cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my photon shut itself off for no reason at randon?

Journeyman

Why does my photon shut itself off for no reason at randon?

I got this phone about 5 months ago and it has had this problem ever since day one. I even had a tech at the sprint store look at it a few times to get it diagnosed and has had factory resets and even after the reset and not downloading any apps I still have that problem. On top of all of that it has ip registration errors and lately the battery life has been really bad. I make like 2 5 minute phone calls on 4g with nothing else on and a few minutes of facebook and websurfing and in about 6.5 hours my phone batery is completely dead. It's supposed to have 10 hours of talk time. This phone don't even have 10hours standby time! Anybody know why that is or is this just a piece of s*** phone?

5 REPLIES 5
Wizard

Re: Why does my photon shut itself off for no reason at randon?

The lousy battery life is due to the poor network.

I got my phone the first day it came out, I was so happy about the battery life that I convinced my friends to change their EVO 4G.

If you are in good coverage area it should not be a problem (my friend is and he is still happy about the phone)

Journeyman

I don't know what you've tried, but use WiFi, instead of 3G or 4G when you can, and play with the energy saving settings. The screen and the radio use a lot of power, but mainly the screen. Play around untl you have a good compromise in settings that you can live with, and that doesn't use so much battery power. Games such as Angry Birds and Stupid Zombies will drain your battery unbelievably quickly. I usually play games when plugged in.

I got a larger battery off the internet for like $20 or $30. That helps a lot.

Good luck!

Journeyman

Thanks for the info. But I still would like to know why my photon shuts shuts itself off and turns itself back on when it has plenty of battery life. It does it at random at least three times a day that i notice maybe more. I hate that because I might miss an important phone call.

Journeyman

But what about as far as the phone resetting itself by itself when it has a good charge? Is it normal? Have you experienced that with your photon or know anybody that has?

Journeyman

I had the same problem as you have now.  My problem resolved when I replaced the Photon with another Photon.

Prior to the replacement I had visited an actual Sprint store repair stores 5 times, the authorized Sprint dealers did not want to help after explaining the issue.

Sprint rep did the same thing factory reset, update firmware, etc....

The phone just got worst and worst, it started to either shut down or I'd catch it rebooting itself several times a day.  Sometime when it did shutdown, the only way to get it turn on again was to remove the battery for a minute or so.  I also noted that the ON/OFF button was either sensitive that a slight touch turns if off when I hold the phone on its side. 

The Sprint stores did not want to replace the Photon and could not offer any other help.  I call the Sprint service number and luckily the representative was willing to replace my phone after seeing the history.  Luckily, on this phone I was paying for the repair program.  The new Photon is working great, the battery life last almost 2 days with less than 100 text, maybe 50 minute of talk time and several rounds of solitare, word with friends.  I noticed that if I turn off my phone during charging, the charge on the phone last longer.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat