cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ic902 and ic602 no longer available online?

Highlighted
Journeyman

ic902 and ic602 no longer available online?

Went to sprint.com and noticed these phone are no longer listed. Are they being discontinued?

34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: ic902 and ic602 no longer available online?

You are right they are not there and that is very weird they are not that old! Anybody have any info on why?

Highlighted
Journeyman

thats very wierd. both are barely a year old. i use the ic902 and dont have any problems with it either. thought it was a very nice phone. i also noticed that the moto razr2 v9m isnt online.

Highlighted

Perhaps SprintNextel finally sold out of all of those PowerSource phones that they had left in stock?!?

My guess though is this lack of PS phones (since both were on the website as of yesterday - 07/15/2008) is because of one of two things:

1. The webmaster forgot to include the PS phones...so it may simply be an oversight.

2. SprintNextel sees that trying to BLEND the two brands together is a serious mistake and has decided to keep the brands mutually exclusive (FINALLY!). So, any PS phones would have been taken off.

Also, keep in mind that perhaps some exec FINALLY realized that users (like myself) would refuse to upgrade to such a phone because it would force me into adopting a newer rate plan (won't do it...since adopting any current rate plan would cause me to pay in excess of $20/month more). So, eliminating such phones could help allow users to upgrade sooner rather than later.

That plus keep in mind that the Nextel brand is slated to get several new phones in the next 12 months (18 allegedly now)...and 6 or so in the next 4 months, including the fabled BB with WiFi. So, we'll see what happens.

In the mean time, let's hope that we've seen the last of those PS phones. To them, I say good riddance!

Highlighted
Journeyman

dejan, i dont understand what you have against anything that the sprint side of the company offers. the sprint network is very reliable everywhere ive been, as well with nextels network. my experience with the moto ic902 has been great. i actually switched back to it from the blackberry curve, htc mogul, htc touch. i just cant imagine that they will release 18 new nextels by the years end. they may, but i just doubt it. it seems as if the nextel costomers are fleeing elsewhere. ive got over 650 contacts in my phone, 400 or so of which had nextel, or PS phones. now theres only 2 of which that have it. my mom, and brother.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Speaking only for myself, I have no love for the Sprint side of the house simply because nothing but bad experiences have occurred since Sprint bought Nextel and thoroughly trashed the Nextel Way.Ivery muchliked and was satisfied with the Nextel Way, and now it's gone. Sprint absolutely did not have to do that; they could have managed the merger in a totally non-confrontational, true merger-of-equalsway that would have kept everyone happy. I have seena merger of similar scope done wellon one other occasion, described it on a BAW post a few months ago, and I can absoluely guarantee you that I myselfcould have managed this merger way better than Sprint or Nextel did, just using common sense (more acurately, uncommon sense).

Nextel was not perfect, as all true Nextel fans have stated many many times here, and there were major issues looming in terms of network capacity and next-generation technology choices to make. But Nextelwould absolutely have tackled those issues successfullyontheir own, although they would have remained small in size. Nextel subscribers didn't care one whitif Nextelnever becamethe largest wireless povider in the US, in fact we could not have caredless about that. All we cared about was continuing with Nextel the way it was, doingbusiness the Nextel Way, regardless of network technology or ultimate size in terms of subscribers.

As a side note, personally I would pay to have the chance to ride in an airliner in the seat next to Tim Donahue (former Nextel CEO) for a few hours; he'd go home crying, I guarantee. Anyone who takes a great company like the formerNextel was and sells itto the likes of Sprint, and worse yet turns the reins over to a moron like Gary Forsee,deserves a blanket party of the first order.

So there's your answer. Coming from the legacy Nextel side, we lost almost everything,we have gained literally nothing, and it has all been at the hands of Sprint.There is not one single thing about the Nextel network or phones or customer service that is an improvement over what allof those things were in 2004-2005(before Sprint took over). Not one single item. And since we can still remember how good it was before Sprint took over, we (or at least I) are mad as hell. We've given the bozos at Sprint the benefit of the doubt and boatloads of patience and good will for almost three years now, and every single time they have proven that they are inept, incompetent, and have absolutely no soul when it comes to us legacy Nextel subscribers.

NEXTEL. Done In By Sprint.|

Highlighted

As Nxtl4me has already stated, there has not been even one area that Sprint has improved my Nextel service in. Customer service? Absolutely not. Coverage? Funny, they neglected coverage of iDEN up until 7 months ago, so no, that doesn't count as an improvement. Distribution of Q-chat over CDMA? Um...last I checked, it's only available in select locations and even when deployed nationwide, it will still have a far smaller footprint than iDEN PTT has. So that's not an improvement. Oh, I know...the decrease in # of dropped calls or lack of signal? DEFINITELY NOT. Actually, quite the opposite. Despite internal measures of "best ever levels", the real world experience for many Nextel users in my area is simply that Sprint is lying and that things were far better pre-merger than they ever have been post-merger.

As I said, people don't care WHAT per se the network's issues were, they only care about whether their phones will work, and if not, they only care about getting an answer from customer service. Pre-merger, the case was either your phone worked, or a CSR would tell you EXACTLY why you were experiencing problems the frist time...without need of transferring your call even once. Try that even with today's "improved" CS. It simply doesn't happen unless all you're calling about is to obtain the most basic of info (and even then you may get the run around).

Nextel aside, what about the CDMA side you say? Well, let's see. How long was it before Sprint offered the RAZR? Oh that's right, 2 years post RAZR craze. In other words, too little too late. How about all those past investments that Sprint has made that were going to revolutionize the industry? Remember ION? Oh, that's right...those all went up in smoke and were always blamed on the previous CEO even though the same modus operandi is still being incorporated. Then there are suddenly all of the major billing errors. Ok...transition of accounts from one billing program to another, you say? Sure...but why were most of those complaints happening on the iDEN side then?!? Hmmm???? It was CDMA user accounts that were being transferred over to the system that Nextel was using, yet...the Nextel users were getting the brunt of the billing errors. Go figure. And then there's the whole lack of due diligence and urgency on the part of the Sprint executives. Nextel new that a merger with Sprint would force the new company into most likely having to buy up Nextel Partners because of the exclusivity agreement that the two had. The executives for Nextel knew that going into the merger as did the public. Yet Sprint execs apparently had no clue that their own affiliates would start griping the second this merger took place? Are they that arrogant, or that stupid? Or both? But they tried to buy up those affiliates, you say? Ok...so how do you explain the continued failure of getting rid of the biggest affiliate: iPCS? And last but not least, there's the whole WiMAX issue. Nextel had already discussed with Motorola a 4G solution: OFDMA - a technology that was employed by Intel for WiMAX as well as by Flarion for 802.20. Yet, that took how long for Sprint to decide to get behind? Oh, and then the execs end up simply giving away the 2.5Ghz spectrum over to Clearwire, and ONLY after getting other companies to jump into the mix to help fund such a network?!? Let's face it...anyone that was deaf, dumb, and blind could see that there were problems, and that the worst of them were coming (and continue to come) from the Sprint side.

To sum up: I dislike Sprint because of what Sprint itself stands for: it's a lazy, opportunistic, do nothing leach of a company.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Other than one point, QJ,I agree with what you've said above.

re: "Then there are suddenly all of the major billing errors. Ok...transition of accounts from one billing program to another, you say? Sure...but why were most of those complaints happening on the iDEN side then?!? Hmmm???? It was CDMA user accounts that were being transferred over to the system that Nextel was using, yet...the Nextel users were getting the brunt of the billing errors."

From what I've read on BAW and other wireless-oriented websites/boards, it was the Sprint customers, both pre-merger and post-merger, that had nearly all of the billing problems. I don't recall hearing much from the Nextel side about billing issues. I can testify for myself that since 2002 I've never hadone single billing error from Nextel. Not one, and that's in 72 billing cycles and well over 20,000 individual cellular calls placed/received (not incl DC, which has countless calls andalso had no issues billing-wise).

Boy, it was nice when it was stillgenuine Nextel. No worries, no hassles, just great service, and up until 2005, a phenominally reliable network.In the rare casewhen there was an issue, resolution was swift and correct, I always got a follow-up call from a live person asking how my interaction with Nextel CS had gone, and for my trouble I alwaysreceived at least 50 bonus anytime minutes on my account. Now THAT was service.

NEXTEL. Done.|

Highlighted
Journeyman

The ic902 and ic602 are now off the Nextel site!! Could a Nextel employee please verify the status of these two phones. I need confirmation as the customer service people seem to have no clue nor does telesales. If the phones are discontinued I would like to know why. I am in a "red market" and the CDMA interconnect (voice calls) was a godsend! I have been using the Powersource aka Hybrid phones for 2 years now and have only great things to say about them. My first was a ic502 and now I am using the ic602. Both phones are tough, built for the real world and offer good features including "Moto Talk" off network walkie talkie... which I loved when I was up in the mountains with friends and no cell coverage was available!

In any event, a confirmation and reason to this nonsense would greatly be appreciated.

Here is a kicker for Sprint/Nextel ... a colleague has fell in love with my ic602 and was ready to dump AT&T .... he went to the website Sunday to find the phone gone! He will not look at any phone except Motorola made units (he will only support American companies)and wants the better voice quality andcoverageof CDMA vs.. iDEN only. Now, there are only pure iDEN phones and some Sanyo thing.

Don't worry iDEN fans, I am not making fun of iDEN... just it is a fact that the iDEN spectrum is maxed out in the New York region and other "red markets" and further doesn't roam into rural areas well.I used a i836 and i2000+ and loved them but had to admit defeat as the voice calls started to suffer and the Hybrid / Powersource phone worked great for me. I would think more Nextel iDEN fans would see the PowerSource as a way to get the best of both worlds ... true iDEN Direct Connect and great quality CDMA telephone calls including better data services.

Ok, not to get off of subject but I felt I had to respond to some of the CDMA bashing and Powersource bashing, ha ha.

Any idea on the disposition of the ic602 and ic902 would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

They are end of life. Meaning no longer getting sold.

Why this is? Best guess is QCHAT is meant to be a better option than Powersource.

Speaking from the calls I've taken in both departments, the QCHAT phonesappear to be doing better so far.

Highlighted
Journeyman

PowerSouce is at the end of its life? That is a bit early, no? From what I can see is that the EVDO (Q-Chat)aka "Nextel on Sprint phones" have rather limited coverage areas in regards to where the Direct Connect will work. I am guessing that when EVDO is available at most towers that this solution will be more realistic though I am still wondering how it will perform during emergencies .... how hard will it be to set up CDMA coverage with EVDO in an emergency market like Sprint has been able to do with iDEN in the past such as with Katrina and WTC? I think that "Nextel on Sprint Phones" or EVDO Direct Connect will have to be proved to the many people that depend on the service prior to killing off iDEN solutions. Further more, these non-Moto phones being offered lack "Moto Talk" which many users depend on ... whether emergency responders to construction anyone that has used this feature in a non-covered area based on down towers or just no coverage can tell you how much of an awesome feature the off network walkie talkie feature is.

So, the bottom line is that by killing PowerSource it leaves people with either buying a pure iDEN phone or pure CDMA phone with Direct Connect over EVDO. In my opinion it is way to early to kill off the PowerSource line based on the above examples. I think Nextel customers and those in the know are going to now be forced to go with pure iDEN for reliability or coverage issues which will once again contribute to the over subscribed iDEN system astelephone (interconnect) calls will be put through iDENunlike a PowerSource phone which gave the users the best of both worlds - iDEN for Direct Connect and CDMA for telephone while lowering the iDEN load issues.

I am sure EVDO direct connect will be great going forward but prior to better coverage and the technology being proved those that depend on Nextels vital communications will be sticking with iDEN or PowerSource. Also, dependable options such as the off network "Moto Talk / Direct Talk" should be included on all of these new EVDO DC phones, whether they are a Motorola phone or not as it has become a technology that Nextel users expect to have.

In regards to the guy that wanted to get an IC602 - we tracked one down at a local Sprint store! He dumped AT&T and is now a happy Sprint/Nextel user with an ic-602. His phonenumber was ported over in less than an hour which as most impressive. After one day of use he has reported better coverage and awesome voice quality over AT&T and now understands why Direct Connect is so great!

Message Edited by DARPA on 07-24-2008 06:26 AM

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's interesting to note, though, that you can still buy the ic502 online. Seems kind of strange, that they'd only keep the basic phone. So, Powersource isn't completely killed off, but maybe they're trying to limit the appeal by having only one basic phone (in an ugly color, if you ask me).

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat