cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Announced Photon 4G will NOT get ICS

Journeyman

Motorola Announced Photon 4G will NOT get ICS

Looks Like We will be getting that 100$ to get a sliding keyboard that is a piece of Junk, I hope I just hope sprint gives every owner that 100$ and put it to a New Non-Motorola phone for a phone that will get updated

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Motorola Announced Photon 4G will NOT get ICS

At the very least if they could just release or make the Moto Dev Root Unlock tool work with the Photon 4G then I would be happy... ;(

Journeyman

At today's keynote, Motorola head Dennis Woodside has pledged that the company will attempt to upgrade all of its new and existing Android handsets to Jelly Bean "very soon."

Uh, Really....?

Was the decision not to stand by your word on upgrading the Photon to ICS a decision by Google, Sprint or Motorola Mobility?  I have been doing the upgrade soak tests for Motorola Mobility, and have been keenly waiting for ICS, then a message regarding a change of plans, that had me thinking, ah haha, JellyBean. Then the no upgrade announcement. then an insult of $100 for another Motorola phone, when I have about a year and a half of a 2yr contract to go. 

How about throwing us a bone and at least give us a Motorola Mobility approved unlock, and release the code for the dock and the radio. Duh. This entire scenario couldn't have been handled more poorly had it been planned.

Did you PLAN to lose most of your customers, Motorola and Sprint?

Sprint - If you are not responsible or involved in this, I hope you are doing something to appease your customers on these phones. Motorola's $100 offer for another Motorola is insulting. No one who owns a Photon will want to buy another Motorola phone, and many of us have a year and a half left on our Sprint contracts, so we really can't upgrade without wasting money.

Gonna make any announcement about this lack of support and the reasons, Sprint?

Wizard

I think Sprint is to blame for the situation.

Nine (9) months after the Photon came out, Sprint stopped selling the device which means its EOL.

Lazy Moto saw an opportunity not to develop for a device that Sprint is not offering anymore.

The Photon is my last Motorola phone on Sprint

My next phone is Galaxy Note 2 with .... I don't know yet.

Journeyman

Yoda2009 wrote:

At today's keynote, Motorola head Dennis Woodside has pledged that the company will attempt to upgrade all of its new and existing Android handsets to Jelly Bean "very soon."

Uh, Really....?

Was the decision not to stand by your word on upgrading the Photon to ICS a decision by Google, Sprint or Motorola Mobility?  I have been doing the upgrade soak tests for Motorola Mobility, and have been keenly waiting for ICS, then a message regarding a change of plans, that had me thinking, ah haha, JellyBean. Then the no upgrade announcement. then an insult of $100 for another Motorola phone, when I have about a year and a half of a 2yr contract to go. 

How about throwing us a bone and at least give us a Motorola Mobility approved unlock, and release the code for the dock and the radio. Duh. This entire scenario couldn't have been handled more poorly had it been planned.

Did you PLAN to lose most of your customers, Motorola and Sprint?

Sprint - If you are not responsible or involved in this, I hope you are doing something to appease your customers on these phones. Motorola's $100 offer for another Motorola is insulting. No one who owns a Photon will want to buy another Motorola phone, and many of us have a year and a half left on our Sprint contracts, so we really can't upgrade without wasting money.

Gonna make any announcement about this lack of support and the reasons, Sprint?

I am as disappointed as any of you, anyhow maybe also try to voice your requests formally by submitting a formal request on Motorola's EIS site http://eis.motorola.com to give us some chance of receiving an update of some sort or at least let the custom developers and hobbyist support the existing Photon 4G user base.  I am in the process of going thru my financials to most likely pay the ETF and hop off on to a prepaid plan if there isn't any response from Motorola nor Sprint.

I hold Sprint as accountable because they pushed the Photon 4G really hard on the premise that the devices will be receiving updates later.  That and the fact that the relationship they have with Motorola they must have known of the Photon 4G will be on the chopping block of not receiving the ICS update.  Sprint did not do their job well enough to let existing Photon 4G users know this despite it has indicated that the Photon 4G has reached its End of Life.

Another point is that the limited availability of Motorola replacement on Sprint is pathetic and we are stuck with just the Photon Q.  If the Droid Razr series were available or can be activated on Sprint's network then that would be something nice to look forward to.

Journeyman

M_Marcus wrote:

I think Sprint is to blame for the situation.

Nine 9 after the Photon came out, Sprint stopped selling the device which means its EOL.

Lazy Moto saw an opportunity not to develop for a device that Sprint is not offering anymore.

The Photon is my last Motorola phone on Sprint

My next phone is Galaxy Note 2 with .... I don't know yet.

Yeah I am about to hop off Sprint and probably pickup a Lenovo P700i which is Android ICS with Dual Core Dual Sim Dual Standby and go with a prepaid GSM carrier if possible.  Plus the battery on that thing is nice at 2500 mAh so it would be nice to travel the world with the dual sim dual standby capabilities as well.

Journeyman

I just had the best and worse of customer service from Sprint. First the best: Talked to one of the customer support personnel about the photon 4g not getting ICS. To my surprise he had a photon 4g and didnt know he wasnt getting ICS. After he checked it out to make sure I was right, we talked awhile about my options were, how sprint was going to handle the abandonment by motorola and he put me on hold while he checked things out for me,(and for himself I think,once he found out he wasnt getting ICS). During our converstion he was helpful concerned and earnest. Now the bad, after the call got dropprd I called back to see if there was anyway I could talk to the same person and  well of course I couldnt. The person who answered transfered me to the same department as the first call and I asked the woman who answered, does sprint know about the photon 4g not getting updated to ICS and what if anything are they going to do about it? Her answer, "well software upgrades are the responsibility of the phine manufacturer and really have nothing to do with us." I beg to differ, if you sell a product that according to the mnafacturer is going to be upgraded and then isnt and a whole user base of this phone is left without support from manufacturer or carrier it is at least your responsibility to check out what you can do for the user. Her comment made me so angry I ended the call with the following statement, "This isnt like sprint, I guess I'll have to settle this with a email to coporate" then I hung up.

Journeyman

Have you had a chance to stop by to sign the online petition yet?  If not, please do we are at 12,000+ signatures and still need 2,799 more.

Go here: http://chn.ge/PaVpIX or http://www.change.org/petitions/motorola-mobility-inc-unlock-all-smartphone-bootloaders-2

Please spread the word with your friends, family, and coworkers/social networks.

Journeyman

Can someone tell me more about this $100 rebate everyone is talking about? Weblink?

Journeyman

Here is the link: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/2/motorola-jelly-bean-rebate_en-US

Here is coverage about the annoucement on CNET: http://cnet.co/UiM6c5

I have signed up at the Motorola site and have received only a generic message they will contact us for more information later when it is available.  Nothing official has come from Sprint if they will honor it nor have I seen/read any official acknowledgement from Sprint that they know of the program, etc.

Journeyman

I'm not sure how this rebate is going to be valid for Photon users as it only applies if you purchase a Droid Razr phone which is only offered on Verizon.

"Woodside said the $100 credit would only apply to the trio of new Jelly Bean-powered smartphones the company debuted at the event." http://cnet.co/UiM6c5

Motorola = Clueless

Journeyman

Maybe the relationship between Sprint and Motorola is over and that's why are getting screwed.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat