Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ic902 DC dropout.(no signal)

Highlighted
Journeyman

ic902 DC dropout.(no signal)

Has this been happening to anyone else?

For the last couple of months my DC signal drops out randomly. I could be in the middle of talking and bam. Nothing. Might come back right away or five hours later. For the most part if someone DC's me I just tell them to call me. I've got to the point were I don't think I need it anymore.

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Funny, I've seldomly had that happen. I almost wonder if it's merely your handset that's problematic. And mind you, I'm rocking a 5 year old iDEN-only phone at that...so it's most assuredly NOT the national network itself, but it could be a local network issue instead (i.e., a local antenna is problematic). I'd suggest having the phone checked by one of the local Sprint stores, and if that yields no problems, then I'd call into CS and alert them to a potential localized issue with iDEN's PTT system re your ic902.

Patron

Actually, this is a very common problem w/ the ic902. Both ic902s I have do this.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had the same issue with the ic502 I tried over a year ago; that's one of the reasons I dumped it at the end of the 30-day trial period and went back to genuine iDEN only. As the previous poster stated, maybe it is alsoa characteristic of the ic902.

Of course,the DC droupoutscould also be coincidence, with the local tower(s) just temporarily going down, orbeing overloaded, orundergoing maintenance/repair.

But I also wonder if it could be rebanding in the OP's local area. Does anyone know if there is any rebanding going on now?

Highlighted
Journeyman

The funny thing is I had an Iden only nextel. I was having problems with dropped calls while at home. So the CS rep got me into this phone. Just over a year later and now it's the opposite. My contract is up but I'm not eligible for the full discount till next May. I was thinking about the touch pro, but I'm not paying that price with out the full discount and rebate. I don't want to leave Sprint. But if I can save a couple hundred dollars by going to that V word I might.

Message Edited by JoCo on 10-02-2008 09:22 AM

Highlighted
Patron

Interesting.. I never had the ic902 drop calls, just DC.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@JoCo wrote:
The funny thing is I had an Iden only nextel. I was having problems with dropped calls while at home. So the CS rep got me into this phone. Just over a year later and now it's the opposite. My contract is up but I'm not eligible for the full discount till next May. I was thinking about the touch pro, but I'm not paying that price with out the full discount and rebate. I don't want to leave Sprint. But if I can save a couple hundred dollars by going to that V word I might.

Hey JC, is the handset in question an i730 or i830? If so, it's your device.

These aforementioned phones were two of the biggest pieces of crap Motorola ever put their name on. My mother-in-law has an i730 and the reception is nothing short of horrible.

My advice is get either a Powersource or QChat phone. If you do decide to stick with iDEN only, the i615 would be about your best bet. A little bulky, but good battery life and good reception.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@jrfdsf wrote:

@JoCo wrote:

Hey JC, is the handset in question an i730 or i830? If so, it's your device.

These aforementioned phones were two of the biggest pieces of crap Motorola ever put their name on. My mother-in-law has an i730 and the reception is nothing short of horrible.

My advice is get either a Powersource or QChat phone. If you do decide to stick with iDEN only, the i615 would be about your best bet. A little bulky, but good battery life and good reception.

I'm sorry. I just noticed that I forgot to say what phone I have. Had an i870 then they switched me to an ic902. The phone part works but the DC drops out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

In an attemptto clarify,I will try topiece this thread together coherently (JoCo please correct me if I've got it wrong):

JoCoformerly had an iDEN i870, which worked OK for DC butdropped cellular calls, soSprint-Nextel switched JoCo to a new ic902 PowerSource phone, and now with the ic902 JoCo has good CDMA cellular service butis experiencing random loss of iDENDC for minutes or hours.

Is that right JoCo? If not, please re-state the facts clearly, starting at the beginning. Otherwise the posters who are trying to help you hereare just spinning their wheels & confusing the issue.

If my recap is correct, then you might well be having a very common PowerSource problem, i.e. the iDEN DC portion ofPowerSource phones is not as strong or as reliable as isNextel DC in a pure iDEN phone. I know jrfdsf will disagree with that statement, but based on everything I've read on this and other forums over the past couple of years, and my own personal experience,the DC portion of PowerSource is not as reliable as pure iDEN DC is. When push comes to shove, the control software/hardware on PowerSource phones gives precedence to theCDMA cellular sideover the iDEN DC side. PowerSource phones have one brain and two receivers, and the brain part has to make a choice when there is competing resource for the brain's attention, and apparently PowerSource is programmed to give the nod to CDMA cellular in the event of a tie. I am not a phone developer, but that is what the symptoms point to, and such a conundrum is common to any device that has to time-slice the main controller resource (i.e. the "CPU") to cover multiple I/O and processingrequests.

But as jrfdsf suggests, perhaps a Qchat phone would work best for you. If you are more satisfied overall with the cellular serviceyou receive onthe Sprint CDMA network, and PTT is not that important to you, and you can live with Sprint's customer service,then consider a Qchat phone or a pure CDMA Sprint phone with no PTT. Or, as you hinted, maybe you would be happier overall with Verizon. You should choose what works best for you in your area of use.

Nxtl4me

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Nxtl4me wrote:

JoCoformerly had an iDEN i870, which worked OK for DC butdropped cellular calls, soSprint-Nextel switched JoCo to a new ic902 PowerSource phone, and now with the ic902 JoCo has good CDMA cellular service butis experiencing random loss of iDENDC for minutes or hours.

This is correct.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat