cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mot I580 rebooting and display issue - very weird - I580 has mind of it's own

Journeyman

Mot I580 rebooting and display issue - very weird - I580 has mind of it's own

I have two Motorola I 580's.

One will only operate on the speaker phone. If I get a call, I have to use it in speaker phone mode. I keep it around as a spare for emergencies.

My pressing issue is on my other I580. It will just reboot for no reason. Sometimes, it will occur right after a call, sometimes it will just shut down, sometimes it will reboot and go to the prompt for the password (on the sim). I have not dropped it, it has not been wet, or otherwise abused. It seems to operate fine. I only have about half of my phone book filled. I don't use any of the features such as web, email etc.

It's very strange.

Could this be a software issue? Is it something I can address?

PS I am a computer professional so I am pretty technologicaly educated. If you have any suggestions, please pass them on.

Cheers,

Bristol

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Mot I580 rebooting and display issue - very weird - I580 has mind of it's own

How old is the phone? And do you have insurance?

I can't give you any advice because I never had or heard of any trouble with the I580 before. And since the 580 hasn't had a Software update since the middle of 2007, I doubt its a software issue.

You might just have to get yourself one of those "cool" yellow 580's to replace it.

Von

Re: Mot I580 rebooting and display issue - very weird - I580 has mind of it's own

Actually, this "shutting down to reboot" thing has been an occasional problem with almost all of the Nextel iDEN phones that I know of. Not one single phone that I've had has ever been free of this problem; however, some iDEN phones are more prone to doing this than others.

What I've noticed is that the phones will typically do this when in 1 of 2 situations (at least for me). First, if the phone has been sitting idle for more than 24 hours, after a phone call, it will reboot out of nowhere on its own. Same is true if I'm surfing the web for more than 20 minutes without having done anything with the phone for over 24 hours. Second, it happens when it receives more than 10 text messages at once.

Personally, I think it has to do with the CPU's or motherboard overheating or something and the natural fail-safe that is built-in is for the phone to reboot. I too used to think that it was a software issue, but after 12 years of service, you realize that it can't possibly be the software anymore. I think it's a hardware problem, and if it happens too often for your liking, I'd say take it into the local SprintNextel store and complain. Hopefully, they can fix it (and if they do, ask them what the problem was...since I'd at least love to know WHY these phones tend to do it more than any other phones on the market). If they can't, well...then you have a few choices to make.

Journeyman

@bristolxyz wrote:

I have two Motorola I 580's.

My pressing issue is on my other I580. It will just reboot for no reason. Sometimes, it will occur right after a call, sometimes it will just shut down, sometimes it will reboot and go to the prompt for the password (on the sim).

Does it reboot just sitting there untouched, ordoes it happenonly when you're handling the phone?

Does it do it more oftenwhen you're closing the flip?

Is it related to holstering/unholstering the phone?

My old i560 had a problem where it seemingly rebooted by itself, most often when I was opening or closing the flip or holstering the phone, although it never asked me for a SIM password. I eventually discovered that the problemwas the battery being slightly loose, and under some conditions when I was handling the phone the battery lost electrical contact just long enough to make the phone turn off and then back on again. My solution was to fold one of those small post-it notes in thirds and tape it to thebattery so that the battery door squished harder onto the battery, and the problem went away.

The i580's battery contacts are different than the i560, so that might not be the cause of your problem, but it's worth a look.

My new i580 does have a few more glitches than the old i560. The newi580 It takes a lot longer to boot up than did the i560, andit seems to hang temporarily, much more often than the i560.I've noticed that whenthe i580is receiving text messages it blanks out the displays and looks like it died, but it springs back to life as soon as the text messages finish arriving. The i560 never did that.

As a side note,the first newi580 I gothadto be returned the first day because the mouthpiece microphone was non-functional. The replacement phone works OK, but the microphone quality is definitely sub-par, as it causes a lot of "sss" sounds as I'm speaking. So the sound of my voice to other callers is worse with this new i580 than it was with my 4-yr old i560, and for both microphone and speakerneither the 560 nor the 580 is asgood as my 8-yr old i55sr, which is still in daily use with a family member.

Also, my new i580 does not respond to setting the keypad volume, it stays the same no matter what I set the keypad volume to. Very annoying.

When I step back and look atall of these minor issues, taken togetherit appears to me that the quality and reliability of the i580 is not that good any more. I do know they had to removethe i580temporarily from their website because of supply issues, so perhaps they changed manufacturers for this latest batch and have had production problems? Just guessing. Whatever the causes, even though I do love the new i580, these minor quality problems and operational glitches have rapidly taken the shine off of the phone and the formerly superb Nextel quality takes another hit in my experience. Sad.

Anyhow, you're not alone with your i580 experiences, and I hope my suggestion of battery looseness might possiblyhelp your situation.

- Nxtl4me

Journeyman

Okay, I came here for help for the same problem. Gave the post about battery some thought and found that just removing the cover caused the phone to shut down. After removing the battery it occurred to me that it may well be the contacts that were dirty. THat is the reason cordless phones fail to charge even though the batteries are new. I used a pencil eraser to clean the terminals on both phone and battery. We'll see how it goes.

Journeyman

In cell phones, I think it is more likely to be a momentary loss of battery contact due to physical movement of the battery inside the case than it is to be dirty contacts. In fact, your comment that simply removing the battery door caused your phone to shut down pretty much proves that it was battery looseness that is the cause. But after you've cleaned your contacts, I'd definitely try putting the folded post-it note on the battery, or maybe stick a band-aid on it or something about that thickness and "springiness", so when you reinstall the battery door it presses the battery down harder on the contacts and won't let it lose contact even if you drop the phone.

Ideally, a thin piece of foam cut to about the same size as the battery would be good, but it's difficult to find a piece of foam that thin. Come to think of it, the hardware stores are likely to have that kind of "thick tape" that is normally used for double-sided tape. The kind of stuff they use on the back of cheap "peel and stick" hooks on the side of the refrigerator or filing cabinet. Try Lowes or Home Depot or the like and ask for a small roll of double-stick tape and see if it is actually a piece of thin foam that might be the right thickness. You wouldn't necessarily have to peel off the backing and actually stick it to the battery, you could just cut off a piece and leave the backing on it. Here's an example, just for illustration:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam-tape-squares/=4wpa7x

I think the flip-phones also have inhereently more issues than bar phones. I've noticed a LOT more dispaly issues with my Nextel flip phones. My old bar phone has NEVER had a single display issue in nearly eight years of use, whereas the two Nextel flip-phones have both had flip-related glitches from e time to time. The flip phones are inherently less stiff than a bar phone, and the act of opening the flip naturally applies more of a twisting motion the the phone's body, and on top of that the thinner body of a flip phone has less ability to resist the "torquing" because it's two halves are much thinner than the single, monolithic thickness of a bar phone.

I have to say, as much as I love my yellow i580, it has a lot of build issues. Apparently very poor quality control there in China on the Moto production line that builds the i580 nowadays. I'm really surprised and very disappointed that Motorola has become such a shoddy phone when they used to be the undisputed king of durability and reliability. Too bad, another American icon dashed on the rocks of the "outsourcing" fad (and several other management fads over the past decade or so 😞

- Nxtl4me

Message was edited by: Nxtl4me

Journeyman

I want to thank you. I wish I checked for postings sooner, re: loose battery connections, random re-booting and shut downs. I have had my original i580 for 2+ years. No problem, except for the keypad volume (which I learned to live with). I installed a new BT60 battery 3 weeks ago, and have had issues with the random, unexplained shutdowns and re-booting. I've contacted Sprint Nextel's Technical Support and they've sent me two replacement phones and one new battery to address the problem. They have had no answer as to "why" this was happening or any quick fix. You did. Thank You.

Journeyman

Glad to hear what worked for me seems to have worked for you too. It's nice when a simple fix takes care of an aggravating problem.

Regarding keypad volume, my local Nextel repair center (ACL Wireless Solutions) figured that one out for me. You can't set keypad volume until you first set "DTMF Dialing" to "Never". Here is how you do it:

Main Menu > Settings > Phone Calls > DTMF Dialing (which is at the very bottom of the Phone Calls sub-menu). Set DTMF Dialing to Never, then you can set the keypad volume normally.

Once you set the DTMF Dialing to Never, to set keypad volume go to Settings > Volume > Keypad ( or if you use Profiles, you can set it differently for each profile you have, within that given profile).

If you have the user guide on CD that came with your i580 (or download it from Nextel's or Motorola's website), you can do a search/find inside the PDF manual for the words "DTMF Dialing" to get more detailed info. In my PDF version of the manual that came on CD with the phone it is on page 198, under the main heading "Using Settings" and the sub-heading "Phone Calls Features".

Truthfully, I doubt that I would ever have found that DTMF Dialing setting myself. The techs at ACL Wireless Solutions get credit for that one.

nexteldone[1].gif

- Nxtl4me

Message was edited by: Nxtl4me (corrected typo)

Journeyman

Amazing. Thank you, again.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat