ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Announced Photon 4G will NOT get ICS

Journeyman

Re: Motorola Announced Photon 4G will NOT get ICS

I sent e makls to Motorola, Google, and Sprint asking about this mess.  I haven't heard back from anyone at Google in four days.  I got this note from Motorola:

Motorola Mobility continues to review how each device can deliver the very best experience possible, and at times, this can mean making tough choices – especially as it relates to Android software upgrades. Today, we need to let you know about some tough choices related to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades. Specifically, ATRIX 4G, Photon 4G and Electrify will not receive the ICS upgrade, but continue to be supported with maintenance releases to ensure optimum performance for the consumer.

We are committed to being more transparent than ever on our software upgrade strategy – even when we’re delivering news consumers may not want to hear. We are doing everything possible to continually improve our communication with you and make sure you are a satisfied customer. That’s why we recently announced our $100 rebate program for owners of these and other devices launched in 2011 and beyond that won’t get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This program starts in the U.S. this fall, and we are working to expand it to select regions around the world. Please watch for updates at motorola.com/tradeup.

Thank you,

Anne A

Motorola Mobility

I then sent a note to Dan@Sprint.com asking to be let out of my contract with no ETF since they cannot give me a current and secure device to use on their network.  His lackey sent me this heartfelt note:

I apologize would be unable to end your contract, or advance your

upgrade due to your device not being able to install the Ice Cream

Sandwich software. I understand that this can be an inconvenience, but I

apologize we will be unable to honor these requests. We don't want to

lose you as a customer as you are a valued customer. I hope that you

will reconsider, and continue to stay with Sprint. I show that you will

be eligible for an upgrade on this line as of 6/2013. I would suggest

that you consider the staying with Sprint as we are the only carrier

that is offering truly unlimited data which is a huge benefit to

smartphone users. Please let me know if you have any other questions or

concerns.

Sincerely,

Steven T.

Sprint

Dan@Sprint.com

In other words, both Motorola and Sprint have said "screw you" to a longtime and high spending customer.  And Google's silence speaks volumes.

[SarahKS - [removed content that violated Community Guidelines].  Then it's off to AT&T and an iPhone.

Journeyman

When I go to a LTE phone, the photon  G wasn't going to be one of my choices anyway. It does how ever suck because I'm not due for a upgrade for some time now. So I guess I'm stuck with a soon to be out dated photon. Motorola screwed the pooch with the photons. I can't upgrade the old one and not buying a smart phone I can't remove the battery. Way to go Motorola....

Journeyman

I have a lot of problems with those replies, but my biggest problem is that the part being relied upon to convince the customer to stay is patently FALSE for us Photon 4G owners.  Read this part again:

MarkEinSTL wrote:

I would suggest

that you consider the staying with Sprint as we are the only carrier

that is offering truly unlimited data which is a huge benefit to

smartphone users. Please let me know if you have any other questions or

concerns.

Sincerely,

Steven T.

Sprint

This is disingenuous. In every way that counts operationally, my data IS limited.  Severely.  For the full duration of my contract, my phone is limited to the spotty WIMAX 4G coverage that exists -mostly in places that I do not visit, and even then, I have yet to manage to pull a Wimax signal indoors in any of those places.

Anyplace that I cannot get WIMAX (effectively 95-99% of everywhere), I can only get 3G data rates -which is the same as a throttling of my data compared to competing carriers.  You can only stuff so much data through a soda straw as compared to a waterfall every month, and the inconvenience of WAITING for that data to come through because you get it at a far slower rate doesn't help matters any.

Add to that the fact that these phones haven't gotten any maintenance updates that I am aware of that have EVER solved any of the most important operational communication problems that users have been complaining about.  Namely battery usage -that allows you to use the phone in a PORTABLE manner longer, and text messaging that allows you to communicate reliably in a timely fashion.

There hasn't even been any communication regarding potential aftermarket applications that could be at fault.  That would be a start which would allow users to at least have a work-around if the basic device isn't at fault.

There have been some minor non-communication type enhancements, but these are primarily telecommunication devices, not cameras, they are a Motorola device, NOT a Nikon device, and nothing has been done to enhance the reliability of the primary functions of the phone.

What ever happened to the company whose word was worth something and that you didn't need a lie-detector to deal with?

They're still shovelling it faster and deeper.  I'm going to have to change from cowboy boots to hip waders before this contract is over.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat