best  and ok with a opera/bolt browser but if its speed you're looking for stick with sprint (speed and services like sprint TV etc)

as big of a fan as i am of IDEN and the PTT that comes with it i would not recommend it if you do more surfing on your phone than talking or direct connect. in my case it is a huge advantage from a communications and cost point of views since i rely on nextel PTT to communicate with Peru and Mexico at no charge and can travel to those two countries, along with a few more that have nextel, and incur no roaming charges for data, gps and messaging as well as direct connect,

hope this helps

BTW I too am anxiously waiting for the Motorola I1 to come out...although in all honestly I would forget completely about the I1 if BB were to suddenly confrim the rumours of an Android phone and make it an IDEN phone (well one can dream )

Message was edited by: cpllona777

Journeyman

Thanks for your reply. I ended up switching to the Android Hero and LOVE it. I can update ($150) March 1st and plan to get EVO. My husband is very happy to be back in his Nextel and be able to talk around all the electronics and computers where he works. He's not big into the internet, emailing, tv, etc., so it's no big deal to him. He just wants to be able to talk. And, fortunately, our $129.99 Family Plan works fine with my Sprint and husband's Nextel. You definitely have a real reason to stay with Nextel also. I loved my BB, but, wow, I REALLY LOVE my Android. BTW, I am curious what the Android Motorola i1 will be like???

brahh wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I ended up switching to the Android Hero and LOVE it. I can update ($150) March 1st and plan to get EVO. My husband is very happy to be back in his Nextel and be able to talk around all the electronics and computers where he works. He's not big into the internet, emailing, tv, etc., so it's no big deal to him. He just wants to be able to talk. And, fortunately, our $129.99 Family Plan works fine with my Sprint and husband's Nextel. You definitely have a real reason to stay with Nextel also. I loved my BB, but, wow, I REALLY LOVE my Android. BTW, I am curious what the Android Motorola i1 will be like???

That statement I highlighted in red...um...I totally don't agree with.  And I'm about as big of a Nextel fanboy as there can be.  Sprint has done very little to make anyone WANT to stay with Nextel.  In fact, I'd say that Nextel did EVERYTHING to have its customer base WANT to stay...Sprint, however, has done everything it possibly can (short of shutting off the network) to get people to leave the Nextel side of the company...and that's what has happened over the past few years (especially under Dan Hesse's reign as CEO)....7M iDEN users lost and counting.

With that said, what made you decide to grab an HTC Hero instead of waiting for the Motorola i1?  And odds are, unless you're into using PTT, you would not be as impressed with the i1 as you appear to be with the Hero.  Why?  Well, first of all, Sprint has asked Motorola to limit the i1 by using only Android version 1.5 instead of 2.1 which now even the HTC Hero is running.  Secondly, the web browsing and application downloads can be extremely slow on the i1 because the iDEN network was designed for communicating via voice (i.e., phone call and PTT) as the primary purpose, and messaging and data are merely secondary options.  Granted, Nextel (thanks to Motorola) had implimented WiDEN to speed up data applications and web browsing on their phones, but Sprint has shut that off and has no plans on bringing WiDEN back online.  Third, the Motorola i1 is already on sale for Boost pre-paid users, but there is still no official word from Sprint corporate when the i1 will go on-sale for us post-paid Nextel users...which is seriously disheartening and makes every Nextel post-paid user I know move a bit closer to canceling their contract and walking away from Sprint entirely.

Anyhow, I don't see how you could switch to an HTC Hero (unless I misread your initial post) and then switch to an HTC Evo 4G in less than 12 months...unless you have no problem paying serious out-of-pocket money to get the Evo, since even as a Premier customer you would have to wait 12 months between upgrades in order to get the full discounts that new customers get.

Regardless, I have played with the Boost version of the i1.  It's a tremendous phone.   Data seems to transmit faster on it than it does on my i90c.  And that's using the REGULAR Nextel/Boost browser.  Using Oper Mini makes pages pop up pretty darn quick to the point where it's almost as fast as an EVDO capable phone.  PTT and voice sound quality is solid to fantastic, so long as you have 3 or more bars (PTT slurs are evident with 0 and 1 bar, but 2 bars sounds ok).  Messaging is probably the biggest difference for most non-Android Nextel users...it's slicker, but it takes a bit of time to get used to.  I personally LIKE the Android way of messaging others...it's just easier once you get used to it.  In fact, I like it more than I do using any other Sprint non-Android handset...so I think that says a great deal about how good Android OS itself is.

Overall, I think the Motorola i1 is a solid iDEN handset.  No question.  Too bad Sprint is taking its sweet old time to launch it for us post-paid users.

Journeyman

My husband and I had been with Nextel for years...before people had even heard of Nextel. It was the only cell phone company we had used. We loved the talk quality, and couldn't find anything to compare. Then, I started getting the bug for a phone that would text. I tried the Clutch, but was very disappointed with the phone. Then I realized there was a whole world out there with cell phones...the internet, etc...LOL! CS convinced us we should switch to Sprint (yes, Sprint does everything possible to move customers away from Nextel and go to Sprint!!!), that if we wanted to use the internet, email, text, etc., we would not be happy with Nextel. So, we switched to BB Tour. I loved it. But, my husband had trouble with all the electronics/computers where he works, and the BB stayed hot, battery would deplete, from all the roaming in his workplace. He couldn't make calls and got so disgusted. So, we paid full price and bought a Brute. (Our BB Tours were from our $150 upgrade). Then, I started wanting an Android and my year wouldn't be up until March 1st, 2011. So, I bought a brand new Hero on ebay, had the Sprint Store put 2.1 os, and switch me from the BB to the Hero. So, basically I paid $250 for my Hero. We did the Sprint Buy-Back with my husband's BB Tour (not real smart at $70!). I still have mine, and will probably sell it on ebay. My year for the next $150 is March 1st. I'm planning to get the EVO. I know $250  on ebay was alot to pay (with $79 being the upgrade price), but I enjoy it so much it was worth it to me.

It has hurt me to see how Sprint has almost killed Nextel. I was always so proud to carry my Nextel, and there was good reason to be proud. Nextel was the best. You paid extra for the phones and the packages. But, Sprint, in my opinion, hasn't handled Nextel wisely. It's a phone that large businesses use and need. It has a place in the cell phone/direct connect market. So, why has Sprint reduced them to "Boost"!!! So sad!!!

Well, in that case, even though you did pay upwards of $200 for the Hero on eBay, I think you made a great decision.  Though why has it changed your upgrade anniversary date?  Did you extend your contract at all?

Anyhow, when you do decide to upgrade to a 4G phone (be it next year or whenever)...hopefully you'll have more than just the Evo 4G to choose.  And with any luck (God Willing), you MIGHT have an Android-based iDEN/WiMAX handset that you can also take a look at.

Hmmm...I wonder how well an Android iDEN/WiMAX handset with Android 2.1 would sell if it went head-to-head with the HTC Evo 4G?  I'm betting SERIOUS money that the iDEN version outsells the CDMA version by a good 2 to 1 margin.  Ah well...we'll see what happens.  Guess Sprint is still stuck on the idea that they have to either convert iDEN customers into CDMA ones, or get them to simply leave.  So sad that that is what appears to be their only goal.

Journeyman

I recently purchased the I1 about a month ago and so far very impressed.  I also switched over from a different carrier to Nextel for the Direct Connect.  Agree Sprint does need to promote/market/advertise the Nextel side better.   They could also upgrade the Nextel BB to recent facelifts and software blackberry has now but I guess thats also up to RIM to do. The only one thing would like to see is I1 to get upgraded Android software and it should since every other Android phone has at least been able to upgrade to 1.6 software. 

LowNoma wrote:

I recently purchased the I1 about a month ago and so far very impressed.  I also switched over from a different carrier to Nextel for the Direct Connect.  Agree Sprint does need to promote/market/advertise the Nextel side better.   They could also upgrade the Nextel BB to recent facelifts and software blackberry has now but I guess thats also up to RIM to do.The only one thing would like to see is I1 to get upgraded Android software and it should since every other Android phone has at least been able to upgrade to 1.6 software.

I'm glad to hear that you liked the Motorola i1 on the Nextel iDEN network.  The sad thing is what I highlighted in red above.  While the Motorola i1 is running on Android 2.1 over on the MIR iDEN network in Israel, Sprint is resisting releasing even the 1.6 upgrade...God only knows why.  And as for a 2.1 upgrade?  Forgetaboutit.

Sprint's only goal is to try to suck as much money form us iDEN users as they can before we end up bolting for greener pastures.  And given recent Verizon rate plan changes, I'd say that perhaps Verizon is the company we should be turning to.  After all, they're launching LTE now, and I hear that lab tests using Verizon's PTT over LTE is simply STELLAR!  Yes, it is ON PAR with Nextel iDEN!  At least while one uses LTE that is, but if you're on Verizon's 3G EVDO network, all bets are off.

Journeyman

Yea just dont understand why Sprint cant see the benefits of having Nextel.  Our work phones are Verizons with PTT (of course not LTE) and they are awful, sounds like your talking thru water and the sound or sounds it makes when u get a PTT call is well lets just say not a "Chirp".  I  still have hope the I1 will get an Android upgrade .  Come on Sprint put more support towards Nextel!!!!!!!!!

Well, given the news today about Sprint phasing out iDEN, I would say that getting the Motorola i1 is now officially a waste of time.

Good job, Sprint.  Way to alienate 12M of your subscribers!  No info on HOW you're going to migrate us over, but instead you claim you're going to flip off iDEN and hope that those customers go over to Sprint?  Yeah, like that will EVER happen.

And that's a shame since the i1 is a really good phone too.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat