cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qchat phones, will there be anymore?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Qchat phones, will there be anymore?

Phonenews started this rumor up towards the beginning of the year, with no new phones or markets announced since the 2nd sound almost a year ago it's looking like the truth. With you all loosing most of the midwest's IDEN because of divesting something has to be done on the CDMA DC side

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Qchat phones, will there be anymore?

Dubspoon:

I don't knnow if this post over on Phonescoop is legit or not, but for what it's worth the poster claims that the president of iDEN (not named, but that would be Danny Bowman)replied to his/her questions about the future of iDEN withan email outlining S-N's intent on iDEN and Qchat. The one line I thought was relevant to your post is this one:

"Qchat has only been launched in parts of the US and we dont have plans at this time launch any further."

Here is the link to that specific postingon Phonescoop.com: (link to specific post as quoted above)

Here is the link to the beginning of the thread (only two postings so far): (link to beginning of thread on Phonescoop.com)

As I said, I have no idea if that post is legit or not, but I draw your attentionto it for what it's worth.

- Nxtl4me

Journeyman

That's plum dumb, with the divestiture of iPCS markets you would think they would be building out DOrA like WiMax or better.

Journeyman

Verizon has come out wiht at least 4 new ptt phones in the time Sprint's last one was announced 9/3/08, you guys need a fire lit under you

Journeyman

Main reason they haven't come out with more QChat phones? They're inferior to the Nextel Direct Connect devices. iDEN PTT is still the fastest PTT coming in at subsecond connection times. QChat, Powersource (Hybrid), Direct Connect on Sprint, those services just aren't as good as the original Direct Connect.

Master

schernak wrote:

Main reason they haven't come out with more QChat phones? They're inferior to the Nextel Direct Connect devices. iDEN PTT is still the fastest PTT coming in at subsecond connection times. QChat, Powersource (Hybrid), Direct Connect on Sprint, those services just aren't as good as the original Direct Connect.

Just gonna make one correction to that statement. The Powersource devices used the exact same iDEN network that the straight Nextel handsets do. Unlike QChat/NDC on Sprint which uses the CDMA data system to piggyback the DC call.

Journeyman

I have had good experience DC'ing between my Nextel iDEN handsets and my inlaws' Qchat phones, and also Qchat-to-Qchat. If there is any speed or performance differences between iDEN DC and Qchat DC,  it is not really detectable for us as a family, whether in the same building or across the US.

Not arguing with anyone, just sharing my real-world experience. And I, too am a die-hard Nextel iDEN fan.

- Nxtl4me

Journeyman

sprint could care less about qchat and iden. If you could not tell they are slowly killing off the ptt side of the business. Have you noticed any new ads for PTT? Any new phones? You can see that they are coming out with these on Boost but not Sprint. This is where Verizon is setting up to kill Sprint in the business market, Verizon is introducing their PTT phones as they work all over the country, have a solid reputation with coverage and now with super durable phones, the next thing you will see is the PDA or CDMA BB with PTT from the Verizon. Once they announce the PDA with PTT Sprint is going to see a massive loss of federal and state govt accounts as we have first hand knowledge of one federal agency that has over 50k with Sprint and will be moving them all to verizon once they upgrade the software on the BB 9630 to enable PTT which will be done in the first quarter of next year.

It is amazing to see how within just a few years, Sprint has destroyed the niche that it could have easily exploited if it had decided to stay with Moto and PTT instead of getting into bed with qualcom and their inferior ptt solution.

Journeyman

Yep. It is painfully obvious to us legacy Nextel subscribers that Sprint is 95% clueless when it comes to PTT and 99.9% clueless when it comes to the psyche of the Nextel user base.

Either the original Nextel people have all departed, or they are consistently overruled/overpowered by the legacy Sprint people and have given up trying.

BTW, Qchat (i.e. Qualcom's PTT on CDMA) was originally going to be Nextel's upgrade path, because the original Nextel had plans in place to upgrade their national twork from iDEN to CDMA, so Nextel worked with Qualcom to develop Qchat, and Nextel owned the rights to Qchat. Sprint inherited Qchat when it purchased Nextel. If Nextel had gone it solo (i.e. not gotten hitched to Sprint) and if the original Nextel company had implemented Qchat itself, I think the performance would have been much better than the rushed, misunderstood, Sprint-implemented Qchat you see now.

IMO, the merger never should have happened, OR it should have been Nextel buying the Sprint assets and Nextel people taking the reins and pushing out the legacy Sprint executives & management. If the latter, you would see an entirely different company today, one far better in all respects than the Sprint-Nextel you see today.

- Nxtl4me

Journeyman

I can't imagine ptt going anywhere, it's still a vital cog in biz today but Sprint is not investing  in the next phase with new phones. When Verizon smaks them in the face with the 1st touchscreen, smartphone with ptt maybe they'll wake up

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat