cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i680 Brute (all of them it seems) has Major Issue...might need to be recalled

Highlighted
Journeyman

i680 Brute (all of them it seems) has Major Issue...might need to be recalled

The phone stops receiving/sending MMS at random. The only resolution is to power cycle the phone, but then it will happen again. Sometimes 5 minutes later, sometimes 5 hours later, but it always happens again.

I have been through 2 of these with the same issue and there are a number of other i680 users reporting the same thing at other message boards.

I'll be returning the phone to Sprint and canceling the line I just added. I'll wait to get the phone again once the problem is fixed.

I am shocked this made it past quality control. All of us with the phone noticed the problem from Day 1.  Didn't Sprint test this thing before selling it?

Message was edited by: izzyks

Message was edited by: SarahKS

68 REPLIES 68

Re: i680 Brute (all of them it seems) has Major Issue...might need to be recalled

I must say I'm a bit shocked that such a thing was able to get past Motorola.  However, here's how I envision what happened for this to even come about...

1. Sprint feels the pressure to add a new phone to the iDEN network. 

2. Motorola develops the i680 Brute.

3. Sprint gives Motorola a drop dead date that Motorola can't honestly commit to in order to deliver the stellar products for iDEN that it normally does.

4. Sprint just sells the i680 simply to be able to claim that it put a new iDEN phone on the market.

5. Sprint this way gets to say they gave us iDEN folks a bone, but they now get to besmirch Motorola as well as iDEN.

Just how I see things, be it right or wrong. 

If Sprint was smart, they'd come out and issue refunds to all i680 owners (or at least give everyone $10/month discount on their respective rate plans) b/c MMS for the i680 is buggy. 

Journeyman

Re: i680 Brute (all of them it seems) has Major Issue...might need to be recalled

I have had multiple phones and wasted multiple hours of my life trouble shooting with tech.  The only thing I was told is that it is a "known" issue.  But that answer only came from one person and he said it was the towers.

In addition, voice appears to be affected.  I have missed many calls and voice messages without notifications.  Buyer beware.

Lastly I wrote a nice e-mail to whomever asks if my issue was resolved explaining the disservice and product that I paid for.  At this point a recall is only one step in reconciliation.  I have wasted much time and work productivity and increased my stress each day my phone acts like a paperweight.

Acknowledge the problem and fix it.  Or is this your plan to get more customers off the Nextel Network.  Once again, inexcusable.

Simply Irate

Message was edited by: AFDOC

Journeyman

Yeah, I am headed back to the Sprint store this morning to return the phone. Not sure what I will do to replace it...iDEN offerings suck right now. So I suspect I'll either totally cancel the line or get a Sprint phone.

Journeyman

I understand completely, the offerings are terrible.  I had an i580 for 4 years and this was the only phone I thought could replace it.  I was wrong.

I refuse to buy a phone that I do not want, and if I upgrade to the 3rd i580. 

So if Sprint or Motorola could at least recognize the problem and work on a solution it would be nice.  But unfortunately I have been let down by both with other phones specifically the v950.

I don't think a grass roots petition will work because it failed in the past.  So I guess canceling the line if the only option.  If anyone else has an idea please do not hesitate to chime in.

While the Droid gets 2 updates (and counting) in 3 months, Sprint cannot even get a fully working phone by launch.

Way to go Sprint

Journeyman

Although this post is about the new i680, as I've pointed out in other posts, I am on my FOURTH i580 since getting my first one last June (2009). The first three failed within a couple of months, or in one case it failed right out of the box. I can only guess that Motorola's production plants in Asia are completely out of control, whether its the i680 or the i580 being produced.

Funny, Motorola was the first company to promote "Six Sigma" as a manufacturer's religion to obtain nearly defect-free production (excerpt from Wikipedia): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_sigma

"Six Sigma is a business management strategy originally developed by Motorola, USA in 1981. ... Six Sigma seeks to improve the quality of process outputs by identifying and removing the causes of defects (errors) and minimizing variability in manufacturing and business processes."

Sad that now Motorola's iDEN handset production in Asia is apparently running closer to One Sigma (given the fact that three out of four i580s I've had in seven months have been defective):

Sigma levelDPMOPercent defectivePercentage yieldShort-term CpkLong-term Cpk
1691,46269%31%0.33–0.17
2308,53831%69%0.670.17
366,8076.7%93.3%1.000.5
46,2100.62%99.38%1.330.83
52330.023%99.977%1.671.17
63.40.00034%99.99966%2.001.5
70.0190.0000019%99.9999981%2.331.83

A once-proud Americam manufacturer has become more like a third-world producer. Sad, very sad.

- Nxtl4me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_sigma

Message was edited by: Nxtl4me

Message was edited by: Nxtl4me

Journeyman

Went out friday nite and got mine, started have issues saturday morning and was on phone with customer service, tier 1, and tier 2 all day sunday with nothing solved, they dont even want the phone back!!!! Back to the ole instict for me.......Or maybe Verizon

Journeyman

I canceled my i680 line this morning. Re-activated my Tour and text and data don't work. Spent the entire AFC Championship game on the phone with Sprint, went BACK to the Sprint store...still nothing. They told me if it isn't working by the morning to come in and they'll give me a refurb Tour.  This phone was working this morning! The problem is in my account somewhere, but no one can figure out where. This company is a joke.

Journeyman

ive been with nextel since '02 then moved to sprint in '08 and now back to nextel, they arent getting any better, i talkd to guy that sold me the phone and he said ill be the 4th person taking it back, he cant do anything for me or my troubles and all you get from customer services is " we re srry for the inconvenince" and they hangup for transfer me to another department in another country...........Why god Why didnt sprint leave nextel alone!!!!!!

Journeyman

The silence from Sprint is defeaning. This phone has been on sale for over a week.  EVERYONE I know of that had the phone has this issue. I even reproduced the issue on the demo phone at the Sprint store.  It is incredibly irresponsible that the company is still selling this device while such a major flaw goes un-corrected.

Journeyman

nobody to keep them in check, so they sell junk, bad service, and lie about coverage. they should jus finish absorbing nextel and drop the name already so it can rest in peace.

Journeyman

my brother's i570 boost hasnt had any problems, and a girl i know with sprint hasnt had any problems with mms.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat