cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???

SOLVED
14 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???

I wonder what's different about the cable that comes with the phone? Isn't it an ordinary straight through USB A to Micro USB cable?

I think what triggered mine into getting stuck on charge only was I had it connected to a cable that came with an Energizer USB device charger. when I'd use that cable to connect my Epic 4G to the PC, it'd work, pop up the connection type menu like normal. Select mass storage and it'd work. But it'd do the same when using that cable to connect to the Energizer charger.

Using the Energizer cable also disabled Gmail and the Market (gawd I *hate* the Play Store name) from being able to contact their servers, along with all data other than text messages. Not a problem with that cable on the Epic. Toggling USB debugging and rebooting made no change as long as it was connected with the Energizer charger's cable.

I also tried using some other USB charger with the Epic and that one would somehow shut off the digitizer on the touch screen.

Look like I'd best take real good care of the cable that came with the Photon Q!

Journeyman

Same issue for me....obviously something wrong.  Did exactly what suggested by turning on USB debugging, powering down, then turning it back on and turning debugging off....IT WORKED!  Thank you for the suggestion! 

Had issue with this phone also with timezone...would not adjust time from EST to CST.   Read posts on this issue but not able to fix.  Does anyone know of a fix for this problem?

Thank you!

Journeyman

Try a different USB cable.  My generic cable from a wall charger that I bought as an extra does NOT transfer data.  When I use the original Motorola USB cable, which also has a wall charger that came with it, that cable DOES connect the phone to my computer.  I had experienced the same exact issues as you, and when I changed cables the problem was solved.  I just wish I had exchanged cables two days ago!

Journeyman

Solution Number 2:

Once the phone asks you what you want to do when the USB connection is made for the first time, it pretty much doesn't ask you again as far as I've seen in my own experience. I completely forgot I simply chose to do nothing and hit the back button when I plugged it in through USB for the first time, because I just wanted it to install the driver on Windows 7. (This doesn't seem to install the device driver on Windows 8 unless you choose one of the options as I've just figured out..)

It normally gives these three options:

1) Charge Only - Only charging the phone.

2) Media Device (MTP) - Transfer files to Widows, or using Android File Transfer on MAC (see www.android.com/filetransfer)

3) Camera (PTP) - Lets you transfer photos using camera software, and also transfer any files on computers that don't support MTP.

So what you will have to do is manually select what you want it do while the USB is plugged in. (It may default whatever option you choose once you have selected what you would like it to do in this step.)

Step One:

Go to Settings on the phone via the Quick Screen (swipe the screen to the right to bring up the screen to the left of home) or in the Apps Menu.(central button on home screen).

Step Two:

Under Device go to the Storage Menu

Step Three:

Press the Option Button over to the right of the Storage Icon/Back Button. (This should be the famous three vertical dots we're all used to seeing by now.)

Step Four:

Press the option that pops up that says USB computer connection. (Only option on my phone.)

Step Five:

You will see the three options previously described above. Choose whatever options you want.

1) Charge Only - Only charging the phone.

2) Media Device (MTP) - Transfer files to Widows, or using Android File Transfer on MAC (see www.android.com/filetransfer)

3) Camera (PTP) - Lets you transfer photos using camera software, and also transfer any files on computers that don't support MTP.

Once you choose whatever option you feel like going with, it will do what you need it to do. (You will also notice if the device hasn't installed yet that your computer should detect it now on Windows 8 OS.)

This should help if you've never messed with the Developer Options screen and it shows that your Developer Options are Off.

Journeyman

Worked for me, but guess what!!!  Now it won't charge on USB!!!

Journeyman

Yup, this worked for me too.  Odd issue, great fix!  I've noticed since the 4.1.2 update my screen doesn't freak out mid-use either.

Journeyman

THought I was heading to the Sprint Store until I found this.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Had this exact issue.

Debug mode worked.

Thanks, all.

Journeyman

My Motorola Photon Q is doing exactly the same thing on two different computers one   Crosshair V formula Z  win 7 64 bit with 16 gigs memory and  Asus M4N82 Deluxe with 4 gig ram and win 7 32 bit same thing on both computers  worked once now will not connect again.

I have done the usb debugging and all sorts of other stuff  like motorola helper   mobility  Moto cast  all of it  uninstalled reinstalled   over and over restart  turn off usb debugging   all over and over again still  it says error loading drivers and still no go

http://i40.tinypic.com/5cdiwz.jpg[/IMG]

Journeyman

BartmanLACA:

I was having the EXACT issue. If I tried to change the USB modem while connected, it would just switch back to charging and if I switched the mode to "Media Device" and then connected to a laptop, it would also just change back to charging.

I followed your advice and turned on the USB debugging, rebooted, shut it off, and then connected it and now it works again - great suggestion!