Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The future of Nextel devices?

29 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: The future of Nextel devices?

Hi East82 and tititron,

This is what the Sprint International Team told me, as you can read it is very concerning because it is very different from what you guys are saying, can you let us know where your info came from?

Kyle E.: Alright so when the Nextel (IDEN network) services are no longer offered from Sprint and you go to the Sprint Direct Connect phones (CDMA network) the service will be quite different in Mexico.

-First and most important, the Sprint Direct Connect services are currently able to be used while inside the US to DC someone using the Nextel (IDEN) service in another country. At this time the Sprint DC is not supported for use while you are located outside the US. Now Sprint has not officially announced any plans to support the us of Sprint DC while outside the country. That's not to say it will not happen but we just don't know at this point. I know one of the biggest problems with this is the Sprint DC is delivered via Data on the CDMA network, most international locations do not support 3G data yet and therefore their data speeds are not fast enough. I'm sure there are probably other factors as well but that seems to be the biggest from what I've read on this.

Kyle E.: Now when traveling in Mexico the CDMA Sprint DC phones do work for Voice Calls, Data, Text messaging. Since you will be using the CDMA network now the rates would be different. The CDMA provider in Mexico charges these rates:

When using your phone in Mexico you will be charged:

Voice pricing: $2.29/minute

Data pricing: $0.004/KB

Text pricing: Send: $0.50/recipient; Recv'd: $0.15/msg

You are charged for both incoming/outgoing calls as well as calling your voicemail. If you  receive a phone call you will not be charged if you do not answer the call.

We also have these tiered data packs available:

55 MB = $30/month, per line

175 MB = $75/month, per line

325 MB = $125/month, per line

-Overage = $4/MB

If you choose not to purchase a data pack I highly recommend to disable your data roaming.  Otherwise your phone will automatically connect to the data services to sync your  email,apps, push notifications,contacts,etc. and these charges will add up very quickly.

Me: ok, so CDMA data will definietly be an extra charge while in Baja Region in Mexico, not like on current plans where data is not an extra charge while in this region

Kyle E.: That's correct. I really do not recommend using international data at that rate unless you have a plan. It adds up quickly!

Kyle E.: Right the IDEN network in Mexico, that carrier doesn't charge extra for data but the one that runs the CDMA network does.

Me: so even if Nextel Mexico eventually upgrades it still should be an additional cost

Kyle E.: Yes, most likely.

Journeyman

Hi east82,

I am also in SD and understand where you are coming from, on both responses you can see it specifically says Nextel and Powersource phones, the new 3G service is Sprint PTT so there could be this issue. I think Sprint actually know what is going on but is no disclosing anything so people will renew contracts.

Journeyman

Hello,

This may be southern california customers only, but here are some info in regards to Nextel DCing to Baja for free:

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Make_Nextel_Direct_Connect_calls_in_Baja_California/case-b...

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Using_Direct_Connect_and_data_service_in_Baja_California/c...

Both tititron and I live in San Diego (not related), and based on the info tititron provided, I changed to sprint dc (admiral). I have not being charged anything extra, even I make DC calls to Baja daily basis.

I, however, understands where you are coming from. When I tried to clarify this roaming things, no one, not even sprint supervisor weren't clear about this. Some people just plainly spoke out that they don't know.

Journeyman

HI tititron,

Where did you get this info? Nobody at Sprint has even attempted to answer anything about it, in fact the only time someone said anything they said that there would be roaming charges and that it would not be the same as Nextel PTT

(See the response from wingland on this post http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/87179?start=0&tstart=0)

As far as I know Nextel U.S. to this day provides the IP backbone for Nextel Mexico Baja Region from their facility in Irvine, CA (that is why Nextel Mexico phones in the Baja California region don’t have a 52*xxxx radio number). So unless Sprint will do the same for Nextel Mexico's new 3G network and sprint handling it, I doubt Spint or Nextel Mexico will agree to NOT charge roaming.

I really hope you are right, if We can get data and PTT 3G in San Diego and Tijuana as we do in the current iDen network then Sprint would be doing great.

Unfortunately like I said, nobody at Sprint has even tried to answer this, and given my personal experiences with Sprint and how they have ignored all Nextel subscribers, I have no choice but to wait and see something in witing or something official before I will believe them.

Journeyman

Thank you, thank you, thank you tititron for your inputs.

This has been very helpful. Trust me, no Sprint customer representative or even managers were able to give a clear answer to this matter. I'm grateful to your comment and sharing your experiences.

I actually bought Admiral and was going to test it for myself by opening a new separate line (because no Sprint Customer Rep gave me a clear answer - or yet, confused me even more), but I don't have to go through that path anymore.

At this moment, I don't have to go to Baja, but certainly a roaming update for Admiral would be great!

Please keep us posted!.

Journeyman

tititron wrote:

Hi TK241,

The software update you're refering to is for the Kyocera phones only, they've been udpated already and are able to utlize 1xRTT and roam across networks in the US for their PTT needs.  Unfortunately the Motorola Admiral hasn't been updated yet, they say it should be anytime soon before we receive the software update!

If you happen to have the Kyocera models, then you have to update the software manually by going into your settings. 

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/sanyo/kyocera_duramax...

Okay, so basically we wait till they ether finish testing the update for the admeral or for when they just decide they wanna give us the uupdate, i get that .  Your post initially was confusing, i was getting the vibe that they just were not going to do an update for the Admeral at all, which had me thinking this `un was already EOL (hope not ).  Anyway, second question here, how will this update arrive, will it be a PRL update or part of bigger maintainence update (still some other issues i`ve seen that need to be fixed, the random wifi disconnect bug, for one).  Thanx!  TK241

Journeyman

Hi TK241,

The software update you're refering to is for the Kyocera phones only, they've been udpated already and are able to utlize 1xRTT and roam across networks in the US for their PTT needs.  Unfortunately the Motorola Admiral hasn't been updated yet, they say it should be anytime soon before we receive the software update!

If you happen to have the Kyocera models, then you have to update the software manually by going into your settings. 

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/phones-and-devices/sanyo/kyocera_duramax...

Journeyman

HI East 82,

I have a Motorola Admiral and you're a bit mis informed.  You DON'T HAVE TO PAY THE $10usd for International use in Baja, it will stay the same as old Nextel plans.  I have several lines with the NEW SDC and also have several lines with NII Nextel Mexico so I constantly call daily from San Diego, Ca to Tijuana and Mexicali and I'm not being charged for it.  I must say that the Motorola Admiral is very good phone, 3G works very well and the PTT so far has been as fast as the IDEN.  The only issue still is you aren't able to roam in Tijuana yet, but in September NII Nextel Mexico will go ONLINE with their new 3G Network and should enable roaming throughout Baja with our Sprint Direct Connect.  My suggestion, just wait it out and you'll see how this NEW network that Sprint has along with NII Nextel Mexico will be the BEST PTT option in North America!!

Journeyman

I already made the shift to SDC (Sprint Direct Connect) after i got tired of only being able to run apps and web (data) on wifi due largely to the painfully slow speeds on IDEN, now IDEN DID do the calling, text, and NDC thingy really well, but the data side was a real pain, not only that, i needed to have a phone up north at my folks` place for an emergency, and unfortunately IDEN didn`t have service out where my folks live, so i kinda had to switch.  All in all, i like the new PTT offering, and from my tests it works realy well around here, what i`m waiting on now is the (`sposedly) upcomming PTT roamming update, as i`ve said elsewhere here we`re now well into July (the update was supposedly to roll out to customers on June 18TH according to Phonescoop.com) and still no update...or words on when it`ll arrive on-handset, once that happens i can test it further and at that time i`ll pass judgement.  Yeah, i`m a smidgen upset about IDEN shutting down, but look at it this way folks, it was going to happen sooner or later anyway.  Haven`t chatted with any IDEN users around here to see just what`s happened so far since the phase-out atarted so i don`t know just where we`re at here in WI.  Guess we wait and see.  TK241

Journeyman

I am still debating to shift from Nextel to Sprint Direct Connect.

Most of sprint customer representatives (including international reps) are giving mixed answers, and definitely I am not comfortable with the current level of custoemr service. One person plainly said that she's not sure and not to trust information she provided.

Currently I have 7 lines, and I'm using BB8350i. IF I change to SDC, I'll change it to Admiral. Since majority of my direct connect calls are to Baja, California, the change would add $20 extra ($10 premium data for 3G, and $10 for international direct connect) per line for me. That's $20 that I'm not paying with Nextel. For all 7 lines, that adds up additional $140 dollars per month.

I live in San Diego, and Nextel allows users to make DC to Baja region without additional cost. Adding $10 for the limited services that previously offered for free is absurd, in my opinion.

I hope Sprint notices this conflict that long-time customers are having, and address these issues quickly. At least, provide border-town customers with a plan for Baja region for cheaper price.