cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ic902 and ic602 no longer available online?

Highlighted

Re: ic902 and ic602 no longer available online?

I think the issue was really WHO was buying up those PowerSource (or...as I refer to them...Piece of $#!@ phones). The original premise was to have legacy Nextel (aka iDEN-only users buy the PS phones). However, the vast majority of those PS purchasers and users were previous CDMA-only users. Go figure. And that is where the original billing issues came into play. After all, if Nextel customers did not experience any significant billing issues until the PS phones arrived, then why would legacy Nextel users suddenly have billing issues?!? Go figure.

Anyhow, the point is that the PS phones were not really alleviating any capacity issues on the Nextel network, and Sprint only ordered a limited number of PS phones from Motorola. So, as those handset models (i.e., the ic902) have sold out, they are NOT being replaced (due to cost actually). Plus, there are other ways to improve capacity, and I think Sprint is looking into that...and the new phones coming down the line should better be able to address the issue.

At least that's my take on it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was a IDEN user with my i580 before buying my ic902. I love this phone and it is the perfect phone for DC, SE plans.

Like my "limited production", street brawler, '04 Mach 1 Mustang the ic902 is now an instant classic.

Pssst.... Hey Motorola, how 'bout a shaker hood scoop on the V950?

Semper Fi

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not dis'ing the ic902 at all, because a lot of people really seem to love that phone. And it certainly can do more data-wise, media-wise,etc on the CDMA side, so there are some real advantages there.

But as a user that went from an i580 to an ic902, don't you sometimes just miss the solid, non-slipfeel in your hand of an i580, kind of like holding a stone of the same size? Thatfeeling of knowing you can tossan i580as far as you can throw and it will just bounce and keep on working?Come on, you can admit it, we're all friends here. The i580 is one of the manliest mobile phones ever produced, and over the years has one of the best customerratings of any iDEN phone,and for that it deserves a lot of respect.

BTW, is the DC performance of your ic902 REALLY as good as the DC performance of your old i580? When we tested the ic502 against pure iDEN phones (i560 and i55sr), the ic502 frequently would not make DC calls, while thepure iDEN phones heldright next to it never failed to make a DC call. So I'm wondering if your ic902's DC performance truly is 100% as good as your i580's was.

Thanks,

Nxtl4me

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Nxtl4me wrote:

I'm not dis'ing the ic902 at all, because a lot of people really seem to love that phone. And it certainly can do more data-wise, media-wise,etc on the CDMA side, so there are some real advantages there.

But as a user that went from an i580 to an ic902, don't you sometimes just miss the solid, non-slipfeel in your hand of an i580, kind of like holding a stone of the same size? Thatfeeling of knowing you can tossan i580as far as you can throw and it will just bounce and keep on working?Come on, you can admit it, we're all friends here. The i580 is one of the manliest mobile phones ever produced, and over the years has one of the best customerratings of any iDEN phone,and for that it deserves a lot of respect.

BTW, is the DC performance of your ic902 REALLY as good as the DC performance of your old i580? When we tested the ic502 against pure iDEN phones (i560 and i55sr), the ic502 frequently would not make DC calls, while thepure iDEN phones heldright next to it never failed to make a DC call. So I'm wondering if your ic902's DC performance truly is 100% as good as your i580's was.

Thanks,

Nxtl4me

The i580 may be a solid phone, but it has a very wimpy, and easy to break, flat antenna.

If I were to ever go back to a regular iDEN phone, I would get something like an i615. Now there is a truly manly, rugged phone.

I personally wouldn't buy any Nextel phone with a flat antenna. Haven't seen one yet that the RF was any account.

My ic502 has had no problems making DC calls, but my old i530 did occassionally not want to work properly. Moto phones are sometimes plagued with software issues like freezing up and powering off for no reason. As much of a Moto fan as I am, you can sometimes get one that will do things that drive you nuts.

Highlighted
Journeyman

jrfdsf wrote:

"

The i580 may be a solid phone, but it has a very wimpy, and easy to break, flat antenna.

If I were to ever go back to a regular iDEN phone, I would get something like an i615. Now there is a truly manly, rugged phone.

I personally wouldn't buy any Nextel phone with a flat antenna. Haven't seen one yet that the RF was any account."

True, the i615, although a bit of a brick, is a manly phone. But it's not the same as holding a closed i580 in your hand (form factor, rounded corners, fully rubberized outer skin when closed - you know, like holding a stone).

I recently put our i55sr (similar chassis to the i615) and i560 side-by-side in Trace Mode, and the i55sr in general has slightly better signal strength than the i560under most conditions. I loved the ultra-readable display (LCD), ruggedness, ease of use, and the whopping speakerphoneof the old i55sr, but it is far more convenient for me to carry the flip-phonei560. Does the i560 fall under your "flat antenna" characterization? The i560 is not the best Moto ever made, that's for sure, but mine is going on 3 years and 400 hour phone lifetime hours, and it still works fine. I did screw it up once by rinsing it under running water, because I mistakenly thought it was a rain-resistant model. $55 fixed that little mistake and it's been trouble-free ever since.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Nxtl4me wrote:

@jrfdsf wrote:

"

I personally wouldn't buy any Nextel phone with a flat antenna. Haven't seen one yet that the RF was any account."

True, the i615, although a bit of a brick, is a manly phone. But it's not the same as holding a closed i580 in your hand (form factor, rounded corners, fully rubberized outer skin when closed - you know, like holding a stone).

I recently put our i55sr (similar chassis to the i615) and i560 side-by-side in Trace Mode, and the i55sr in general has slightly better signal strength than the i560under most conditions. I loved the ultra-readable display (LCD), ruggedness, ease of use, and the whopping speakerphoneof the old i55sr, but it is far more convenient for me to carry the flip-phonei560. Does the i560 fall under your "flat antenna" characterization? The i560 is not the best Moto ever made, that's for sure, but mine is going on 3 years and 400 hour phone lifetime hours, and it still works fine. I did screw it up once by rinsing it under running water, because I mistakenly thought it was a rain-resistant model. $55 fixed that little mistake and it's been trouble-free ever since.

@Nxtl4me wrote:

@jrfdsf wrote:

"

Yeah, the i55sr and i700 phones weretough as nails handsets too. The RF on those phones have yet to be matched by any flip phone from any carrier. I remember years ago my buddy had an i700 (work issued) phone and I had my i90- not too shabby in its own rights.Once,we came down off of Tellico mountain, his phone got a signal a full 5 minutes before mine ever did! I think he only had to plug that thing in about once a week, and talked on it constantly.

I wish the i615 came in yellow and black!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Nxtl4me wrote:

Thanks,

Nxtl4me

I have never judged a phone if were manly or not but here goes... Does the i580 have fold out screw drivers or knives? On the other hand, it is rumored that Nextel is working on "fax a beer" for the ic902.

DC with the ic902 for me is just as reliable as the i580.

I have decided never to go Qchat. Well, that depends on if the FCC kills IDEN. IDEN is the only PTT that works when all else fails in an emergency.

With the Sprint/Nextel merger, next thing ya know Sirius and XM will do the same. OMG, they did!

Highlighted
Journeyman

On another note the new QChat phones will not work with international roaming like the iDEN DC does. This and the other mentioned reasons are many things Sprint needs to think about. Will international iDEN systems also upgrade to CDMA EVDO QC? I think that iDEN is going to be around for a while unless answers and solutions to really replace iDEN are had.

Anothing thing to ponder, will Sprint and Verizion open up their QChat networks ... that could be a way to really help hammer down the technology. Imagine if a person could DC a Verizion QC user!

Compare DC phones at: http://www.nextel.com/assets/pdfs/en/services/compare_ndc_phones.pdf (PDF)

Highlighted
Master

The ic602 and the ic902 are both EOL (End of Life). This means that they are no longer being replenished from the manufacturer. This also means that whatever is still left in the markets are to be sold, or sent back to the warehouse after a set period. I know that at my store we have not had any ic602s or ic902s for a couple weeks now.

These devices are being replaced by comparable Qchat models. I do not know which specific models are replacing them at the moment, but PowerSourc e overall is not being removed, just these two models. It is no different than when the Katana II was EOL'd, it was replaced by the comparable Katana LX. Not the best example given the context, but a good one nonetheless.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For what it's worth .. the Motorola Renegade V950 is one hell of a phone!

My brother pickedup theMoto Renegade V950and has been very pleased. The entire phone is in a rubber case - it meets typical military specs PLUS it meets the specs for blowing rain and salt air fog! Don't let the hard working part foolyou ... this phone is loaded. It is a like a Razr V3m on steroids. It also will roam on the 800mhz CDMA network ... wow!

So far the EVDO DC has been working great on the phone. The odd thing is that Sprint is stating on their website that this phone is available in limited quanity! Why, one has to ask would they limit such a killer phone?

I will keep an eye on how this phone performs as if it does a good job I will have to say that perhaps D/C over EVDO has matured enough to take it serious. The remaining questions will be how it will perform in emergency / disaster areas and I am waiting to find out if the D/C will work when in roam.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The ic902 is available again @ sprint.com.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nice! It looks like this new release model is silver like color sort of like the new release ic502. Interesting indeed.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat