cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ic902 and ic602 no longer available online?

Highlighted

Re: ic902 and ic602 no longer available online?

The reason for the limited release or quantity is simple really: Sprint was trying to gauge just how popular Q-chat would be. As such, they had Motorola only make a few 100K phones with the option of ordering more. So...hence why you see "limited supply" online. A great phone will be HARD to keep on the shelves. BTW, notice how EASY it is to get an Instinct now...you can find it online as well as at EVERY Sprint and Best Buy store...that's NOT good considering it's actually still somewhat hard to find the iPhone at Apple stores and next to impossible to find the LG Dare. Granted, both are relatively newer than the Instinct, but still...the point is made. Maybe Sprint overplayed their hand on the Instinct and ordered too many? Don't know.

But from all accounts thus far, the V950 is a great phone...with some annoying problems (see that respective thread).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Interesting, so they are testing the water with the Q-Chat phones... understood. Yes, the V950 is so far getting nice reports though the one complaint most have is battery life.There is an extended battery that can be purchased for this phone ... heavy users should consider that. If not, a car charger is a great investment as it can be quick charged on the go.

Another interesting note the ic602 is available again as of this morning from Sprints site!

The Instinct blows the iPhone out of the water and I do think it still has a good chance to catch on.Only time will see but I never put much faith in the masses as they are followers - so it will take some leaders to get them to change directions. Good adverts comparing "fruit" phone to the Instinct would also help .. focus on the TV, battery life and other good features.

In some aspects, Sprint should work harder to emphasize the power of the CDMA network vs. the crappy AT&T GSM network in regards to speed, clarity and handoffs. Regarding GSM, 90% or moreof the people with iPhones will never go to Europe so who cares if it works in France as AT&T likes to push ... Sprint can really do some damage by exploiting iPhones weaknesses next to the Instinct.

Message Edited by DARPA on 09-23-2008 07:57 AM

Highlighted

Now there's a switch. I just checked Sprint's website a few seconds ago. Now last week, there was only the ic502...no ic602, let alone ic902. But the V950 Renegade WAS available for me to order.

Today, all 3 of the PowerSource (PoS) phones are back, BUT the V950 is gone.

Makes you really wonder WHY Sprint brought back the PoS phones and took away the Renegade...

Highlighted
Journeyman

The ic602 has been a great phone for me ... not a PoS, really! I had the ic502 and it was also a good phone but basic. The ic602 is packed with features and functions great. It even has voice recognition! For people looking for a smaller phone yet still want some good features this phone is it. I also get excellent talk time with this thing.

The Renegade is still showing up for me, I am on the East Coast. No question, the Renegade is one hell of a phone.

I think there was a demand for the Hybrids so likely why they brought them back. They are the best of both worlds ... CDMA for calling and data - iDEN for Direct Connect. At least for now, they are a sure bet while Q-Chat / HPPTT is worked into the system. The main plus on the new phones is the ability to roam on 800MHz but at the cost of other lost features like Direct Talk that is available in the "ic" series phones. At least offering a range of phones should satisfy the wants of most people.

NOTE: The ic602 does not offer Sprint TV or the Music Storelike the Sprint Store is stating right now. This is a major typo. It also does not yet support NFL Mobile - old or new version. Oddly enough, the ic502 was able to support the old version of NFL mobile. The ic602 does indeed though support the Sprint email application as well as many other features.

Message Edited by DARPA on 09-24-2008 07:41 AM

Highlighted

@DARPA wrote:

The ic602 has been a great phone for me ... not a PoS, really!

Actually...umm...hate to break it to you, but any and allphones with the "ic" moniker are considered PowerSource (i.e.,PoS). Now, whether YOU consider itto be a power source...that's a different matter.

I had the ic502 and it was also a good phone but basic. The ic602 is packed with features and functions great. It even has voice recognition!

I believe all Nextel (iDEN only that is) handsets produced after 2001 have voice dialing recognition. So that's nothing new for iDEN users.

NOTE: The ic602 does not offer Sprint TV or the Music Storelike the Sprint Store is stating right now. This is a major typo. It also does not yet support NFL Mobile - old or new version. Oddly enough, the ic502 was able to support the old version of NFL mobile. The ic602 does indeed though support the Sprint email application as well as many other features.

None of the PoS phones offer Sprint TV except for the ic902. Why? Because ONLY the ic902 is EVDO rev A capable/ready. The rest are 1xrtt at best. Applications that do NOT require EVDO rev A data speeds will operate on any of the PoS phones, but only the ic902 will be able to take advantage of EVERYTHING that this company has to offer, esp under the $99.99 Simply Everything plan.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ha ha, I have to laugh as I thought you were saying PoS as .... the phones are junk ora piece of .....

I know that iDEN has had voice dialing for a while as I have had an i836, i560 and some other blue looking one that I do not remember what its model was that all had voice dialing. The difference is that those phones required that I teach them a voice command print and assign it to a contact. With this ic602 it works out of the box. You just say, "Call Joe Mobile" and it calls Joe on the assigned mobile. It also will do things like "Voice SMS to Joe" and it will set everything up ... just open the flip and record the VSMS. It really works well, I was surprised. Given, every now and then it ask "Did you say ... " and it will pull a name that sounds nothing like that of what I said but that is usually caused if I am in noisy environment.

Yes, I am aware that the only ic model with highspeed is the ic902. I was pointing out the typo on the Sprint store website regarding the ic602 as we both know they do not have Sprint TV or the Music Store. That said, perhaps a SprintNextel rep would read this and take the initiative to have the webteam fix the error.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re-launch of the Power Source ic602 Buzz+ and ic902 Deluxe!!

Spetember 28th, Sprint will Re-launch  the ic602 Buzz+ and the ic902 Deluxe, as they have noted that there is still very high demand for these handsets.

Highlighted

Yet another example of Sprint having to recind a prior decision. Can this exec team make a decision and actually stand by it?!?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think it was a sound decision based on the fact that the phones are popular and there was a demand for them which will mean more sales.

Furthering the iDEN needs areemergency services, agencies and various government groups that depend on iDEN radio as they use private iDEN systems in some cases and want the ability to be able to set up iDEN inplaces of emergency. Until that service can be brought over to the other system iDEN will live on in at least the direct connect part such as is the case with the Power Source phones.

PowerSourceprovidesa best of both worlds scenario based on the CDMA telephone service and iDEN direct connect system... Including the off network direct talk backup. DCS is great but there are still some hiccups in the system such as needing to be in a high speed area and have a fairly good connection to the tower. They will also need to create a system for government and emergency agencies in order to be able to set up fast CDMA / DCS coverage that would bypass the public networks.

In light of the above, I think Sprint/Nextel did the right thing by bringing back items that will certainly sell.

Highlighted

Which was? Stating that they'd stop selling the ic902 and ic602? Or that they'll resume selling them?

Funny, if you look at their reported sales for the PowerSource (PoS) phones, they have sold a total of less than 3M PoS phones. Furthermore, most of that 3M or so PoS phones sold were sold to former CDMA-only users. So it isn't as if iDEN subs have led a path to CDMA. As such, it makes one wonder WHAT demand there really was. Furthermore, it makes you wonder WHY since Q-chat is now available. Is it because Q-chat DOESN'T work as advertised, or because of other reasons (e.g., lack of iPCS resolution)?

In my view, this company simply is afraid to make a decision and stick to it. It was going to launch Xohm back in April 2008, and then postponed it to July 2008, then it was to launch in September, and it finally officially launched on 9/26. Sprint announced in May that it would start charging for data use that exceeded the 5GB mark, yet it has yet to do so now that it's October. I could go on, but you get the point. Sprint sets a date, then fumbles and retracts it. It's nothing new. Sprint did that very thing when they launched ION too. Sprint just continues to repeat its history...it doesn't learn...it just repeats it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The iDEN vs. DCS / QChat issue remains because there is a large percentage of government and emergency responder agencies that use iDEN and require iDEN because they can roll out their own temporary iDEN networks in emergencies as well as the fact that some of them are using a private iDEN system. Qchat is indeed working, but there are limitations. They are that you need to be in a EVDO-Rev A service zone and generally need a good connection to the tower. They have been working great from the feedback I have received from people I know that have them. That said the above agencies, a large percentage of iDEN subscribers, require iDEN. Until a CDMA solution can be made we will not see iDEN go away any time soon.

In regards to the Power Source phones, I can give actual real life examples where these work great. I often travel on business and can attest to the fact that iDEN only phones had their coverage holes and capacity issues at peak times. Getting the CDMA / iDEN phone resolved that issue in full. I can now talk on the phone the entire time I am on the Parkway whereas with iDEN only I would have numerous coverage holes. I can now also take advantage of the CDMA call quality - it is by far superior giving clear landline phone quality to calls. iDEN is still superior to regular GSM though CDMA tops them all in regards to call quality. Further, I am now able to take advantage of real SMS, Voice SMS, MMS and all of the other data perks that CDMA offers. Another example, I a friend that has a company with about 100 Nextel phones issued had problems with the iDEN only network to the extent that they had to issue some of their employees Verizon backup phones as the iDEN phones simply didn't work in some areas. Since the CDMS/iDEN power source phones came out they where able to dump Verizon in full and issue Power Source phones to the people that had coverage issues. In this case, Sprint/Nextel won in full because of the PowerSource offering.

Sprint/Nextel has many reasons for changing, delaying or canceling things from time to time. Like I said before, they saw a demand for the Power Source phones and in such they ordered more. Since they are a solution for some, not all, there remains a reason to sell them.

We all can say if we where in the captains chair we would do this or that better but until you are there you do not have the full picture of what is going on. All in all, Sprint/Nextel is one of the best wireless companies offering cutting edge technology and a great selection of services. Sprint/Nextel is preferred by the tech savvy as well do their high speed network and the ability to run third party applications unlike Verizon which over-brands their items and locks the phones from using any non- approved Verizon applications. No company is perfect, but by far Sprint/Nextel and Verizon are the best and out of the two I stand by Sprint/Nextel as being the superior company in regards to offerings, technology and service.

The future does point to CDMA and QChat however until a solution equal to iDEN in regards to ease of deployment in emergency situations you will not see iDEN disappear. In fact, there are nicer iDEN phones on the block yet to be deployed.

I believe all of the phones, iDEN only, Power Source (Which is considered iDEN w/ CDMA by Motorola) and Qchat all will need to be reviewed case by case by the people buying them as they offer unique solutions based upon various needs and environmental conditions in regards to coverage. Of course, some may need iDEN D/C based on the fact that they use private iDEN networks and in such they can choose among the iDEN only or iDEN w/CDMA for telephone and data. All in all, Sprint/Nextel is offering a nice selection in each category so all should be pleased no matter what they choose to use.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/08/13/sprints-08-09-roadmap-blackberry-8350i-motorola-i576-motor...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/08/20/sprint-prepping-motorola-i365-renegade-and-a-pair-of-samsun...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat